DCS Newsletter discussion 20th May 2022 - DCS Newsletter - Flash Sale | Blackshark III Progress | Buddyspike

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

DCS Newsletter discussion 20th May 2022 - DCS Newsletter - Flash Sale | Blackshark III Progress | Buddyspike

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

51 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I want my BS3! 💥

Me too, I was hoping it would come this year, but resources seem to be too stretched for this to happen. We will see. Good to see there is work happening on it though. 

• Like 2

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

The Inertial Navigation System (INS) is based on dead reckoning by a double integration of aircraft accelerations that are measured by the accelerometers located on a gyro-stabilized platform. The fundamental property of the INS is the accumulation of coordinate measurement errors over time (platform alignment errors and accelerometer errors are also integrated twice). With the use of INS mathematical models, we have achieved a realistic error accumulation effect, as well as a physical alignment of the gyro-stabilized platform when the helicopter is started.

As a result, the INS-derived location can only be determined with limited accuracy. The error in the calculation of coordinates accumulates at the rate of several kilometers per hour and when starting the INS, it will be necessary that the helicopter remains stationary throughout the alignment procedure. Otherwise, a less accurate alignment will lead to an accelerated accumulation of errors. Three different alignment options will be available: “fast” allows you to take off rapidly but it provides low-accuracy during the flight; “normal” and “precise” provide better accuracy with greater alignment times.

From BS2 manual:

Helicopter Coordinate Corrections

The Inertial Navigation Unit (INU) has a tendency to gradually accumulate errors due to imprecise sensors (gyroscopes and accelerometers) and due to the limitations of calculation methods. A cumulative error in coordinate calculations can be up to 4 km after 1 hour of flight. Errors in coordinate calculations will affect flight path and determination of target locations. To compensate for these errors, they need to be corrected using one of two methods. When planning a flight path in the mission editor, INU reference points need to be setup (up to 4 reference points). It is recommended to use locations that stand out in the terrain – buildings, towers, bridges, road crossings, and river merge points that are easily located along the route.

When using INS for long flights, correction/fix taking points will be available. Prominent reference points on the ground with known coordinates make it possible to eliminate accumulated errors in two ways: by flying over the landmark, or by using “Shkval” tracking of the reference point located away from the route. Thus, navigation in Ka-50 will become more realistic with the simulation of INS errors that are present in real life.

From BS2 manual:

Coordinate Corrections Using Over-flight Method

Coordinate Corrections Using Shkval

So except the three different alignment options, I don't really understand what's new here ?

From BS2 manual:

The K-041 page is used to check the status of the K-041 navigation and targeting system. When in “WORK” MODE, a countdown timer in seconds is displayed next to the TIME OUT field. This indicates the time until the next INS navigation fix from GNSS.

If INU drift is updated by GNSS what's the point of over-flight or shkval fix point except in case of GNSS failure, that never happen in DCS ?

I probably missed something but this newsletter surprised me.

Cordially.

Edited by diditopgun
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

Does the GNSS even have the ability update the onboard INS? I've never seen it mentioned and since no INS drift was modelled before it was not an issue anyway. 

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD