Odd glitches with Varjo Aero

WelshZeCorgi

Three weird things are happening with the Aero I just started using.

1. Random camera issues. Despite using 3 lighthouses, the camera goes wild sometimes, completely throwing me out of the cockpit for several moments before slowly reeling me back in. Motion sickness ahoy!

2. Double mouse cursors the green/white cross used for flipping switches and pushing buttons are duplicated with one being much more opaque than the other. Strangest thing is that neither represents the true position of the cursor. The real cursor is somewhere between them. 

3. Stuff randomly disappears. Occasionally, an asset or object will just randomly disappear for a few seconds, usually reappearing. This is especially frustrating when trying to dogfight or trying to obtain tally as I'm going into the merge only to see it suddenly appear out of nowhere or suddenly disappear, rendering me helpess before it reappears on my six. 

Is this normal? Feel like a lot of people would be talking about these problems if they were universal. Is it just my headset?

Which mode are you running DCS with, Varjo’s OpenVR or Steam’s OpenVR or OpenXR?  Did you check out the Varjo general guide thread?

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 4 weeks later...

Another Varjo Aero user here.

Can confirm points 2 and 3 from the OP.

Regarding the disappearing objects in DCS (point 3), I find that when I change the angle with which I'm looking at the object, it will reappear. For example, in a P51, if I'm looking at a plane through my gunsight, it may disappear, but then reappear when I lift my head a touch to see it through just the canopy. I find this is also true for smoke and fire effects on the ground.

PC: Vengeance i7200  I  i9-11900K  I  RTX 3090  I  2x 2TB M.2. I  64GB DDR4-3200  I  Windows 10

Controls: TM Warthog Stick and throttle  I  Logitech Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

VR: Varjo Aero I  Oculus Quest 2

On 5/20/2022 at 11:49 PM, WelshZeCorgi said:

Three weird things are happening with the Aero I just started using.

1. Random camera issues. Despite using 3 lighthouses, the camera goes wild sometimes, completely throwing me out of the cockpit for several moments before slowly reeling me back in. Motion sickness ahoy!

2. Double mouse cursors the green/white cross used for flipping switches and pushing buttons are duplicated with one being much more opaque than the other. Strangest thing is that neither represents the true position of the cursor. The real cursor is somewhere between them. 

3. Stuff randomly disappears. Occasionally, an asset or object will just randomly disappear for a few seconds, usually reappearing. This is especially frustrating when trying to dogfight or trying to obtain tally as I'm going into the merge only to see it suddenly appear out of nowhere or suddenly disappear, rendering me helpess before it reappears on my six. 

Is this normal? Feel like a lot of people would be talking about these problems if they were universal. Is it just my headset?

I get number 1 pretty regularly, never an issue with my index and nothing about my lighthouses has changed so its got to be something with the aero's tracking

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

Can't say I have seen this with my Aero.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 6/14/2022 at 2:35 PM, dburne said:

None of these things have happened to you? Including the double mouse?

On 6/14/2022 at 11:30 AM, JordanLField said:

Another Varjo Aero user here.

Can confirm points 2 and 3 from the OP.

Regarding the disappearing objects in DCS (point 3), I find that when I change the angle with which I'm looking at the object, it will reappear. For example, in a P51, if I'm looking at a plane through my gunsight, it may disappear, but then reappear when I lift my head a touch to see it through just the canopy. I find this is also true for smoke and fire effects on the ground.

Is this a DCS or Varjo Issue? cause I'm getting frustrated with how often this is happening. Makes everything x1000 more difficult unnecessarily. joining up, dogfighting and avoiding collisions with other players on the tarmac. 

20 minutes ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

None of these things have happened to you? Including the double mouse?

Correct.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

How did that work? you just plugged it in and hit go?

Not quite sure I understand the question? When I got my Aero in late Jan I installed the software as instructed and off I went. Did a clean install of Steam VR as well when I installed Varjo Base.

Don B

1 hour ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

No, that answers my question. Kinda weird, though. how it doesn't affect you but does to me and others. Wonder what the difference is. 

I honestly have no idea. I can only say when I got my Aero I started fresh wiping out any and all remnants of previous headsets to include a fresh clean Steam VR install. For about the first three months I used a regular mouse with no issues, and for about the last three months been using Point CTRL rather than the mouse. It too has no issues with it.

Don B

On 6/14/2022 at 3:35 PM, dburne said:

I'm thinking that a clean SteamVR install might fix some of these issues. SteamVR will not run while my Varjo software will running. I'm running openXR in the Varjo Base. I'll try that tonight and let you know if anything changes.

Not sure if this is a Varjo, Eagle Dynamics, or SteamVR issue.

PC: Vengeance i7200  I  i9-11900K  I  RTX 3090  I  2x 2TB M.2. I  64GB DDR4-3200  I  Windows 10

Controls: TM Warthog Stick and throttle  I  Logitech Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

VR: Varjo Aero I  Oculus Quest 2

2 hours ago, JordanLField said:

I'm thinking that a clean SteamVR install might fix some of these issues. SteamVR will not run while my Varjo software will running. I'm running openXR in the Varjo Base. I'll try that tonight and let you know if anything changes.

Not sure if this is a Varjo, Eagle Dynamics, or SteamVR issue.

I used the below method to clean out my Steam VR install prior to installing the Aero and a fresh install of Steam VR.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/2/1640917625015598552/

I had previously used a Reverb G2 and a Vive Pro 2 so wanted to get it cleaned out as good as I could for the Aero.

Don B

@JordanLField, @WelshZeCorgi

guys, if you're having issues with objects appearing/disappearing the most likely culprit is in the shaders, i.e.:

- remove ALL mods from DCS

- remove ReShade if you're using it

- run a repair/file integrity check to replace all of the shaders with the stock ones

- delete FXO and Metadata cache (in SavedGames\DCS)

After that try AERO and see if the results are any different.

Yea me either. 

The SteamVR worked out of the box (using the initial instructions)-and then the composite XR worked too (using initial instructions).

I had an Index, then Vive Pro 2.

I did uninstall SteamVR and did the wipe using the below:

definitive method to reset or restore SteamVR to default / factory options (clean Reinstall) :: SteamVR Troubleshooting (steamcommunity.com)

But it has worked pretty well. 

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.