Massive performance drop with worse graphics. Anybody else?

Shibbyland

As per title.

Just updated to latest open beta.

Enormous performance drop from usually around 60-90 FPS depending on location to as low as 9 FPS. Worst on Syria map.

The grass is very weird now, regardless of grass/clutter setting, I have to be extremely close for it to show. This makes the environment look very flat and strange.

Every time there's an update I'm losing performance, it's reaching the point I just can't keep playing this anymore.

System specs:

i7 9700k @ 3.6 Ghz

Geforce RTX 2060

32 GB RAM (about 2 years old)

DCS installed on it's own 1 TB samsung 970 evo SSD

Is this a known issue with this beta?

"it's reaching the point I just can't keep playing this anymore. "

I know that feeling very well, the twitchy performance issues can be rather demotivating and frustrating.  Fear not though, you will get some twit that will come here insinuate that it's all in your mind. However this current version is running ok for me, no real issues apart from the ones that have been around for about 4000 years.

• Like 1

I feel your pains guys my Rig just aint fast enough for DCS .......... or DCS is terribly poorly coded

8700K @ 4.9Ghz, 3080XC3 Oced , 64G RAM @ 3600Mhz , DCS on a 2TB NVME (3600Mhz) playing on a 3400 x 1440 Gsync Screen

FPS is still poor

I will qualify my statement with "I fly helicopters a lot so I am close to the ground"

Edited by HC_Official
  • Like 1

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

i have a hugely over performing rig as seen in my sig. i have no issues ever (knocking on wood). when an update come out, i clear my texture folders, i check my graphics options (sometimes just clicking to change something and back). when NVIDIA patch comes out, i do the same steps and also make sure nothing is new in the NCP. also sometimes clicking something to change and back. its free and perhaps this may help others. one has to ask, why is my computer having issues whereas others with similar hardware are not. it could also be windows settings. get it to where it is happy and then leave it be. don't try to get another few FPS. and by the way, FPS is not always a good specification to use for performance. its like HP for cars. it sells cars.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I can't wait for Vulkan API

To those who have performance issue, i found it really useful, if you are an Nvidia user to just delete gforce experience, and the control panel. If AMD have some sort of software to the gpu, then do the same

Download reshade, then find DCS.exe and run it on the latest direct X

Remember to choose what kind of fx you want.

DCS runs best on 2x MSAA and 2X FXAA. All the other antialising option like SSAO should be off. It is very gpu heavy. After that adjust the clutter/grass and preload radius. I run my graphics with no traffic everything else set to high. Afterwards play with one setting at a time as you choose. I have steady 60fps.

The problem is that this game is so old, that it is not utilizing multicore yet, and the GPU bottlenecks at some certain areas because rendering in this current engine is a nigtmare, unless you have a high end gpu

Edited by Divutski

1 hour ago, Divutski said:

unless you have a high end gpu

even with my specs there is weirdness. i play exclusively SP and many of the same missions over and over. some days it is perfect and others it is jittery.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

2 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

even with my specs there is weirdness. i play exclusively SP and many of the same missions over and over. some days it is perfect and others it is jittery.

Well you could try with reshade. I have a friend with a 3090rtx and it runs so much better from a 3rd party software. Its just a temporary fix until DCS gets an upgrade. Remember to delete fxo, tracks, logs and metashaders in your saved games folder

😉

• Thanks 1