Slow windows shutdown restart sleep with AMD Adrenalin drivers

Does anyone experience this? I'm struggling with the issue since mid 2021. The problem is extremely low-level and it can't even be diagnosed using WPR boot traces.

See https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/slow-reboot-and-shutdown-on-ryzen-5-2500u/m-p/497299

Edited by Bucic

Check Event Viewer Logs

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

23 hours ago, stormrider2 said:

Try enabling Boot/Shutdown verbose, you might be able to spot something.

Already tried that. The thing is, as with the failed WPR recording, the issue kicks in AFTER the display pipeline is done, i.e. display shuts off. But then the system fails to shut down/restart for a regular interval of around 2 minutes. This is why I call it a "bare-metal bug".

Sorry to say, but that bug is interesting, so to speak.

Have you tried a clean boot-reboot with only KB plugged in, nothing else, not even HDMI or DP.  Boot it up and then hit the power button once to tell the MB to shut down the OS properly.

Mind you, some Bios like my Gigabyte have the PW-Button on "Instant-OFF" as default, you better check that if you have a Gigabyte board.

Curios to see if it can be circumvented with minimalistic setup. Even HDD's can cause this if their firmware is not really up-2-date. If you can, disable everything but the OS drive and KB.

If the firmware of any device causes this, it is likely any other OS suffers the same. Have you tried a Linux ( 2nd drive, Bootstick, DVD etc.. ).

Somehow you got to corner that thing in to know which device causes this.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:45 PM, BitMaster said:

Sorry to say, but that bug is interesting, so to speak.

Have you tried a clean boot-reboot with only KB plugged in, nothing else, not even HDMI or DP.  Boot it up and then hit the power button once to tell the MB to shut down the OS properly.

Mind you, some Bios like my Gigabyte have the PW-Button on "Instant-OFF" as default, you better check that if you have a Gigabyte board.

Curios to see if it can be circumvented with minimalistic setup. Even HDD's can cause this if their firmware is not really up-2-date. If you can, disable everything but the OS drive and KB.

If the firmware of any device causes this, it is likely any other OS suffers the same. Have you tried a Linux ( 2nd drive, Bootstick, DVD etc.. ).

Somehow you got to corner that thing in to know which device causes this.

I have found the culprit and a workaround and I refuse to find it interesting 😉 Yes, I tried Linux - the issue isn't triggered.

Sooo... I've noticed people sometimes mention Realtek refering to that problem. I dismissed it before. I have tested that reverting to AMD Adrenaline from June 2021 alleviates the issue. "So it can't be Realtek" Wrong!

It is an AMD GPU* Vs Realtek driver conflict. Reverting to some random release from 2020 of the Realtek driver for my """HD audio codec""" caused the issue to disappear. Now I can install even the latest AMD Adrenaline drivers/software.

* GPU not GPU. I bet it's about the HDMI Audio component

Edited by Bucic

Top job !

Now work yourself up the ladder to see up to which RLT driver you can upgrade before the error presents itself.

Used to suffer from a similar bug with Intel IRST drivers, took them 2 years to fix and thus I was using an outdated driver for that time.

The "other" workaround was a 3rd party Soundcard.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

3 hours ago, BitMaster said:

Top job !

Now work yourself up the ladder to see up to which RLT driver you can upgrade before the error presents itself.

Used to suffer from a similar bug with Intel IRST drivers, took them 2 years to fix and thus I was using an outdated driver for that time.

The "other" workaround was a 3rd party Soundcard.

Fffff@#@$@cc that! 😄 And Realtek. And that crab of theirs. Seriously. Over 2 decades of computing when I had a system problem it was either with Windows Update or the damned Realtek! Just when I bought the notebook in late 2019 I had a problem where sounds would be cut off if not played in succession. Guess what. The fff$#%# Realtek decided* they're going to put the chip to sleep each and every time it finished audio playback and it would take almost two seconds for it to wake up! WTF?! Fortunately there's a registry hack for that. Anyway, even though I remember what they did to Aureal 3D 😉 I bought Creative G6 USB sound card/DAC and I'm using Realtek just for microphone...

https://youtu.be/niqh3h8OC9w?t=55 ...but honestly I'm thinking about buing some 3 cm stubby little microphone (any recommendations, including just a pickup for DIY soldering?) for that G6 to just stick there so I can disable Realtek completely on my system, at this point out of spite I guess.

BTW, on the slightest hint of further problems I'm also going to disable any AMD audio components as well.

*or Lenovo, I don't care, I will still blame Realtek.

Edited by Bucic

Realtek, Promise, VIA and a few others belong to things I usually try or tried to avoid in the past.

Realtek LAN adapters, ehhh, NO..had my fair share of issues with those in Linux routers

and crappy stability back in the days when Gbit emerged. But tbh, Intel also has NIC's with serious issues, like the famous i225 Adapter in various versions.

I am really happy my own 225 doesnt make any trouble "yet".

The thing is, with Realtek Audio, you hardly ever have any options.

The board I am using had serious issues with Sound output steering in Linux, god that drove me nuts, with Ubuntu 22.04's kernel it seems to be fixed.

One would think Audio is a long solved thing, well....it ain't from time to time.

6 hours ago, BitMaster said:

Realtek, Promise, VIA and a few others belong to things I usually try or tried to avoid in the past.

Realtek LAN adapters, ehhh, NO..had my fair share of issues with those in Linux routers

and crappy stability back in the days when Gbit emerged. But tbh, Intel also has NIC's with serious issues, like the famous i225 Adapter in various versions.

I am really happy my own 225 doesnt make any trouble "yet".

The thing is, with Realtek Audio, you hardly ever have any options.

The board I am using had serious issues with Sound output steering in Linux, god that drove me nuts, with Ubuntu 22.04's kernel it seems to be fixed.

One would think Audio is a long solved thing, well....it ain't from time to time.

Realteks horrible Audio/LAN Drivers, Promise and their Crap ATA Drivers, and VIA with their KT133 Chipset drivers....

What's all Realtek on that board?, Disable the Audio Device and reboot, if problem persists it's not the SPU.

The Main Issue now with RealTek LAN and Audio Drivers, is the Chips use too much of the PCIe bus than they need too, which slows down anything using the PCIe Bus, which includes the M.2 SSD.

There's some prebuild gaming rigs that have Dual LAN Processors, a Realtek and a K1ller (or Realtek and intel)(or Aquantia/Marvell and Intel)

My Mainboard uses the later, and the Intel Port is Far more stable, rarely has issues, but the Marvell Port is significantly faster when downloading on steam etc, but prolonged peak download speeds either trip the windows driver recovery or it overloads PCIe bus and crashes the driver, so I enable it only to download large files, otherwise it's disabled and Intel runs as the primary, no worries, even the intel is faster than 95% of people's normal connection due to being on a server package.

Anywho, RealTek has a habit of driver's overloading PCIe, Especially in systems that use both the RealTek Audio Codec and the Lan Processor.

Even on a laptop, just disable that Realtek and free up the PCIe bus and use a USB SPU.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

4 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Realteks horrible Audio/LAN Drivers, Promise and their Crap ATA Drivers, and VIA with their KT133 Chipset drivers....

What's all Realtek on that board?, Disable the Audio Device and reboot, if problem persists it's not the SPU.

The Main Issue now with RealTek LAN and Audio Drivers, is the Chips use too much of the PCIe bus than they need too, which slows down anything using the PCIe Bus, which includes the M.2 SSD.

There's some prebuild gaming rigs that have Dual LAN Processors, a Realtek and a K1ller (or Realtek and intel)(or Aquantia/Marvell and Intel)

My Mainboard uses the later, and the Intel Port is Far more stable, rarely has issues, but the Marvell Port is significantly faster when downloading on steam etc, but prolonged peak download speeds either trip the windows driver recovery or it overloads PCIe bus and crashes the driver, so I enable it only to download large files, otherwise it's disabled and Intel runs as the primary, no worries, even the intel is faster than 95% of people's normal connection due to being on a server package.

Anywho, RealTek has a habit of driver's overloading PCIe, Especially in systems that use both the RealTek Audio Codec and the Lan Processor.

Even on a laptop, just disable that Realtek and free up the PCIe bus and use a USB SPU.

Get this. There is no way to identify the chip/codec! Even by DEV ID. Judging by forum posts it's often the case with Realtek in notebooks.

And thanks to Lenovo there is no way to disable audio feature. On the other hand notebook BIOS es rarely have this kind of toggles. Once upon a time a LAN chip exploded the lid off and the mobo still worked fine for me. A nice hole, with the rainbow integrated circuit guts visible. Which gave me an idea... 😉

• 6 months later...

That right there cracked me up 😄 When searching through the forums for my own posts about the game FOV values I stumbled upon my topic from 2014 I had no recollection of. The subject: your sweet boy Realtek!

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/105736-2014-realtek-audio-still-sucks/

Am 27.5.2022 um 03:04 schrieb SkateZilla:

and ONLY  AMD  seems to see this bottleneck and gave us TWENTYEIGHT PCI lanes on the 7000 series.   16x(GPU), 2x 4x(NVME 5.0 ) and 4x to the SB ( 5.0 )

That "should" by all math be enough for some time now. Intel nneds to throw in some more lanes too, this was my #1 reason why I used to built HEDT for myself when 

they offered more lanes but those days are gone ( Xeon and Threadripper are too expensive for my work scenario ).

It's like running in circles sometime, LoL

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to think that the blame could be on both sides - Realtek and AMD. But after reading stories like like this I'm getting pretty confident it's AMD's fault.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/13pvjzn/amds_graphics_drivers_on_windows_a_rant/