What UPS should i get if i have a 650 watt PSU?

..and prolly considering the fact DCS is running..

Do i get like 650 VA, 1000 VA or 2000 VA?

Anyway my goal is to avoid a complete shutdown of my rig.. when there'd be times the electric power would just go out for a few seconds to a minute, especially when there are thunderstorm CBs going around our place.. 

Of course, if the power outage seems long, i'd try to shut down my PC as fast as i can.

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Excellent idea !

For a 650w PSU you should get a 650VA UPS.  1VA = 1Watt.

If you have decent hardware and a pricey GPU I advice you to look for a "Sinus-Wave" based device.

The cheap ones have a 90° rectangle wave form and that may be good enough for your waterpump

or driller or any e-motor to run but it will stress your PC components a LOT over time. Your whole VRM gets hotter and less efficient,

will fail sooner etc.. .A SInus Wave based device is the best choice for sensitive equipment, the downside is less efficiency of the UPS itself and it costs more.

APC is my 1st choice, never used or solkd another one tbh, I would get a Smart-UPS with 650-1000VA. You may find one refurbished with warranty and new batteries, that can save you quite some money.

Where I buy mine, battery-direct.de, they offer used and new ones.

Expect to replace the batts every 3-5 years. What kills them mostly is HEAT.

Edited by BitMaster
  • Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

the higher the VA the longer the runtime.

however you should at least pick a unit that puts out more than 1:1,

If you over stress it, it will shut off.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

slr, I've been busy lately but anyways

so for UPS with Higher VA values, the more time i have to shut down my rig if it's a complete power outage?

and yeah, it's been the first time i ever read about sine wave UPS..

The only ones i usually see here are 650VA APC or some other brand it seems. Then a handful of 1000VA or 2000VA models.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

..and prolly considering the fact DCS is running..

Do i get like 650 VA, 1000 VA or 2000 VA?

Anyway my goal is to avoid a complete shutdown of my rig.. when there'd be times the electric power would just go out for a few seconds to a minute, especially when there are thunderstorm CBs going around our place.. 

Of course, if the power outage seems long, i'd try to shut down my PC as fast as i can.

Thanks
I have an Evga 650w psu and using a 1000w ups.
This ups rating is able to hold supply when there is power outage comfortably.

I had a lower UPS before and it would not hold power supply.
So a 1000w or above is good.
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Keep in mind, VA and watts arent 1:1,

1400va is 1000w output.

i have a 1000w PSU, and I use a commercial 2800VA/2000w APC, which gives me about 20 minutes of time under load conditions for the rig, and main screen, about 30 to 45 mins if system is idling.

My main unit filters everything, and has saved me thousands in potential surge and frequency damages.

I went as far as buying smaller APC units for my game consoles, TVs and Network Equipment.

When I upgrade to larger units, I repurpose the old one to a new role after getting new batteries.

Also for APCs, its best to check and replace the batteries every 3 yrs, yoi can go longer. but as the battery ages, the charge and amps it puts out decreases, which decreases runtime and max load capacity.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I just had some business with my electronics Guru today, a UPS at a customer place went dead.

He said, when I asked him about Sine Wave vs. 90° saw-tooth current...."unless you want to risc every VRM and exchange PSU every now and then..."

Whatever you buy, get a sine-wave device, at APC those are called "Smart-UPS"

Errata: sure, the VA is not the same as Wattage with UPS, Skatezilla's number are more realistic.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

ok then thanks all

Thing is.. seems that Sine Wave or Smart UPS are virtually non existent in our country.. #third_world_problems maybe lol..
or at least.. the handful of them (and hard to find..) seem to cost more than 1650 cards.. & seems only available to business or corporate entities..

Are non sine wave ups really that bad? 

I'm more inclined now to just grab any of those 1000VA and above rated UPS

Edited by pauldy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would NOT use a not Sine-Wave based device on your PC, hands down.

My pal, he's a full-blooded electronics guy where I take PCB's that need repair. He explained it to me with lots of technical terms that I cannot reproduce, but bottom line was, the 90° ON-OFF-ON-OFF will cause ( parts ) of your VRM to be stressed beyond good&bad because ( I try to get this right ) the parts in question have to buffer the current when the 90° is at 0 but the Sine Wave wouldn't be. There is more to it, but I am the wrong guy to explain. 

I trust my guy, if he says "DON'T do that if you have expensive devices, 3080!! etc....

If you have a 350€ 2nd Hand PC in a place where there are outages 5x a day, heck, yes, it's a bigger issue. But for a high end & pricey, rig, dont use Saw-Tooth current.

I see..
Ok then.. guess I'll just scrap the idea of buying any UPS.
I'm kinda concerned now with all that explanation.

..and that Sine UPS is essentially non-existent here sadly.

Edited by pauldy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]