Trim hat keybind for AH-64D (request)

SgtDevRupesh

Let me get it straight, not everyone owns a warthog and Orion hotas, making small adjustments for AH-64D trim is sometimes hard. 

With a trim hat just like Mi-24P, we would easily be able to trim very small movements with “not so expensive” sticks, DCS modules are expensive on itself and expecting that we all have nice sticks is kind of a bummer.

If you agree with my suggestion it would be nice to make ED add a trim hat (and maybe give an option to enable or disable it in a special setting for realistic users with fancy sticks). 

Thanks 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Thi is going beyond something. 🙂

We requested "Trim Reset" and thanks ED, they gave it to us but there must be a limit for requesting something that doesn't exist on the Apache. 😛

Edited by Devrim
  • Like 3

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• ED Team

The real AH-64D has no such trim hat. This wouldn't be a feature or cheat to compensate for how DCS simulates force trim, like the trim reset, or being able to display the controls indicator overlay in the pilot's vision, this would be adding a control mechanism that exists in some real-world helicopters like the Mi-24, but it does not in the real-world AH-64D.

This would be like increasing the performance of the DCS AH-64D to help those players that struggle with power management with a heavy weapons load. Would it make it easier? Probably. But it would also be unrealistic and inaccurate.

I'm not trying to sound like an elitist, because I'm not, but it just takes practice, not an expensive joystick setup. I use a Saitek X52 that I've had since 2008, and I can control DCS helos just fine. I don't have any fancy TM Warthog or Virpil controls.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Yeah that would be a no for me, even though I find my muscle memory from the hind and hip cause me to reach for the trim hat every so often when flying the Apache, I still would not want it unless it is part of how the AH-64 is. TBH I am not sure what having a fancy stick has to do with anything, fancy stick'ers are some of the worst sim pilots I have ever seen, like me for example.

Edited by Nevyn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So here's a request I know isn't exactly realistic considering the real chopper doesn't feature a trim hat for trimming in small steps.

However a trim hat functionality to make small trim corrections would be really helpful for those of us with regular spring centering jeysticks out there, as the 'hold and click' button trim technique is quite fatigueing and not very accurate for us as compared to if we were using a full length non centering stick/cyclic.

Edited by Hummingbird
  • Like 1

• ED Team

Already requested by someone else.

I'm against it. This goes too far in "cheating" the helicopter to death. The Ka-50 and UH-1 have never had such functionality over the past decade of their existence, and players have been extremely capable in those helicopters without such cheat options.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Under what conditions are you needing to make such precise trim adjustments?  And have you used different curves to give you more precision near the center of the axis?

You can always use external software, like Joystick Gremlin (and others) to give your controls two stages of precision.

• Flip a toggle switch on your HOTAS in one direction and your flight controls are 1:1 with the game, like usual.
  • Trim out the helo and let your controls center themselves.
  • Flip the toggle switch in the other direction and now the input from your stick is reduced to half, or a quarter, or whatever you want, to give you extra precision.
  • You need to do some aggressive maneuvers so you flip the toggle back to the normal position and man-handle the cyclic however you want.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:34 PM, Floyd1212 said:

Under what conditions are you needing to make such precise trim adjustments?  And have you used different curves to give you more precision near the center of the axis?

When trying to stabilize the chopper in a desired direction after a turn for example. I find the Apache very unstable in roll when just going straight, where it just always wants to subtly swing left & right like a pendulum in roll axis. By comparison the Hind is rock solid, and feels like a precision instrument.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hummingbird said:

When trying to stabilize the chopper in a desired direction after a turn for example. I find the Apache very unstable in roll when just going straight, where it just always wants to subtly swing left & right like a pendulum in roll axis. By comparison the Hind is rock solid, and feels like a precision instrument.

Yes, especially at speeds above 120 knots, the helicopter becomes incredibly unstable. I hope that this is just an error in flight behavior or the SAS (it's still early BETA). In my circle of friends, however, most of them have problems with the anti-torque pedals. Especially at speeds below 20 knots it is incredibly difficult to hit the point with the pedals that you need at the moment (no matter how you set your curve).

It's strange, even though the Apache has a modern SAS, the Huey and Hind are easier and more precise to fly. Like I said, I hope it's because Apache is early beta.

• Like 2

When I first flew the Apache the first thing I thought was "why does it not have a Bleep trim!"

But I am with Raptor9 on the bleep trim, It is not there IRL and should not be there in DCS.

• Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.