Feedback from relatively fresh DCS player

I've bought F-5E, because I really like that aircraft, and naturally, since I am new to DCS I wanted to single player thing to do to get comfortable. Well, this campaign is anything but comfortable. It is frustrating and annoying. Win conditions are completely unclear, when flying to waypoint's a lot of the time you don't get the messages for next waypoint (heading), because waypoint trigger area is miniscule, so you end up flying same mission multiple times just because everything is so confusing. I recently tried basic BF 109-K campaign, which was really cool, as when you hit mission end conditions, it even announces that you succeeded. Now with something like mission 9, the intercept mission, I've killed 4 bombers, and got "draw 50" result. why?? wasn't I supposed to kill them and that's it? I've flow that mission 20 times due to getting killed by migs or bombers not appearing at all because some kind of trigger was not hit by me flying not to perfect waypoint spot? It's incredibly frustrating to fly all the same distance for 10-15minutes and not understand why you can't see bombers or whether you hit mission end conditions.

It is super weird that to understand what are you supposed to do you have to watch someone else play the mission on youtube. this should not happen.

Edited by burscikas
added one mroe comment
  • Like 2

Hello, 

Couple of things here. In this campaign I'm assuming that the player can navigate properly they way you would have to in those conditions, without too many radio aids you will have to navigate, quite accurately, using visual references. The trigger zones are big enough for a seasoned player to reach. They are either 2 miles wide or rectangular zones that are bigger. Now, the missions you are talking about, mission 9, there should be 3 bombers there and not 4. If you could double check the mission number I would check it for bugs. Keep in mind that the last DCS update may have been introduced some bugs in the way AI is flying and following waypoints and the way they push from one waypoint to another. I'm waiting for this to be fixed. 

As for goals, primary, you need to land and be stopped, you speed should be under 5 kts. Also, some missions, I didn't want to put goals that are strictly related to what you destroy. For example. In a CAP mission or intercept. the key is to not let the enemy bombers to reach their target and drop ordinance. So, the victory conditions are calculated on the ground troops being alive. If you destroy those bombers after they reach their targets the mission will not count. This is more close to how a success would be counted in real life operations. 

However, due to changes in the DCS AI this may break sometimes, so if there's a mission where you feel like you did everything right and it's not working feel free to drop me a note or post a bug report here and I'll check it. 

Unfortunately I can't check each mission after a DCS update. 

Cheers,  

En 22/5/2022 a las 0:51, burscikas dijo:

I've bought F-5E, because I really like that aircraft, and naturally, since I am new to DCS I wanted to single player thing to do to get comfortable. Well, this campaign is anything but comfortable. It is frustrating and annoying. Win conditions are completely unclear, when flying to waypoint's a lot of the time you don't get the messages for next waypoint (heading), because waypoint trigger area is miniscule, so you end up flying same mission multiple times just because everything is so confusing. I recently tried basic BF 109-K campaign, which was really cool, as when you hit mission end conditions, it even announces that you succeeded. Now with something like mission 9, the intercept mission, I've killed 4 bombers, and got "draw 50" result. why?? wasn't I supposed to kill them and that's it? I've flow that mission 20 times due to getting killed by migs or bombers not appearing at all because some kind of trigger was not hit by me flying not to perfect waypoint spot? It's incredibly frustrating to fly all the same distance for 10-15minutes and not understand why you can't see bombers or whether you hit mission end conditions.

It is super weird that to understand what are you supposed to do you have to watch someone else play the mission on youtube. this should not happen.

I suggest you try a baltic dragon campaign, "the F15 georgian war" for example, to not fight against triggers and just enjoy, it's a different story.  I hope that the developer keeps improving their campaigns though.