Frame drop to 20-25 fps from time to time

Eisprinzessin

Just wanted to ask if other guys have same or similar issues:

I play over Open XR locked via tools to 45 fps (Reverb G2 V2) and it runs butter smooth (3080ti / i9-12900k). But from time to time (i have not found the way to reproduce the issue - sometimes after jumping into Mission Editor, sometimes if i hit F3 to enjoy a fly-by, sometimes after opening F10 Map), mit frames drop to 20-25 fps. Most of the time they doesnt go back to 45.

I had this all the time. with my old PC (3080 / i9 10900k / Reverb G2 V1), now with my new one with complete fresh installation...

Any ideas? Normal?

After restarting the game, everything runs smooth and normal again...

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

• ED Team

Hi, 

what input devices do you use? There is a known issue with Wingwin scripts creating cpu spikes, could it be this?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sounds more like failure to clear vram on view changes, not unheard of in DCS , and hopefully to be addressed by ED at some point

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

6 hours ago, Svsmokey said:

Sounds more like failure to clear vram on view changes, not unheard of in DCS , and hopefully to be addressed by ED at some point

Sounds like it to me as well, occasionally if I've started/restarted/switched multiple missions (with openxr) then the framerate will just drag to its knees and stay there till DCS is restarted.  For me, in steamvr it happens the instant you have a second restart (even the same mission/module/theatre), with openxr it needs maybe 5-10 restarts.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Yes i am on winwin (Orion).

But ... hm... i tend to the theory that somehow "the bottle is full" and has to be emtied.

Just wanted to ask if others have the issue as well...

As i said: Old system with this issue and new one as well...and only in DCS.

Edited by Eisprinzessin
  • Like 1

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

On 5/23/2022 at 12:23 AM, edmuss said:

Sounds like it to me as well, occasionally if I've started/restarted/switched multiple missions (with openxr) then the framerate will just drag to its knees and stay there till DCS is restarted.  For me, in steamvr it happens the instant you have a second restart (even the same mission/module/theatre), with openxr it needs maybe 5-10 restarts.

This is what i experienced as well. In steam VR it was more often. But anyway it is anoying - still in open xr

Specs:

On 5/22/2022 at 12:00 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

what input devices do you use? There is a known issue with Wingwin scripts creating cpu spikes, could it be this?

I don't believe that's an issue. I was thinking it could be since I had the same problem since I bought Orion 2 (I installed it the day DCS 2.7.12.23362 Open Beta from 28.04.2022 was released and there in the update might be the problem, I believe).
A friend of mine has TM Warthog like I had in the past and he's having the same problems with FPS drops, so that's exclude Orion 2 from the equation in this case. 

I've started noticing problems after DCS 2.7.12.23362 Open Beta from 28.04.2022.
My guess is - some overflow happens when it comes to VRAM or some problems with RAM page file when there is not enough of VRAM, since the thing that helped me out a lot was lowering a lot of my graphic settings. Before the mentioned update I was pushing my settings to mid-high easy, now I have to play low-mid to not have same issue as the author of this topic and my mentioned friend - which is sudden drops from 45fps stable to 15-20fps and plenty of stutter.

That FPS drop would last until I'd using Alt-Tab went out of DCS and using Alt-Tab went back to DCS while it's running (what was probably clearing some resources) - sometime it would bring back FPS to stable 45. If it wouldn't work it would require of DCS restart.

My specs:
i7-12700K
3080Ti
64GB RAM
m2 SSD
Reverb G2
Steam VR - Open FSR - Motion reprojection hard locked at 45 (The same issue was with Open XR and its own motion reprojection).

Here are settings I was using before an update DCS 2.7.12.23362 Open Beta from 28.04.2022 (high settings) and after that update (lower settings) - to avoid mentioned FPS drops. THat drops would occur on any occasion either Single Player or Multi Player.

DCS's hunger for resources is outstanding. The game can take 20GB of VRAM (AH64 on Mariana's Islands for an example). The most modern titles/the newest games - maybe not simulations, but still open world games - would take 4-8GB of VRAM... So, c'mon....

DCS Sett High.png

DCS_Sett LOW.png

Edited by MartinVoy
  • Like 1

System spec: Windows 10 Pro / i7-12700K / 3080Ti / 64GB / m2 SSD / Orion F16 Throttle / TM Warthog Stick / TPR Rudders / JetSeat / Reverb G2.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been experiencing the same thing. Quest 2 user with Oculus runtime, 3070Ti and 12700K running Win11. I would get smaller drops which I can sometimes clear by tabbing out and back in and then a big drop happens and I can't clear it unless I restart DCS.

Here's a video I took with Oculus mirror during which drop happened around 18 min mark. It was still flyable in VR but barely.

Similar to mine on reverb g2. And to answer my own question it doesn't seem related to nvidia driver as it seems to be gone. Not sure what dit it: removed icue link from my startup, installed the latest w10 update 21h2 and undervolted my 5800x3d. Fingers crossed, but I had my first days with butter smooth VR.

Edit: I mean butter smooth aside from the F10 freeze/stuttering and regular DCS memory leaks. But those will only get solved if they decide to update this soviet era game.

Edited by joca133

• 2 weeks later...

I lowered the graphics settings, especially textures to medium and terrain textures to low. It solved the problem. My guess is - it's some sort of VRAM overflow. With lower textures it uses less of VRAM and happens never more to me. The only card that can handle high textures settings now, is 3090 and 3090Ti (both with 24GB of VRAM). Otherwise DCS would load part of the textures to VRAM and rest of these to RAM, and there is the bottle neck I believe.

Edited by MartinVoy

System spec: Windows 10 Pro / i7-12700K / 3080Ti / 64GB / m2 SSD / Orion F16 Throttle / TM Warthog Stick / TPR Rudders / JetSeat / Reverb G2.

Am 25.5.2022 um 19:14 schrieb MartinVoy:

That FPS drop would last until I'd using Alt-Tab went out of DCS and using Alt-Tab went back to DCS while it's running (what was probably clearing some resources) - sometime it would bring back FPS to stable 45. If it wouldn't work it would require of DCS restart.

Exkat the same here, Normally I can play DCS with around 50-70 FPS. but from time to time they drop to20-24 FPS and stay there until I apply their mthode or a restart.

I believe it is happening because of dreaded old way of caching everything render ready for ram and VRAM. Now everyperson here uses DDR4 ram, PCI-E gen3 and SSD's so for a sitting simulator all assets can reliably loaded on time for render and windows 10 and 11 has already their way of caching (which you will see in your ram composition if you look closely during DCS running). This is at least my understanding about how things work in DCS. Everyone I asked to test this in reddid saw nothing but improvement. 

Please try this:

n game set preload radius to 10,000.

Go to graphics.lua in game config folder and open it with a text editor

Find those lines in the almost at the beginning of the file

Precaching =
{
around_camera = 50000;
around_objects = 10000;
around_types = {"world", "point"};
preload_types = {"map", "world", "mission"};
}

change the two bold values with a 0 for each of them.

This will stop game loading 50km of the game in full fidelity from you and also will stop loading the 10km surroundings of any objects in game (around any static active player or ai unit it is a lot of GB's)

Let me know what your experience is after this setting. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...