Reverb G2 Suddenly stopped working. HELP PLEASE!!!!

parxuk

As per the title. My HP Reverb G2 worked one day and not the next. All I get is Windows mixed reality attempting to start and then a message on screen that states:

CHECK YOUR USB CABLE. MAKE SURE THE USB CABLE IS PLUGGED IN TO THE SUPERSPEED USB3.0 PORT. ERROR CODE: 4-1.

Absolutley gutted because my whole PC/HOTAS is dedicated to DCS and without the headset I cant really use it (I gave my track-ir away).

The Reverb G2 is approx 15 months old and during this time I had the cable replaced with the V2. I am running WIndows 10. Am not aware of any software updates that would have occured to cause this. I have numerous different USB 3 ports and I have tried all of them as well as re-installing the lasest drivers, rescan for hardware changes in device manager etc. The device is visible in device manager as hollow lens sensor. I have unplugged power supplies, re-seated the cable in the headset, prayed etc but nothing has worked. The USB 3.0 ports appear to work fine with USB drives etc.

I have taken the PC apart and reseated power supply cables and the cables to the MOBO.

I have treated this headset like it's made of glass, and have annoyed the family by not even letting my teenage sons use it for VR. I also ensure that the cable is never trapped/bent and is well looked after.

The only thing I have done recently is swapped to openxr and removed steamvr and windows mixed reality for steamvr (or whatever it's called). Fairly sure I have used the headset since then, and dont really see why this would cause a problem anyway.

I have ordered a USB 3 PCI card to try just in case., but whilst waiting for delivery if you have any other suggestions they would be very gratefully received.

If the headset/cable is faulty I beieve the UK warranty is only 12 months. Cany anyone confirm? Once upon a time people used to state that in the UK you got 24 months regarless even though manufacturers would state only 12. Any comments to confirm or deny as I may contact HP? Dont exactly have a spare £600 for a new headset, and even if I did after this experience not sure I would buy another G2 if this one is faulty.

Thanks in advance.

Capture.PNG

Edited by parxuk
  • Like 1

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

make sure all the cables are firmly in place

unplug it the g2

power down the pc

power the pc back on

plug the g2 back in power first, and the usb

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks SOH. Tried that and every other combination, but no joy.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

One thing to check is the cable joining to the headset, I have accidently pulled it on occasion

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

58 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

One thing to check is the cable joining to the headset, I have accidently pulled it on occasion

Thanks again. I have pulled that cable and reseated it.

52 minutes ago, Leader98 said:

Can you test the headset and cable on another computer/laptop?

Did try on my 3 year old Dell Precision 7510 as it has a mini display port and also USB 3, however after plugging the headset in and running the initial WMR setup it failed stating the laptop doesnt support USB3. Not sure why as this is incorrect and the USB3 port works fine (it has standard USB socket and also USB C. Tried both without uccess), but my guess is that the cable is somehow broken and not getting enough power from USB on either computer.

I would hazard a guess that the cable has gone bad, is the be cable as old as the headset? If it was replaced under the HP warranty then there should be 12 months on that. It might be worth a phone call to the HP tech support and they might be able to help out.

Do you have the old cable that you can test it with? If you're in the Midlands you might be able to test against my cables for troubleshooting (I've got both the v1 and v2). My headset actually went bad with a 1-13 error and they sent the v2 cable out which didn't fix it so they sent a new headset entirely.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, Parrotnut said:

You are probably  aware of this but...., you know there is a tiny power button with a white LED when powered on the V2 cable?

Thanks and yes, but I appreciate the thought.

38 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I would hazard a guess that the cable has gone bad, is the be cable as old as the headset? If it was replaced under the HP warranty then there should be 12 months on that. It might be worth a phone call to the HP tech support and they might be able to help out.

Do you have the old cable that you can test it with? If you're in the Midlands you might be able to test against my cables for troubleshooting (I've got both the v1 and v2). My headset actually went bad with a 1-13 error and they sent the v2 cable out which didn't fix it so they sent a new headset entirely.

Thanks edmuss. I am in Bristol so not too close. I also think it is the cable. The new USB 3 PCI card arrived today but hasnt helped at all.

When I purchased the G2 in January 2021 it came with the v1 cable. I have had the cable upgraded to the v2 by HP in the meantime. Unfortunately they were VERY insistent I send the original cable back (or they would charge me) so I dont have the original to test against.

I will contact HP tomorrow and hope that the v2 cable is warrantied for 12 months and that they will send me another. 

Failing that bye bye DCS for a number of months (insert sad face here).

They will have the record of the V2 cable being sent out and that should carry it's own 12 month warranty on it. All depends on when you got the V2 really. Even if it's just out of warranty, play your face up and see if they'll send another out, they will ask you to test on another machine to confirm failure though.

Did the V1 cable work at all for you? Like I said if you were closer you could have borrowed mine to test. They didn't ask for the V1 cable back in my case as they were pretty sure it was the fault. I did have to send the old headset back though after I'd recieved the replacement.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

41 minutes ago, edmuss said:

They will have the record of the V2 cable being sent out and that should carry it's own 12 month warranty on it. All depends on when you got the V2 really. Even if it's just out of warranty, play your face up and see if they'll send another out, they will ask you to test on another machine to confirm failure though.

Did the V1 cable work at all for you? Like I said if you were closer you could have borrowed mine to test. They didn't ask for the V1 cable back in my case as they were pretty sure it was the fault. I did have to send the old headset back though after I'd recieved the replacement.

Thanks again. I have found the emails and it was September 2021, so provided the cable does carry a warranty they will hopefully send me another.

The v1 cable did work OK, but occassionally I had to pull the power and reset for the headset to be detected. The v2 is better because of the power button.

After a couple of weeks of me having the v2 cable HP were emailing me every couple of days to send the v1 back. They were insistent to the point that I thought they would persue some form of legal action if I didnt.

• Like 1

Yeah they were quite hot on chasing up the return of the failed headset for me.

I think you'll be golden, you should have a statutory 12 month warranty on all newly supplied items so phone them up in the morning 🙂

Just hope it's not the headset itself failed! That said, if you get the new cable and it doesn't fix the problem (and HP are unwilling to help further) then sell the replacement cable for 100 quid off a replacement headset.

23 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Yeah they were quite hot on chasing up the return of the failed headset for me.

I think you'll be golden, you should have a statutory 12 month warranty on all newly supplied items so phone them up in the morning 🙂

Just hope it's not the headset itself failed! That said, if you get the new cable and it doesn't fix the problem (and HP are unwilling to help further) then sell the replacement cable for 100 quid off a replacement headset.

Thanks for the advice. I will call them tomorrow.

🤬🤬🤬 Headset = 3 months out of warranty. The v2 cable they shipped me in September only comes with a 90 day warranty, so HP are offering me NO support and wont replace the cable.

Wouldnt have minded so much if the headset had had a hard life and been treated rough. Only use in sat down position a couple of times a week at most playing only DCS.

Pretty cross right now!

Edited by parxuk

I would give trading standards a ring 🙂

They have supplied a component as new (to replace the original defective component) but not provided the anticipated 12 month warranty on it.

Might not get you anywhere but worth asking the questions, however if you can prove without doubt that it's the cable that's failed then it should give you a much stronger case. Looking at it from their point of view, if the cable turns out to be ok and it's the headset that has failed then they're down a cable for no reason.

Might be worth asking the question on the OCUK forums or similar (as in UK wide) and see if you can arrange with someone local with a G2 to do some cable testing.

edit: note that I'm not a lawyer and have no legal knowledge so don't take my word on gospel!

Edited by edmuss

Thanks both. Think someone in my work also has a G2, so will try and borrow their cable first.

• Like 1

hace 7 minutos, PLUTON dijo:

Question, I intend to contact HP to replace my V1 cable with a V2 and I think
that they will ask me why? What exactly should I tell them?
If I have no real breakdown!😀

Say the same as I said, "my reverb g2 does not starts, I have a black screen in the device no matter what I do (tryed all solutions) I think is a cable issue", they are very reasonable with this...

reverb cable issue.jpg

Edited by firefox121

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

Audio issues and amd cpu. Severe flickering when sound is lost. That what I told them to get mine and they shipped one to me asap. Good luck.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Thank you for your very quick response
I will follow your advice thanks again
good flight.:pilotfly:
it's true that I don't have any problems at the moment, just from time to time and not every time a blue screen that lasts about ten seconds and I don't know why

tank you Burt👍

thank you Burt

Your welcome, I didn’t have any bad issues either but I damn sure wanted the V2 cable. They should not ask you to return the V1 cable either hopefully that still applies. It’s good to have a backup. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

firefox121 thank you for your advice👍:pilotfly:

Burt said:
Welcome, I haven't had any bad issues either, but I really wanted the V2 cable. They shouldn't ask you to return the V1 cable either, hope that still applies. It's good to have a backup.

Exact

• Like 1

I contacted HP support to send me
a G2 cable for my Reverb, I was very well received
he sends it to me and I should receive it Monday, May 31, it's very good
on the other hand, he told me to send back the old V1 upon receipt of the V2
I don't think there's much choice but to comply. Besides, I think it's fair. Thank you for your advice.
Have a good flight everyone.👍