Reverb G2 Suddenly stopped working. HELP PLEASE!!!!

parxuk

On 5/23/2022 at 11:23 AM, Parrotnut said:

Thanks. Tried without success.

Colleague in work took my headset home. Headset works fine with his cable but not mine and vice versa, so have proved that the 6 month old v2 cable is faulty. Absolutely not caused by me, so it has just failed.

Service call was escalted to highest level but they have refused to help in ayway so I have to purchase a new cable.

Oh well, it's only money I suppose.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Well the upshot is it's only the cable 🙂

As a matter of interest, do you run the cable above or below the frame and inside or outside?

The HP instructions videos show it routed over the top and outside of the frame, however every time you flex the frame hinge this then puts a dirty great big kink in the cable.  Route it under and inside the frame and it doesn't kink half as much.  I minimise the amont I flex mine as a matter of course but it's a terrible bit of cable management the way they show it should be routed.

Attached a photo of mine (with the leap motion fitted obviously) for reference.

edit: attached a screen crop straight from HPs setup guide

https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA7-5420ENW

image.png

PXL_20220130_170654454.jpg

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I had the same issue start about 1 week ago, 4-1 error no matter what. I found a fix for me, hope it works for you too:

1.) lower left search bar, search "USB"

2.) click on "USB settings"

3.) top left, "bluetooth and other devices"

4.) In there you should either find your headset, or an error item, which is your headset (unrecognized)

5.) right click you headset and delete (remove device).

Then plug and unplug you usb again to force it to re-install. Let me know if this works for you! GL

Edited by CaptBadTouch

I bought my Reverb G2 about month ago, so also had my 5min of WTF, but this tutorial helps alot:

3:57 - U have to realy hard push the cable until u hear "CLICK". And the DOT on cable almost hide in the HMD. Second WTF was when I try (yeah - I know every tutorial says that shoult be default, but I had to try) the PIXEL DENSITY other than 1.0 - black screen immidietly.

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

I hope the cable is one of the things they improve for a potential G3. They solved the USB connectivity, but not the cable longevity.

The cables are too expensive for this nonsense. And they wouldn't even let people keep the rev1 cables as a (admittedly poor) backup, despite initially saying they would.

Just looking at that video you can see the kink that is applied to the cable, route it inside and below the frame, there is no kinking that way.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

• 5 months later...
On 5/22/2022 at 1:47 PM, parxuk said:

As per the title. My HP Reverb G2 worked one day and not the next. All I get is Windows mixed reality attempting to start and then a message on screen that states:

CHECK YOUR USB CABLE. MAKE SURE THE USB CABLE IS PLUGGED IN TO THE SUPERSPEED USB3.0 PORT. ERROR CODE: 4-1.

Absolutley gutted because my whole PC/HOTAS is dedicated to DCS and without the headset I cant really use it (I gave my track-ir away).

The Reverb G2 is approx 15 months old and during this time I had the cable replaced with the V2. I am running WIndows 10. Am not aware of any software updates that would have occured to cause this. I have numerous different USB 3 ports and I have tried all of them as well as re-installing the lasest drivers, rescan for hardware changes in device manager etc. The device is visible in device manager as hollow lens sensor. I have unplugged power supplies, re-seated the cable in the headset, prayed etc but nothing has worked. The USB 3.0 ports appear to work fine with USB drives etc.

I have taken the PC apart and reseated power supply cables and the cables to the MOBO.

I have treated this headset like it's made of glass, and have annoyed the family by not even letting my teenage sons use it for VR. I also ensure that the cable is never trapped/bent and is well looked after.

The only thing I have done recently is swapped to openxr and removed steamvr and windows mixed reality for steamvr (or whatever it's called). Fairly sure I have used the headset since then, and dont really see why this would cause a problem anyway.

I have ordered a USB 3 PCI card to try just in case., but whilst waiting for delivery if you have any other suggestions they would be very gratefully received.

If the headset/cable is faulty I beieve the UK warranty is only 12 months. Cany anyone confirm? Once upon a time people used to state that in the UK you got 24 months regarless even though manufacturers would state only 12. Any comments to confirm or deny as I may contact HP? Dont exactly have a spare £600 for a new headset, and even if I did after this experience not sure I would buy another G2 if this one is faulty.

Thanks in advance.

Capture.PNG

So did you find a reason finally? It was the cable?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro