Laser Spot Track from Pilot Seat in MP?

Fakum

If I am in Multiplayer, and in the Pilot seat, and George is in Front seat. Can I target JTAC lazed targets? Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I don’t think “spot track” is what you’re asking for. But if you’re curious if George can pick up the return of an LRFD code from a JTAC, it depends currently.

the way I know how to get it to work with current George issues is to WAS missile yourself as pilot and fire LOAL in direction of lazed target making sure to be outside of minimum effective LOAL range 

Similar to this, where I fire hellfire from pilot seat, wait a few seconds, then unmask and have George select the target to laze it. This is own-ship LOAL. Buddy laze with JTAC would be similar , you just fire in direction of the lazed target with matching code and within min/max range requirements 

start at 1:47

Edited by S. Low
  • Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

If you have LOS to the target, you can essentially fire LOBL.  Set ACQ to SKR and you will see the dashed cross on the Lased spot (not necessary but useful for reference - Casmo called this "Poor man's Laser Spot Tracker").

You'll see a message to the right of the High Action Disply, PRI CHAN TRK to show the missile is tracking a laser spot and you can fire it.

- all from back seat without George in the mix

Edited by Recluse

I dont think I really know either, I know what im trying to achieve (if doable). I just want to be able to go in and attack on JTAC laser from the back seat in Multiplayer. I know I have to set codes, but how to do it from the back seat left me scratching my head. I havnt tried it from the front seat because I havnt been flying in mutliplayer as a CPG, but I know the front seat has a button for "LST", which I presume he could search for the JTAC lazer within his field of view (or regard?). If I can get George to find the JTAC lazer, and he can get it up on the TADS so I can see it from the back seat, that would be great.

@Recluse Yes, I was watching Casmos tutorial and saw that "Poor man's Laser Spot Tracker". I believe that was from the front seat tho yes?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

2 minutes ago, Fakum said:

I dont think I really know either, I know what im trying to achieve (if doable). I just want to be able to go in and attack on JTAC laser from the back seat in Multiplayer. I know I have to set codes, but how to do it from the back seat left me scratching my head. I havnt tried it from the front seat because I havnt been flying in mutliplayer as a CPG, but I know the front seat has a button for "LST", which I presume he could search for the JTAC lazer within his field of view (or regard?). If I can get George to find the JTAC lazer, and he can get it up on the TADS so I can see it from the back seat, that would be great.

@Recluse Yes, I was watching Casmos tutorial and saw that "Poor man's Laser Spot Tracker". I believe that was from the front seat tho yes?

In Casmo's video, YES, but it works just as well from the back seat. I'll try to upload a trk if I can..

Edited by Recluse

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Fakum:

you cant "spot" the laser from the JTAC with the AH64 from the backseat at this time (or ever AFAIK).

But when the JTAC gives you a target grid and a laser code, you can enter that grid as a target point via TSD and align the Helicopter to the target. Then be in range, WAS the hellfires and shoot at it. There are already roughly 3 threads about this topic...

Default A code is always 1688 at this time and default AI JTAC (non scripted) laser code is 1688.

Good to know,,, Also, I have been Google searching DCS Apache Laser Spot Search in different variations since yesterday, I found quite a bit, but nothing relative to my point. I would be grateful if you linked me to those threads.

16 minutes ago, Kharrn said:

you cant "spot" the laser from the JTAC with the AH64 from the backseat at this time (or ever AFAIK).

But when the JTAC gives you a target grid and a laser code, you can enter that grid as a target point via TSD and align the Helicopter to the target. Then be in range, WAS the hellfires and shoot at it. There are already roughly 3 threads about this topic...

Default A code is always 1688 at this time and default AI JTAC (non scripted) laser code is 1688.

Actually you CAN when you set ACQ to the SKR... See attached TRK. Crappy flying... I always fly in VR, but this was pure 2d without TRACKIR or anything, I also forgot to call IN and wait for CLEARED HOT, but THIS time anyway, the JTAC didn't seem to mind.

In this case, I knew my targets were at W01, so I used the W01  as a reference for direction and distance vs. punching in the target coordinates.

JTAC_backseat.trk

Edited by Recluse
  • Thanks 1

Cant run that Track File, it says

nullimage.png

1 hour ago, Fakum said:

If I am in Multiplayer, and in the Pilot seat, and George is in Front seat. Can I target JTAC lazed targets? Thanks,

In SP it works so I think in MP too (even with CA):

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

im gonna wait to see this in a video, but I just want to be a little clearer, Im not just looking to change the laser code to match JTAC and then just fire off a Hellfire and hope it goes to target, I want to be able to pick up the target from and aquire it so I can identify from the back seat before firing. Hope Im making sense

3 hours ago, Fakum said:

im gonna wait to see this in a video, but I just want to be a little clearer, Im not just looking to change the laser code to match JTAC and then just fire off a Hellfire and hope it goes to target, I want to be able to pick up the target from and aquire it so I can identify from the back seat before firing. Hope Im making sense

Yes.. I am converting my TRK to a video and I will upload it shortly...   You can't do EXACTLY what you want, in terms of IDENTIFYING from the back seat other than getting a CUED LOS dashed cross where the LASER spot is. You can't slave it to TADS video from BACKSEAT, but at least you can SEE where the JTAC laser is pointing at from the backseat.

In the video, the Cued LOS doesn't look like it is over the target due to the way the IHADSS is in the 2d. When I flew it, the Cued LOS was right over the target (as best as I could tell from 7 km out.   As far as the video, you'll have to trust me  on this  😀.

I'll try to get a TRK again later without the A-4 mod which should show it better. UGH don't know why the video quality is so bad either.. hopefully it will help.

Video removed... wasn't useful.

Edited by Recluse

• ED Team

The LST isn't implemented yet in Early Access, so the closest you are going to get is change the missile channel to match the laser code being used by the JTAC, and allow your missile seeker to acquire the designation while using SKR as your ACQ aa others have mentioned above. You can do this all from the backseat.

Now, you can put your HMD LOS directly over the ACQ crosshairs after the missile has found the laser designation, and then cue George to scan in that area, but obviously that won't guarantee he will find the same target your missile is tracking.

There is no way to specifically do what you are asking @Fakum, even after the LST is implemented, because it can't be used from the backseat; the LST is a part of the TADS, and only the CPG can directly control the TADS.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

@Recluse Thanks for the vid,, I really coudnt make anything out, but I very much appreciated the effort!

@Raptor9 Thanks for the clarification,, understood. That certainly clears this up for me it seems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fakum said:

@Recluse Thanks for the vid,, I really coudnt make anything out, but I very much appreciated the effort!

@Raptor9 Thanks for the clarification,, understood. That certainly clears this up for me it seems.

Yeah, sorry. Don't know what happened with the quality there.

So, basically, like Raptor9 said:

- On WPN page set ACQ to SKR

- Make sure HELLFIRE channel is what the JTAC is using (always 1688 for built in Mission Editor JTAC, may vary for CTLD)

WAS Hellfires from back seat.

- Point in direction of target (either from creating a TGT PT/Waypoint from JTAC coords, or with knowledge of another waypoint.

-When the laser fires, you will see the CUED LOS cross on it, and a PRI CHAN TRACK message.

Try this track..

JTAC_backseat2.trk

Ok, thanks you for the vid,, and comments! I will put this into practice and see how it turns out. Thanks again

Ive found doing a CAQ drop with the cursor the most reliable way or enter the coords the JTAC gives you and CAQ that. I get a lot of misses when not having acquisition point designated or you are masked behind terrain otherwise.

Attached is a little practice mission that helped me learn the process

Persian Gulf - Nightmoves.miz

Edited by spikenet
update miz file

I will check that out this week, thank you!

So, FYI just did a multiplayer session and Buddy Lasing worked fine (as described for Single Player) with the Shooter using SKR as ACQ and matching Channels with the Buddy Laser code (actually we just left it at default Channel A, but later switched to B for Buddy Lase Code and Shooter Channel and it worked there as well. Everyone in the Back Seat.

Btw. I didnt check it at night yet but is it possible too see radius of laser in NVG or PNVN? Is it visible by player in AH64?

I write about this:

image.jpeg

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

32 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Btw. I didnt check it at night yet but is it possible too see radius of laser in NVG or PNVN? Is it visible by player in AH64?

I write about this:

image.jpeg

Works with NVG but not with PNVS or TADS.

• Like 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

1 hour ago, lefuneste01 said:

Works with NVG but not with PNVS or TADS.

Thx for reply.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Just now, spikenet said:

In NVG, try that mission I created, its night and all JTAC designated targets. Its so cool doing night ops in this chopper!

I don't think you should be able to see the Laser only  in NVG.  For JTAC there is the option of IR pointer or IR Pointer + Laser.