Current state of the Harrier?

MarkBLN

6 hours ago, MarkBLN said:

I just wanted to check what the current state of this is?

Mostly complete, with a handful of bugs/regressions that Razbam are working through i.e. 3 steps forward, 1 step back type of bug squashing.

The only thing that really annoys me is that in INS mode, the target point slews opposite to everything else i.e. TPOD, IR MAV, DMT TV, etc., at this stage I'm not even sure if it's WIP/low priority or if Razbam don't consider it a bug.

The AV-8B is especially nice if you want to spot 10 targets with the TPOD and TOO (target of opportunity) them to JDAMs and drop 10 in a single pass.

It's still the module that has my most flight hours.

6 hours ago, MarkBLN said:

Are there many features or systems still to be implemented?

AFAIK everything is in but for example AWLS/ILS doesn't work in Nevada and hasn't been updated to include AWLS/ILS channels for Syria and Marianas.

IIRC there was some discussion of modelling the DITER BRU-70 ejector rack to make modern loadouts more realistic but the AV-8B is already a bit of a bomb truck and I'm not sure how much they'd add to DCS - adding them is likely far behind getting the avionic logics correct (IIRC there's still some TPOD logic that needs "tuning").

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Ok, thanks for the reply buddy. Good to know it's mostly complete. Pretty new to DCS. Just tried 14 days trial on the f18 and now wanted to try the same with this, then pick one as my first module. 

Coming from regular flight simming (non combat), I'm really surprised at the little to no autopilot functionality in some of the military planes. The f18 wasn't too bad, with the ability to tie the AP to your route for flying waypoints, hands off autoload(although only on carrier), autothrottle etc., but the Harrier is really lacking any of this. Is anyone familiar with the real plane and later versions perhaps, if that functionality was added? 

15 minutes ago, MarkBLN said:

Ok, thanks for the reply buddy. Good to know it's mostly complete. Pretty new to DCS. Just tried 14 days trial on the f18 and now wanted to try the same with this, then pick one as my first module. 

Coming from regular flight simming (non combat), I'm really surprised at the little to no autopilot functionality in some of the military planes. The f18 wasn't too bad, with the ability to tie the AP to your route for flying waypoints, hands off autoload(although only on carrier), autothrottle etc., but the Harrier is really lacking any of this. Is anyone familiar with the real plane and later versions perhaps, if that functionality was added? 

Not familiar with the real plane or later versions but the functionality in the harrier isn't too bad. No autothrottle but once you are at alt you can set and it will chug along nicely. 

The Harrier was my first module purchase after FC3.
I have since acquired nearly every jet aircraft except for the two trainers, F-14, JF-17, A-10C.

The Harrier in my opinion is more enjoyable for me.

The F-16 and F-18 will fly themselves practically.

There is a sense of satisfaction when you learn to be effective in the Harrier.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Get the trial and see if you like it.

Then let us know.