Temperature on intel i9-12900k with AIO ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360

Hellou,

first sorry for my poor English. I have one question.

I build new PC i9-12900k with ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360, ASUS ROG B660F, Kingston Fury 32GB DDR5, ASUS ROG RTX 3080 10Gb, and 1x 120mm Noctua FAN (on back side case) and 2x140mm Noctua fan (on up side case). If i run DCS so tepmerature on procesor is 75 - 88°C. I have set DCS on Ultra details on 2560×1440. Aren't these temperature high?  I would expect water cooling to guarantee lower temperatures than air cooling.

thank you for answer

Molnija

I can't sadly answer your question directly but I can say this......

I have my old system with a year old Artic Freezer II 360 in it, sat atop a 9700k running 5ghz no sweat, idles in the 20s and peaking in the 70s

I also have a 10900k running a Lian Li 360 - that gets into the 80s touching the 90s under load at 5ghz......its just a barsteward to keep cool compared to the 9700k or the 10 is just a lot more needy.

Based on my experience of the AF2 I would buy another, not sure I would say the same about the Lian Li 360 cooler tho........looks pretty but that's about it.

Okey doke. Forget using DCS as a benchmark for temp problems if you can. 

Download Cinebench R23 and HW Monitor to check the temps of all the cores.

Do a multi core run and compare your temps with other people online, eg. Reddit or YouTube. Especially if any run a similar cooler. Then you will know for sure. Games have too many variables for a like for like temp check.

I would say that your temps being in the 70's while gaming is probably normal on that CPU. My 5900x is on low 60's with custom water in DCS.

You could check something like Jay2cents on YouTube, recently did an undervolt guide for 12th gen.

What Bossco82 said,

you have to standardize your test to draw conclusions.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Make sure your LGA1700 mounting adaptor is seating properly, and thermal paste is sitting on the whole thermal plate.

There are reported issues with AIO coolers not contacting all of the 12th gen die surface area.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb 72Stu:

Make sure your LGA1700 mounting adaptor is seating properly, and thermal paste is sitting on the whole thermal plate.

There are reported issues with AIO coolers not contacting all of the 12th gen die surface area.

Totally forgot about that issue.

When you dismount the cooler, maybe you can lift it straight up and thus check the mating. If the mating is really bad you need to find a solution.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

OK dude there is an issue with mounting AIO coolers to the LGA1700 socket. I think Thermalright have made a support adapter too. 

Just check with Cinebench and HW monitor first. If you see big differences in the temps "core to core" it could be a sign of a bad mounting. It could also be the internal thermal compound under the CPU's own heatsink. 

Basically if you see bad temps once you have tested. Re-seat the AIO with some decent thermal paste, such as Arctic MX4 or similar. Then check again, if you still have issues come back to the forum. I think you will be ok though. Most of 12th gen problems seem to be teething ones.

Best of luck mate.

There are Issues with the LGA1700. It can bent and if it does the contact between the CPU and the cooler isn't good. This leads to high Temps.

Roman "Der8auer" Hartung has described it on his youtube channel. He even sells a workaround mounting Plate for this. For furhter explanation watch this:

And no, you shouldn't lap your expensive CPU. But this Frame can make sense.

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

12th gen Intel chips run very hot by default. I have a 12700KF and had similar heat issues. My solution was to undervolt the CPU by 225mV. Not only did it get my temps WAY down (20+ degrees C), I actually had increased benchmark performance.

• Like 1