Trim microswitch "axis"

Dragon1-1

I have a simple suggestion to enhance the pedal microswitch trimmer system. Most of us have pedals with toe brakes. So, why not allow people to bind them to the microswitches? Now, most pedals don't come with a switch binding in addition to the axis, and many don't have an option to add one in software.

So, I suggest adding two options: 
1. Pedal microswitch axes. Enables pedal microswitch control by two axis bindings, one for each pedal microswitch. Cockpit animation optional but welcome (they seem to have a bit of travel IRL).
2. Pedal microswitch threshold. Basically, allows you to set how much you need to press the brakes in order for the microswitch to actually engage.

This would actually be very close to how the pedals are operated in the real thing. The idea is that you'd press toe brakes slightly when actuating the pedals, which is easy to do on most designs. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I have a simple suggestion to enhance the pedal microswitch trimmer system. Most of us have pedals with toe brakes. So, why not allow people to bind them to the microswitches? Now, most pedals don't come with a switch binding in addition to the axis, and many don't have an option to add one in software.

So, I suggest adding two options: 
1. Pedal microswitch axes. Enables pedal microswitch control by two axis bindings, one for each pedal microswitch. Cockpit animation optional but welcome (they seem to have a bit of travel IRL).
2. Pedal microswitch threshold. Basically, allows you to set how much you need to press the brakes in order for the microswitch to actually engage.

This would actually be very close to how the pedals are operated in the real thing. The idea is that you'd press toe brakes slightly when actuating the pedals, which is easy to do on most designs. 

What I would love is a “Toggle” option. Keeping toe brakes/button held is awkward, but if I could press toe brakes quickly/move axis back and forth to “toggle” modes I think that would work great, just like having the current bind that needs to be held also made into a toggle/or seperate toggle bind would be very nice. 

Edited by AeriaGloria
  • Like 2

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Here's the thing, you only keep the brakes pressed (just a little, unless you set the threshold higher) for as long as you need to move the pedals. Just like in the real helo, you press the switches when you need to move the pedals, release when done, and they stay in position. You don't fly around with them pressed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Here's the thing, you only keep the brakes pressed (just a little, unless you set the threshold higher) for as long as you need to move the pedals. Just like in the real helo, you press the switches when you need to move the pedals, release when done, and they stay in position. You don't fly around with them pressed.

I would! I mean they don’t just activate when you move the pedals. They activate just by resting your feet on them. Pretty sure you have to consciously lift your feet to release them 

Here is an excerpt from the manual on flight maneuvers, specifically the horizontal flight section, “For automatic heading stabilization, the steady-state flight mode
(without turns) at a safe altitude shall be executed applying weakened
pressure to the pedals (without pressing on the pedal tops).”

Which makes it sound like, if you’re not turning, and want heading hold, only way to rest your feet on the pedals (without pressing micro switches) is to consciously only press the bottom, where there is no micro switches 

In addition, under the section for hovering using autopilot, it says “For heiicopter stabilization in hovering in a selected directíon,
it is necessary to remove feet ťrom the pedaltops after AFCS activation.” 

I just get the impression, it takes very little pressure if where you place your feet is important. I mean, your not always moving the pedals throughout an entire turn after it’s constant and coordinated. And not all heading changes need pedal movement. It would be awkward to have it trying to hold heading while in a steady turn not moving the pedals 

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

Spent a few minutes looking through my technical manuals and drawing. They do not say anything about the amount of pressure involved. It merely says the surface is a rotating trigger mechanism supported by a small spring. 

The Cold War Museum manual available online does say this in its yaw Autopilot section

“ If the pilot’s feet are not on the 
pedals, the autopilot maintains the preset yaw angle, switching the directional flight control servo to displacement mode as needed to introduce large corrections. The speed of pedal movement in displacement mode is controlled by the hydraulic pedal damper in the directional control system. The yaw channel includes a relay which prevents the servo from switching to displacement mode if the pedal damper is disengaged. When the pilot’s feet are on the pedals, the sub-pedal microswitches activate and the yaw channel operates in stabilization mode. The yaw rate signal passes 
through a low-pass filter to prevent the servo from drifting to the stops while executing manual turns with the yaw channel engaged.”

My understanding from this is that, if feet are on pedals, even if still, micro switches are almost certainly engaged. I certianly wouldn’t want to turn with heading hold on

Here is a technical drawing and it’s translation from a 1976 Mi-24D/V manual 

4C15B946-8583-4BAB-9F79-0CB39002B689.jpeg

Edited by AeriaGloria

There is of course Molevitch’s video of the pedals he got from an Mi-8, also shared in Wolfpack’s video, showing the amount of pressure involved with his hands, let me know if it doesn’t play right 

Edited by AeriaGloria

I think this is a fantastic idea. Just had the same thought when I saw the new options.
I also like the toggle idea from @AeriaGloria as long as it's optional.
Watched the video and they move quite a lot more than anticipated. Actually, I didn't think they would move in this way at all. Very interesting!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I tried the same with my MFGs, but it gets annoying after some time. I even tried to reverse axis so microswitch deactivates if I press pedals, but that's not satisfactory either.

And TBH only time I need heading hold is during route flying, which I deal with by trimming helicopter out before I engage route mode.

I tried the same with my MFGs, but it gets annoying after some time. I even tried to reverse axis so microswitch deactivates if I press pedals, but that's not satisfactory either.
And TBH only time I need heading hold is during route flying, which I deal with by trimming helicopter out before I engage route mode.
InterestingHaven't tried it yet, but out of curiosity, which software did you use?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk