JDAM QTY release TOO1 and TOO2

oldcrusty
Go to solution Solved by Foka,

Regardless whether dropping 8 JDAMs in one pass happens a lot in RW... in DCS, especially in single player ground pounding, it's a nice feature to have.

Question: With both, TOO1 and TOO2 programmed for all 8 bombs, when stepping through weapon stations in TOO2 for instance, the target coordinates show all 4 weapon stations on TOO2 (remains boxed through stepping process)... cool.

Now, I decided to launch my TOO1 bombs first, so I box TOO1 and step through all stations but TOO1 is not being downloaded automatically. Each time I have to box TOO1 after every station step. Well... it's workable but does it really work like this in real jet?

I understand this makes it possible to mix programs in QTY releases but if I have 8 targets that 'just' popped up and I scooped them up with my FLIR pod, I seriously doubt I'd have time to be mixing and matching TOOs for my QTY releases :glare: .

Here's a short vid showing my fumbling with stations and TOOs but it did work. Does anyone have idea how this worked in RW... circa early 2000s or so?

• Solution

Station didn't switch to TOO2 by themselves, when you pressed STEP. They where in TOO2, because you finished programing targets on TOO2. If you want to bomb on TOO1, you need to change it on every station.

I belive you answered your question from last sentence in your first sentence - it didn't happend.
And even if that did - programming 8 targets takes much more time than switchng TOO program on 4 stations.

55 minutes ago, Foka said:

Station didn't switch to TOO2 by themselves, when you pressed STEP. They where in TOO2, because you finished programing targets on TOO2. If you want to bomb on TOO1, you need to change it on every station.

I belive you answered your question from last sentence in your first sentence - it didn't happend.
And even if that did - programming 8 targets takes much more time than switchng TOO program on 4 stations.

I knew I should have placed captions for every button push I was making...

I understood what was going on when I was testing and setting up for QTY releases. My question was about the TOO logic in real jet...  I guess I'm gonna have to pry other sources for info.

Anyways, I was curious why stepping through all stations with TOO1 program boxed, downloaded immediately but when switched to TOO2 and stepped through stations again didn't follow the same logic.  Each station had to be 'confirmed' by boxing TOO2 after each step, that's all.

1 hour ago, oldcrusty said:

I was curious why stepping through all stations with TOO1 program boxed, downloaded immediately but when switched to TOO2 and stepped through stations again didn't follow the same logic.  Each station had to be 'confirmed' by boxing TOO2 after each step, that's all.

Sorry, I can't follow, I can't see the problem. Logic of TOO1 and TOO2 is this same.

4 hours ago, Foka said:

Sorry, I can't follow, I can't see the problem. Logic of TOO1 and TOO2 is this same.

OK... 3rd time is a charm.  I guess what I really wanted to know is whether having a specific program boxed meant automatic download of 'that' set of programs for all stations unless manually changed.  Say I have 8 JDAMs again, all stations have TOO1 and TOO2 set. I have TOO2 currently selected. I release QTY of 4.  Now, wouldn't this be easier and faster to simply select TOO1 and with the QTY already set... it's just a matter of another pickle instead of stepping through all stations and re-selecting TOO1 on each.  If, all of a sudden there was a need to change to the other TOO, I could always do it then by selecting it manually.

Anyways, I raised this question since I always try to find a way to do things quick (cutting out few secs. can make a difference).  If it was up to me  :smartass:  , I'd make this process flow as simple as possible with the flexibility to change programs, if 'really' needed. But... if there is a reason for current mech other then slowing me down, I can live with it.

I should be able to get some feedback sometime next week unless someone here beats me to it.

It was probably never anticipated that you'd want to carpet-bomb something with JDAMs. Coordinates are set per rack, because it's quite important to make sure you want to bomb this exact thing that your coords are pointing to. It would indeed be easier to switch TOO for all bombs with a single button press, but considering all those coordinate sets can be different, I suppose the designers wanted to make sure the pilot has to verify that he's bombing what he think he is. Generally, TOO mode is not meant for dropping two bombs from the rack at two different targets, but rather for situations where you just want to drop a single bomb at a target that has just appeared (hence TOO).