DCS loses focus

moggel

(I have only seen this in VR so I assume it's not a thing in pancake.)

What happens, quite often, is I realize DCS no longer responds to physical buttons (HOTAS and other devices). Axis seems to work fine though. I have a TM Warthog HOTAS and also a SIM GEARS ICP (I'm pretty dedicated to the Viper) and both devices become "numb" when this happens, so it's probably not relating to the hardware itself.

What I need to do is quickly ALT+TAB to a different app and then back to DCS. That usually fixes it. Very annoying, especially when you realize nothing's happening when you try engage NWS after landing and the plane becomes unresponsive to rudder input and is starting to skid off to one side, or when you quickly need to work your switchology flow, running in for a ground attack while AAA is whizzing by on all sides.

Worth noting is that the "Window is out of focus" message, that usually appears when another window have obtained focus, does not appear in this case (until I actively ALT+TAB, of course).

Has anyone else seen this: Is it a bug in DCS or Windows? Any known workarounds (other than ALT+TAB)?

Edited by moggel
Clarified a bit

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

I usually avoid this by running in full screen mode

and or forcing it with ALT+ENTER

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

I actually wasn't aware I could go full screen with VR but I'll see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

You may also want to try the "Cursor Confined To Game Window" setting (in SYSTEM), so a click outside (unseen in VR) will not lead to a context switch.

Edited by cfrag

• 2 months later...

minimise the WMR window Maximise the DCS window, click in the DCS window.

If that doesnt work, bring up the WMR menu, and then close it , then click in the DCS window

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I didn't say close it,i said minimise it. 

On 5/23/2022 at 4:08 AM, speed-of-heat said:

AFAIK this hurts VR performance.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

The reason you are having problems is that the Wrong Window has the focus, this happens becuase you click outside of the Dcs game window, minimising the other windows that are in view reduces the likelihood, maximising the Dcs window removes it.

12 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

You are wrong.  If you have disabled full screen optimisation for dcs as per https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/104080-enable-disable-fullscreen-optimizations-windows-10-a.html

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Quite the opposite.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

8 часов назад, speed-of-heat сказал:

The reason you are having problems is that the Wrong Window has the focus, this happens becuase you click outside of the Dcs game window, minimising the other windows that are in view reduces the likelihood, maximising the Dcs window removes it.

You are wrong.  If you have disabled full screen optimisation for dcs as per https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/104080-enable-disable-fullscreen-optimizations-windows-10-a.html

Thanks a lot! Helped!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 10:24 AM, Igor T said:

Hello! Faced this problem, the mouse cursor does not work. can you advise what to do?

62EE3B5F-3EF8-4CD5-863D-169FB261B634.jpeg

I have also been struggling with this problem and I think I have found the problem! Yahoo! DCS loses focus when we click outside the game. We don't realize this when we have a VR headset on. I found that when I would click on the flap control in the P-51D which is very low, I would be starting other programs on my Windows task bar. My mouse viewed through my headset in VR was on the flap control but my mouse outside VR on my screen was on Microsoft Edge or P3D on the Windows Task Bar! The solution is to make sure you are running DCS with a full screen with the mouse cursor confined to the game. The mouse cannot be allowed to click outside the game to work other programs or the problems start. DCS should address this problem because being confined to DCS without access to other programs and windows is a burden. DCS needs to be closed to access other programs in this mode.  I hope this helps everyone. Please test and post your experiences here. Thanks.

Edited by maajr57

Point noted Flappie but that's not the way I normally change applications. I will start using it now to switch out of DCS to use another program. Any thoughts on the other issues like launching Microsoft Edge when raising the P-51D flaps? 🤣

i close all windows down in VR accept the game window . And this is at full screen but use VR resolution in VR tab . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .