Shouldn't the projectiles of the cannon have to be seen in the TADS camera?

SmokeyTheLung

I've noticed that the rounds from the cannon are usually visible in RL FLIR footage but not so in the new DCS FLIR. I've also found this interesting article on the thermography of bullets in flight. Would be a cool and realistic addition, unless I'm missing something obvious.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7764414/

• Like 3

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

• 1 month later...

I think this depends a lot on the angle. When firing off to the side, the gun LOS and TADS LOS are separated by a decent distance. When firing straight ahead the two are much closer, so you'd be more likely to see the projectiles in flight. 

In the Ka-50, you're always shooting straight ahead. 

39 minutes ago, Bunny Clark said:

I think this depends a lot on the angle. When firing off to the side, the gun LOS and TADS LOS are separated by a decent distance. When firing straight ahead the two are much closer, so you'd be more likely to see the projectiles in flight. 

In the Ka-50, you're always shooting straight ahead. 

Even if you shoot straight ahead you cant see them, day or night.

On 5/24/2022 at 6:52 PM, Andartu said:

No, No and No and just no.

Your reason because they don't commonly have that ammo in real life I assume? As far as I know there is a target practice round with tracer but not the regular HEDP.

Which seems an odd decision on behalf of the Army when the 20mm on the Cobra used to have tracer in the belt mix.

• ED Team
37 minutes ago, MoarDakka said:

Your reason because they don't commonly have that ammo in real life I assume? As far as I know there is a target practice round with tracer but not the regular HEDP.

There are no tracers used in real life, neither for combat loads nor training rounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

For those who think tracers would be cool, think about the two end of the "fire stream" that would be visible at night. True, the other end of the tracer salvo would be the target, but the very source of the same tracer stream would be yourself highlighted in the darkness, wouldn't you?

21 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

There are no tracers used in real life, neither for combat loads nor training rounds.

I could have sworn the manufacture offers a TP-T with the same ballistics as the HEDP. Maybe the US Army doesn't use it though.

You're right about the standard HEDP of course but it's a decision I don't understand their rationale for considering that the 20mm on the Cobra had tracer ammo.

• ED Team
1 hour ago, MoarDakka said:

I could have sworn the manufacture offers a TP-T with the same ballistics as the HEDP.

The manufacturer also offers M799 HE Incendiary, but no one uses that either

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

On 5/27/2022 at 6:41 AM, Razor18 said:

For those who think tracers would be cool, think about the two end of the "fire stream" that would be visible at night. True, the other end of the tracer salvo would be the target, but the very source of the same tracer stream would be yourself highlighted in the darkness, wouldn't you?

Yeah, that and the ginormous muzzle flash.  Tracer is nice, but not really needed.  Just pay attention to where it's hitting compared to the symbology, and practice.

Edited by heloguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

On 5/26/2022 at 11:41 PM, Raptor9 said:

Yes asking for tracer option, an unrealistic option, is certainly vain and not reasonable. But to be fair regarding this wish, it's just to try to compensate the lack of realism of actual non-tracer ammo that is also invisible through Flir. I think it would be a nice option when I play in gunner's seat, much more realistic when using the Flir with gun.

But forgetting this optional wish, I just hope that gun employement will at the end have the realistic visibility of rounds through Flir.

• ED Team
26 minutes ago, toutenglisse said:

But to be fair regarding this wish, it's just to try to compensate the lack of realism of actual non-tracer ammo that is also invisible through Flir. I think it would be a nice option when I play in gunner's seat, much more realistic when using the Flir with gun.

To be clear, I wasn't responding to the thread's OP or stating that the request wasn't reasonable, I was responding to another's claim that tracer ammo exists in real-life (which it does not), which is why I quoted that specific post.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 1

DCS Rotor-Head

3 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

To be clear, I wasn't responding to the thread's OP or stating that the request wasn't reasonable, I was responding to another's claim that tracer ammo exists in real-life (which it does not), which is why I quoted that specific post.

Yes of course, I quoted you because you said with reason that tracers are not a realistic option. Sorry I should have just said that 😉

I just think that ideally, as a compromize, eyesight viewport and TADS TV mode viewport would render non-tracer rounds, while TADS Flir modes viewport would render tracer rounds...

On 5/27/2022 at 5:04 PM, Raptor9 said:

The manufacturer also offers M799 HE Incendiary, but no one uses that either

That's another oddity, seems like some of that in the mix would be useful considering the sort of wars the AH-64 has been used in the past two decades.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:14 AM, Mediocre_Chaos said:

You're seeing the heat of the rounds through FLIR, not tracers. The projectiles are quite warm once fired.

Exactly. Reposting this report on "Temperature Measurement of a Bullet in Flight" here. Would be an awesome and realistic upgrade to the FLIR rendering tech.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7764414/

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

• 8 months later...

As most people here probably know, the bullets fired by the M230 are visible in flight on FLIR/TADS footage, even though theyre not tracers.

I dont know if anything regarding this is already in discussion, so I am sorry if it is, but this is really something that I would like to have in the sim. An easy fix would obviously be adding an second shell type that has tracers (albeit not realistic of course). this was even implemented at some point during the development as can be seen at the end of this video:

If this could become an option that would be awsome.

Thank you

• Like 2