Hellfire Maneuverability

Peaches

Hitting moving ground vehicles coming towards me at an angle with standard LOBL shots has been challenging. I've tried multiple ranges and altitudes. Wondering if I am alone or if this performance reveals a limitation of the missile guidance logic (pure pursuit or collision guidance?). Doesn't seem like the Army would invest in a system that struggles with moving targets, but I am hoping that I am not doing something correctly here. Appreciate any thoughts!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A track file or video would be useful here to understand what you are doing and what happens when you are unsuccessful.  If that isn't an option, maybe answering some questions would help:

Are you in the CPG seat operating the TADS manually, or is this using George?

Are you lasing the entire time the missile is in flight?

What happens when you miss?  Is it a near miss, or is the missile flying past the target like it wasn't even there?

What part of the target are you lasing?

Are you waiting for the large solid box indicating the missile seeker has acquired the laser reflection, or are you overriding launch constraints and firing the missile anyway?

Hellfires are manual, laser tracked at this point, so when you fire, you need to lead the target a bit, then keep the missile on the vehicles nose till about 4 seconds to go on Direct, or 6 seconds on fly down, then center the laser as normal and you will hit 99% of the time.

6D80k38.jpg

Thank you, Floyd and j-tk. I am in the pilot's seat with George CPG handling the engagement, Direct LOBL. I've shot hundreds of missiles in this configuration, so it is not any issue with parameters.

I suspect it deals with the fact that George CPG does not lead moving targets rather lases center of object, causing the missile to impact near but behind the target and not on it. This leads to my questions of what is the guidance logic of the Hellfire and is CPG SOP to lead moving targets until a few seconds to impact? If so, George CPG will be ineffective on (armored) moving targets until his tracking technique matches what a real CPG would need to do to land a shot.