F-14 Acls

mynamehanz

Hello, I am in need of some help with the F-14 Acls, i have the datalink setup correctly, ACL is enabled and the ACL ready light shows as well as VOICE and AP REF, as I get closer to the carrier I get LANDING CHK. However once I am at roughly 3nm, the LANDING CHK light stays on as well as ACL READY and the acls doesn't engage.

Edited by mynamehanz

Also, you have to press the nose wheel steering button to actually engage it. Also depends on which version you are on, I don’t think it works in the stable version currently!

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

In my opinion Heatblur got ACLS working really well now.

Always had trouble with the system during the last few months but the last patch did the trick.

What I noticed is that the ACLS system now also takes control of the inner and outer spoilers which not only works well but also looks great.

Edited by lax22

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

On 5/24/2022 at 4:36 AM, ASW said:

Release the flaps and press the DLC button. Autopilot will not turn on without DLC.

Thank you so much, I was going crazy over that. Did not know that you had to turn on the DLC. This is something that is not mentioned in most Tutorials on Youtube etc...

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2022 at 3:36 AM, ASW said:

Release the flaps and press the DLC button. Autopilot will not turn on without DLC.

Exactly !

Came to that conclusion by mere chance after trial and error today.

As in the last times I did ACLS landings (many months ago - many Open Betas ago), employing the DLC wasn't a mandatory step of the procedures.

Some doubts:

- why is it necessary to engage DLC, in order to get the " AP / CPLR " light on ?

- is this step in any manual ? Heatblur or Chuck's manual ?

Thank you.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

2 hours ago, draconus said:

It's in every landing check list.

That I didn't know... maybe overlooked it sometime, as many of the steps for manual / pilot controled landings I already know from long ago.

But I meant specificaly the ACLS landings - many Open Betas ago the DLC wasn't mandatory, and now it is.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

NATOPS says DLC should be engaged for all approaches (except for single engine, secondary mode). So it is engaged also for ACLS Mode I/II @6nm DME.

More, it is specificaly noted that in the autopilot ACL mode, the ACLS control laws utilize DLC to augment glideslope control. DLC engaged is an interlock requirement for the ACL mode. DLC disengagement during the approach will result in automatic downgrade. You'll have to watch for any actions that can disengage DLC like flaps up, paddle switch or MIL throttle.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

3 hours ago, draconus said:

NATOPS says DLC should be engaged for all approaches (except for single engine, secondary mode). So it is engaged also for ACLS Mode I/II @6nm DME.

More, it is specificaly noted that in the autopilot ACL mode, the ACLS control laws utilize DLC to augment glideslope control. DLC engaged is an interlock requirement for the ACL mode. DLC disengagement during the approach will result in automatic downgrade. You'll have to watch for any actions that can disengage DLC like flaps up, paddle switch or MIL throttle.

Very well.

In my DCS pilot's log I have + 900 Carrier Landings in the F-14A and + 600 in the F-14B.

I'll admit, a great part of those landings with many 'bad habits', procedures wise.

(TOPGUN Fire at Will, and SF2: North Atlantic, were much more simplified than DCS.)

For instance:

- I have the F-14 since 2019, and only very recently I've started to use DLC system for the first time;

(only use it in quick engage / disengage fashion, as my TWCS throttle's pinky wheel isn't very 'healthy')

- never did the correct route - upwind, crosswind, downwind, and base leg... 100 % of the times I go directly to final approach;

- majority of the times, when 3 or 4 seconds before catching the deck wires, I suddenly found myself slightly above the glide slope - causing me to apply airbrake, reduce power and slam the aircraft in the deck... causing the tailhook to rebound up and fail to grab a wire;

... came to read about it and there it was - "Carrier wake turbulence, burble / bounce effect" ; then I understood the DLC's utility and started using it.

(Recently I ended up disabling the "wake turbulence" in the options.)

Even though, the Carrier Landings don't cease to amaze me.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system