New AI - Some Comments

Hi,

The new AI shows a lot of good things. First of all, that the enemy planes from now on actually want to survive and do not pursue their target until the last fuel and then eject with the ejector seat. 

I also like that they use the crank maneuver well and also turn cold when under fire to fly the energy off the missile. 

BUT:

In the last few days I have unfortunately had to watch all enemy aircraft dogging missiles. MiGs and Flankers were able to dodge 3 to 6 missiles without any problems and then achieve aerial victory themselves with an infrared missile. 
No matter if in the deepest night or in the densest clouds. It is simply disgusting!

Now one could argue: But online players in multiplayer mode also show this behavior! Yes, exactly: Online PLAYERS
Such behavior has nothing whatsoever to do with realism, is absolutely unbelievable and turns my DCS into a dogfight simulator because the missiles have obviously become worthless. 

In the end, there were a number of interesting improvements. I hope that ED will continue to develop artificial intelligence and neutralize this arcade behaviour. 

Cheers

TOM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Born to fly but forced to work.

TomFliegerKLEIN.gif

I think it's mostly an issue with the current modeling of the radar.

Notching & radar look-down (and look-up lately) is extremely over tuned.

That said, regarding the AI I think the nose dive is silly and unrealistic. It's emulating the DCS PvP "meta" which has evolved that way because of the aforementioned notching/look-down and doesn't take into account other factors such as fuel conservation, potential S/A threats, and reattack energy (which currently isn't very important to manage again, due to the notching/look-down issues forces WVR)

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Hello,

Okay - after a few days of testing, I have now come to the following final opinion: The new AI's behavior is a bug!

Short explanation: 
The AI dodges the missiles too well.

Explanation: 
The AI shows a behavior under fire that requires a lot of experience and long training. The maneuvers shown here can only be trained and perfected in years. If you set the AI to "inexperienced", it will still fly almost perfect beam maneuvers, go for the notch or pull at the right moment. Not to mention newer designs like the Flanker or comparable machines. Certain missiles, like the Phoenix, have no hit probability at all - even against inexperienced AI pilots in very old aircraft like the MiG-21 or F-5. 

Consequences:
The AI is never tired. It is not affected by poor visibility, weather or stress. Now that it perfectly avoids enemy missiles, success for the user is almost impossible. In the best case he returns to his own base without weapons, without firings but still alive. In the worst case, a user is shot down over and over again. 

What does that lead to?
Experienced users who have known this simulator for decades will be happy to have to master new challenges. But they have had many years to train certain things in order to succeed. If necessary, through high-risk maneuvers and a lot of risk, which hardly corresponds to real world experience.
New users are very quickly overwhelmed, frustrated and could prefer to devote themselves to other simulators and hobbies. 

So- The programmer of the AI made an impressive, a brilliant job in that special part. But he made it too good. 

Thank you very much. 

Cheers

TOM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Born to fly but forced to work.

TomFliegerKLEIN.gif

This software has taught me one thing. Brilliance, pace TOM, is an unbelievably impressive expression in terms of DCS ...  

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

@TOMCATZ, I can’t say that your experience has been mine. They have gotten better at avoiding missiles but they still die about 75% of the time. I’ll admit that it takes a few more missiles to do it, though. And they frequently don’t die until now until well within visual range.

Perhaps it’s actually a missile rather than AI issue. I am usually in a Flanker cockpit and, so, normally use a real missile like the R-27ER instead the toy AMRAAMs most people use. 🙂 In all seriousness, though, I wonder if the new behavior is simply highlighting the deficiencies in modeling certain missiles.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

AI has been weighed, it has been measured, and it has been found wanting. In what world could it possibly convince me?

An ED's Tale 2008-2022

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2022 at 6:02 PM, TOMCATZ said:

Hello,

Okay - after a few days of testing, I have now come to the following final opinion: The new AI's behavior is a bug!

Short explanation: 

I completely agree.

Abnormal behavior occurs frequently, especially in FC3 Fighters.
They are never Hit by mid-range missiles. They don't try to avoid it, but  missiles "Dumb" away off.

I've tested more than 100+ Phoenix shots in last three days and never hit F-15s, J-11s, MIGs and etc.

AIM-54 was perfect and fully guided(30k, 1.0mach, 30~40nm, TTI=6, Target Size=normal or small, MLC=OFF), but it was always missed at terminal Guidance stage.

But, when target was changed to F-16, they were shot down by more than 70 percent.

Edited by Ahogephilia

• ED Team
On 5/27/2022 at 2:02 AM, TOMCATZ said:

Hello,

Short explanation: 

Explanation: 
The AI shows a behavior under fire that requires a lot of experience and long training. The maneuvers shown here can only be trained and perfected in years. If you set the AI to "inexperienced", it will still fly almost perfect beam maneuvers, go for the notch or pull at the right moment. Not to mention newer designs like the Flanker or comparable machines. Certain missiles, like the Phoenix, have no hit probability at all - even against inexperienced AI pilots in very old aircraft like the MiG-21 or F-5. 

Consequences:
The AI is never tired. It is not affected by poor visibility, weather or stress. Now that it perfectly avoids enemy missiles, success for the user is almost impossible. In the best case he returns to his own base without weapons, without firings but still alive. In the worst case, a user is shot down over and over again. 

What does that lead to?
Experienced users who have known this simulator for decades will be happy to have to master new challenges. But they have had many years to train certain things in order to succeed. If necessary, through high-risk maneuvers and a lot of risk, which hardly corresponds to real world experience.
New users are very quickly overwhelmed, frustrated and could prefer to devote themselves to other simulators and hobbies. 

So- The programmer of the AI made an impressive, a brilliant job in that special part. But he made it too good. 

Thank you very much. 

Cheers

TOM

Please supply a track of issues you are reporting, thanks. 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png