I Can`t decide on what to buy. The F-18 with Super carrier or the AH-64? I have the A10-C II and maybe something different from a tank killer will be best?

Nanliza

• ED Team

The AH-64D is not in the free trial yet, the team want to finish off some features before the free trial starts so trial users have the best possible experience. Hopefully it will be soon. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Nanliza said:

I have the A10-C II and maybe something different from a tank killer will be best?

Here's the thing: The AH-64 is going to get you right back to tank plinking pretty much, but it'll be a completely different experience than from the A-10. You can transfer a lot of tank knowledge to there, though.

The F-18 on the other hand, you get to keep up a lot of your fixed wing flying experience from the A-10, but open up more into the world of fast moving. If that is the path you want to try, I'd personally advise to first get the jet, try out how you like it, and then decide if you also need fancy decorations for your carrier or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nanliza said:

I Can`t decide on what to buy. The F-18 with Super carrier or the AH-64?

TL;DR:

The 2 modules are not directly comparable, your decision depends on whether you wish to

• expand your skills to radar, A2A BVR game planning, carrier landings, etc.
or
• learn a new skill - fly a combat helicopter

Detail:

• The FA-18C is an excellent multi-role trainer (has the 2nd highest flight hours of my modules) i.e. learning BVR game planning, etc. but it can feel a little anaemic/sterile to some, I have issues with some of it's BVR --> ACM workflow and find ED's AGM-84 Harpoon particularly underwhelming. Despite it's faults, I consider it an essential purchase for "most" DCS players.
+ It expands on your A-10C's battlespace/speed and poses a real A2A threat to enemy aircraft
- but doesn't have access to anti-armor cluster bombs like the CBU-97/CBU-105 that the A-10C/F-16C carry.

• The Super Carrier is essentially an "Asset Pack" for the Hornet, it's rather weak in content and has lower dev resources than flagship products like the FA-18C, F-16C, AH-64D, etc. Worth picking up in a sale to get a better carrier experience (animated deck crew, additional ATC voices, etc.). It's worth will depend on how much you use the ME and/or which MP servers you play on.

• AH-64D - new kid on block, early access but more complete than most of ED's recent EA releases, it has a wealth of smaller system details modelled and a solid multi-crew experience..
+ Learning to fly a helicopter is skill in it's self
+/- Not directly comparable to the A-10C (as it's a helicopter) but has a smaller selection of weapons (rockets, cannon and hellfire) and smaller battlespace.
+ IMHO TADS/PNVS and MFD's make the AH-64D a better "fit" to DCS, than the Mi-24P though the later is more "old school", so may be preferred by some.
+/- Takes your previous A-10C combat and takes it up close and personal but is working near the limit of DCS to model infantry support "realistically".
+/- Makes the A-10C seem fast in comparison
- Higher system requirements / lower fps
- Mission designs may be more limited/repetitive

I'm pleased to recommend either module as I find both excellent but YMMV.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I had the same quesiton few weeks ago and I decided to buy both AH-64 and the F-18+Supercarrier during sales.

I've been playing the AH-64 exclusively since then. It's a different experience compared to fixed wing, I'm really enjoying. 

I'll start the F-18 as soon I feel confortable enough flying the Apache.

You can start with the AH-64 right now, since the price won't change during sales, then wait for sales and buy the F-18+Supercarrier with some good discount.

Apache is another tank killer, so you might end up doing a similar job you have been doing on the A-10 though.

Edited by vilson.farias
  • Thanks 1

I'll add to the advice provided by the above posters:

1) if you would like to fly a jet from an aircraft carrier, then I'd suggest the Hornet and Super carrier over the AH-64

2) if you would like to fly a helicopter, then I believe the AH-64 provides more of a helicopter experience than the Hornet and Super carrier

Let me know if this helps, I will be willing to address follow up questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Are you more interesting in helicopters or jet fighters? They're both great in my opinion, even in its early access state, the Apache is a buy! There's more content for the Hornet. I would ask your self what you are more interested in learning and get that one.

• Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

You'll have both eventually :).

Flip a quarter (or whatever your local common largish coin may be...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

On 5/24/2022 at 8:17 AM, Nanliza said:

I Can`t decide on what to buy. The F-18 with Super carrier or the AH-64?  I have the A10-C II and maybe something different from a tank killer will be best?

Easy! Get them all! 

• Like 1

AH-64D.

Its situational awareness between the AI George and you as the pilot is incredible (not fully modelled yet).

Externally the apaches defensive sensory systems give it such a situational awareness of the battlefield surrounding, it it is simply an amazing experience slowly and lowly manoeuvring into a firing position.

A lot of frustrating work mind!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

As a big Hornet/Super Carrier lover, I say go for that. I am enjoying learning the Apache and have so been looking forward to this since the days of both Longbow 1 and II. Absolutely loving the Apache and plan on many hours of enjoyment out of it.

But Hornet/Super Carrier hands down. Nothing like flying carrier ops off the Super Carrier in some great campaigns. 

You probably have seen this already but I will just put this here - sums it up beautifully:

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You should try the way the friends in the show "Friends" used to decide which one was more attractive:

Choose between the two, without hesitating to give an answer. Don't think about it, just choose immediately. 🙂

- Black or white?

- White meat or red meat?

- Wine or beer?

- Car or motorcycles?

- Hornet or Apache?

"Ooh, never knew that!" 😉

I think all are must haves, and they are my top DCS modules (my preference being modern hi-tech, complex, button pushing, not to mention carrier ops).  However, if I had to choose I would go F-18 mainly because it's in a much more completed and developed state.

Another thing to consider is:  do you have (decent) rudder pedals?  IMHO, I wouldn't even want to try to fly the apache (or any other helo) without them.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

On 5/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, Hippo said:

Another thing to consider is:  do you have (decent) rudder pedals?  IMHO, I wouldn't even want to try to fly the apache (or any other helo) without them.

This is a good point. You can fly a jet with any joystick and have a decent 1:1 experience; you can choose from a wealth of Virpil or VKB products. The world is your oyster. With helicopter modules you need to compromise. You'll have to use software work-arounds to simulate how helicopter trim works or use a FFB stick (your options being the ancient MS FFB2 or a very expensive Brunner/Virpil combo) and as Hippo said, you need pedals as you'll struggle trying to use a twist grip.

I'm using a MS FFB2 as I feel FFB is essential for the helicopter modules I own. The limitation (not enough hats and buttons) hasn't stopped me really enjoying the Apache though. For now, I've stopped flying everything else. I own the Super Carrier and F-14 and they're the only other modules I have installed. I will say, carriers feel very lifeless and bare without the deck crew which are more than just decorations. Following the hand signals is actually very useful and the way it's "meant to be".

• Like 2

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

My thoughts are that the Apache really needs a human CPG. If you don’t have someone to actually fly with the Apache (to me) is quite a frustrating experience. They did a good job with George, but In VR I find him very annoying to utilize and You can’t use him to fly in MP so you’re stuck using him as your CPG and doing pretty much all of the fun stuff. The f18 is a more complete experience and opens the door to BVR and dogfighting, maintains ability for ground pounding, carrier ops, and is not reliant on having a human partner to have all of the fun. 

i think it all comes down to whether you are flying alone or with a consistent dcs friend.

• Like 1

Like all aircraft with 2 slots, you have to play it with a humain, otherwise you will not get the true experience, what a mess.
A multirole aircraft like F16 F18 is always a good investisment.

KA50 is better if you will play solo and alone. Apache is magic if you play it with a team and someone

Man, either one is a great investment.  Don't forget the F-16 either.  

With the Super Carrier + F-18, I learned how to fly. I carried that pattern work, refueling, navigation, etc. skills over to the F-16.

With the F-16, I learned aircraft systems with its colorful displays.  I learned how to fight with it.  

With the Apache, I learned fine motor skills and thinking in 4 dimensions.

492nd Squadron CO (F-15E): JTF-111 -  Discord Link

I have been flying the F/A 18 since inception.  I still have not mastered everything in it. I would say I am a jack of all trades but master of none in it.  I love flying on and off the carrier, but it has so many weapons and systems to know how to fire them it's not for the faint of heart.  Also, the Air-to-Air radar is a beast to learn.  I still have trouble with it. The Apache however - although I can't say i have mastered it, I have only had it since inception and I feel like i know it like the back of my hand, much simpler to learn weapons systems but not fly.  I only play SP but i do know how to do the CPG as well, but don't use it.  I say get the Apache and then branch out to other aircraft.