NVG in VR - half screen only, not the whole

YoYo

Pls think about it. Now NVG uses the whole screen in VR what it isnt true in the real life.

The pilot has space to see gauges and buttons (if he looks down by eye). Maybe you can do half a screen only or 2/3 for NVG but the rest - for normal view.

Here is the bigger topic about it, thank you!

08DCBdi.jpg

So we need smaller NVG picture (smaller FOV for goggles in VR goggles 😅).

Screenshot as example from 2D, not VR:

Screen_170622_170711.jpg

VR view:

pwyxbFs.jpg

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

in real life we have a much bigger fov with our eyeballs,  in dcs with vr its equivalent to the real world nvg fov with our headsets, depending on headset and what real world nvg you use.  I do agree if they push forward the nvg view in dcs kind of like the ihads in the apache would be nice and allow us vr users to see under the tubes for cockpit readability.  Model the nvg forward of eyes and don't decrease the fov, as its small enough in vr

Edited by rcjonessnp175

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

2 hours ago, rcjonessnp175 said:

in real life we have a much bigger fov with our eyeballs,  in dcs with vr its equivalent to the real world nvg fov with our headsets, depending on headset and what real world nvg you use.  I do agree if they push forward the nvg view in dcs kind of like the ihads in the apache would be nice and allow us vr users to see under the tubes for cockpit readability.  Model the nvg forward of eyes and don't decrease the fov, as its small enough in vr

Right, but its possible to do a little smaller FOV of NVG goggles, it could be a kind of compromise.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

15 minutes ago, lefuneste01 said:

I do not see the problem, here is what I have in VR:

Is it stock DCS or with mod? I see you have Reverb too so Im sure you did picture with some mod. ☝️

I wrote about default DCS and NVG. Mods are different thing.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Real NVGs have adjustments for up, down, left and right each tube, and fore/aft from your face.  Might be a bridge too far, but would help people who have different VR headsets to get the NVGs where they are usable.

Not being able to see the cockpit under the goggles makes NVG flying pretty terrible in DCS.  The AH-64 makes up for this with the NVS mode of flight, which is primary for this aircraft, but if you wanted to use NVGs, and absolutely with other aircraft, you need to be able to see the cockpit instruments underneath.

Edited by heloguy
  • Like 1

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

9 hours ago, YoYo said:

Is it stock DCS or with mod? I see you have Reverb too so Im sure you did picture with some mod. ☝️

I wrote about default DCS and NVG. Mods are different thing.

Of course it's with my mod.😀

I totally agree that default VR rendering is not coherent with 2D and not as it should be.

Edited by lefuneste01
  • Like 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

7 minutes ago, lefuneste01 said:

Of course it's with my mod.😀

I totally agree that default VR rendering is not coherent with 2D and not as it should be.

I was thinking thats this yours :). Unfortunately, I have been using Reshade VR for over a year (Im very happy with it, the version for Steam VR) and as I remember those two software arent compatible? Am I right?

But what is important - your mod perfectly shows that it is possible !!! 👍

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

53 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Unfortunately, I have been using Reshade VR for over a year (Im very happy with it, the version for Steam VR) and as I remember those two software arent compatible? Am I right ?

I just checked, last version of reshade is working with my mod (or vice versa !).

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

9 minutes ago, lefuneste01 said:

I just checked, last version of reshade is working with my mod (or vice versa !).

Thank You for info, good to know, I'll check it gladly! 👋

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

8 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

Just tried your mod.  This is how default NVGs in DCS should be.  Also, it would be nice to be able to switch the color of the phosphorus depending on which type and era you'd like to simulate.  Older US Military NVGs were all typically green, but white is becoming more proliferated.  The Ka-50's NVGs are white, so it's definitely possible.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

57 minutes ago, heloguy said:

Just tried your mod.  This is how default NVGs in DCS should be.  Also, it would be nice to be able to switch the color of the phosphorus depending on which type and era you'd like to simulate.  Older US Military NVGs were all typically green, but white is becoming more proliferated.  The Ka-50's NVGs are white, so it's definitely possible.

I may be able to add an option, I'll have a look. Do you have some example showing how it should render  ?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, lefuneste01 said:

I may be able to add an option, I'll have a look. Do you have some example showing how it should render  ?

That would be awesome!  The below images are from a couple you tube videos of the Ka-50 in game.  One looks like it's using a mod similar to yours to make the NVGs a normal round shape, which would be accurate.  The other looks like the default ED NVGs.  Either way, basically your mod's green NVGs, just white color instead as seen in these two pics.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault-2.jpg

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index