Can't launch AIM120's from F-16

Phadreus

Hi all,

Been learning to fly the F-16 for about a month and am making decent progress. I'm just starting to learn how to use A2A Weapons. Been through tons of YouTube tutorial vids and have been able to utilize AIM9's with no problem.  Now I'm tackling AIM120's and cannot seem to launch them. I am able to select them, designate a target on RADAR and will even hear the audible "Lock". When I select Weapon Release, nothing happens. I assume it should use the same Weapon release button as I use for the AIM9's...and I simply left the Control as default.

What am I missing?

Thx in advance for any helpful thoughts!

Figured it out.  I have to keep the Wpn Rel Btn depressed for about 2.5 seconds before the AIM120 will launch.  Not sure why the AIM9 is instantaneous. But now that I know...I can work with it.

Thought somebody else might find this useful?

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

hello, question for you on this topic. im in the save boat, trying to learn the Aim 120. i am able to select the weapon, but i cannot designate the target. i am only using the logitech extreme pro stick. 

Any time you see a circle around a radar track symbol on FCR display, that means it's target of interest (TOI) or "bugged" in the parlance. When you have a TOI that's your AIM-120 target.

There are conditions where launch is and is not allowed but if you are inside parameters, have a TOI, and hold the WR button the launch should occur.