What is going on with this CPU?

Hi folks,

I want to ask if someone has an idea how to solve a strange issue. One of my friends recently built a new PC (5900X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080Ti, Alphacool liquid cooling) but has a strange temp issue with his CPU. The CPU is hotter in idle, than during gaming (Star Citizen). When entering UEFI, the CPU is at roughly 50°C. After loading Windows 11 and runnning in idle, CoreTemp and MSI Afterburner both show the CPU beeing at 65°C (wich i think is pretty hot, even for a 5900X) and while playing Star Citizen at max settings, temps go down to 53°C. My first thought was, that there is some background process putting load on the CPU and shutting down once a game/program is launched, but there is nothing running in the background that would cause these high idle temps (checked with Task Manager and Process Lasso). The liquid cooling is perfectly running, but the radiator is very cool and only gets warm, as soon as the fans are not running (plugged them out to test this). So by my understanding, the liquid cooling seems to be ok. And even if not, that would not explain why the temps are higher in idle than under load. Temps in Cinebench are ok - ish for a 5900X IMO. None of our friends has ever seen this before and just in case we missed something, i would like to ask if someone has an idea whatelse he could try to ID the cause for that. Or is this just a bad CPU due to the sillicon lottery?

cheers

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

It might be the Liquid cooling - if the pump and the fans are connected to the Mainboard and the Mainboard does all the temp- and load-Management.

Your friend should monitor the revs of the fans and especialliy the revs of the LC Pump. If the the Mainboard also revs down the pump on idle, then this could explain why the CPU gets warmer (it is definately not hot) on idle.

This is a wild guess, I know. But the first thing your friend should do is monitor the behaviour of his system. Then you might have a chance to find out what is going on.

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

Sometimes it's a firmware thing. Does he run a recent Bios and matching Chipset driver ?  I would check that is the case.

50° on Desktop, maybe a bit too high for idle, mine is below 40° usually, right now 37°C while typing on a mildly warm day, my GPU idles at 26°C ( same loop ). Playing games is anywhere 50-60°C.

The hottest it gets is brutal AVX priming which puts it into high 80's ( PBO2 + a few settings tuned )

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Just thought I would chime in on this issue. 

I recently had exactly the same problem. It was a problem with Realtek drivers on my motherboard audio. Running a heavy script/thread in the background. A complete audio un-install and then re-install with latest drivers fixed it. This was in Windows 11 using a 5900x. 

It could also be a sign that a blockage in the AIO is starting. Probably a build up slowing or reducing the efficiency of the pump.

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the hints. UEFI and chipset drivers are the latest version and he tried a clean reinstallation of the Realtek drivers. The PC is completely new, so we doubt it to be the liquid cooling getting bad, as it is new as well (doesent neccessarily mean anything, but you know...)

I just had a discord call with my friend and he told me that the issue is not realy solved (well, partly), but at least tagged. Problem was, that the CPU sent most cores into 0,2V Deep Sleep and managed all the background processes with a single core, putting a lot of load on that single core even while these processes are not that much of a deal normaly. Due to that, temperatures went up for just 0,1s (but by physics logic, cant go down in the same time) and MSI Afterburner seems to display only the highest, last measured temperature with Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen Master showed a very different picture in terms of temps). Temps in UEFI came from the fact, that no drivers etc. have been loaded so far, the CPU cannot send cores to sleep in UEFI and the load is distributed to all cores. Once in Windows, the cores are sent to sleep in idle and all the load is managed by the last active core and temps went up. DropBox seemed to be the culprit in this case, as deactivating it in the background lowered the temps in Windows idle by roughly 10°C. IMO still strange, but i´m to much of an amateur to judge that. Tried to explain it as good as possible with my poor english... Again, thanks a lot for your time!

Cheers

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2