Top Gun skins

Ikaros

8 minutes ago, Blinde said:

Did any updates made in to the latest patch?

Unfortunately no, next patch. (which should be sooner as usual.)

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 2 weeks later...

There was an upload mixup, hopefully we get a hotfix soon-ish. Ultimately there should end up just being the one version of '114'.

GKh4MJN.png

ucbLrhy.png

As to Iceman, I'd really like to get back to some historical stuff but I'm trying to work something to at least get a version of Iceman's jet. I went with the TOPGUN school portion for Maverick so I'd like for his to be the same period as well, but it's not as high of a priority versus getting VF-11 counterparts from 1991 and getting some more gaps filled in as we wait for the early model and some general external updates.

• Thanks 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

4 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

There was an upload mixup, hopefully we get a hotfix soon-ish. Ultimately there should end up just being the one version of '114'.

GKh4MJN.png

ucbLrhy.png

As to Iceman, I'd really like to get back to some historical stuff but I'm trying to work something to at least get a version of Iceman's jet. I went with the TOPGUN school portion for Maverick so I'd like for his to be the same period as well, but it's not as high of a priority versus getting VF-11 counterparts from 1991 and getting some more gaps filled in as we wait for the early model and some general external updates.

I did notice two Top Gun skins, one with dark and one with light paneling on the top of the wing gloves (like what we see in the movie). So only the latter will remain? Any other expected changes? 

Edited by captain_dalan

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

6 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

I did notice two Top Gun skins, one with dark and one with light paneling on the top of the wing gloves (like what we see in the movie). So only the latter will remain? Any other expected changes? 

Yes, neither of those were the 'right' one. I had one patterned off the main film jet for most of the flight scenes however that one did not get picked up.

The new one will have a different 'name' so you will need to update any missions made with the Top Gun 114 skin. Apologies for the inconvenience, but the original ones here with the naming convention weren't made with the intent for release. 

fnH5ey3.png

MwspWNR.png

NNhuoKg.png

MDcZDMJ.png

• Thanks 2

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

31 minutes ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Yes, neither of those were the 'right' one. I had one patterned off the main film jet for most of the flight scenes however that one did not get picked up.

The new one will have a different 'name' so you will need to update any missions made with the Top Gun 114 skin. Apologies for the inconvenience, but the original ones here with the naming convention weren't made with the intent for release. 

fnH5ey3.png

MwspWNR.png

NNhuoKg.png

MDcZDMJ.png

That's awesome news! Can't wait to see this latest fruit of  your labor in-game, kudos! 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

1 hour ago, captain_dalan said:

That's awesome news! Can't wait to see this latest fruit of  your labor in-game, kudos! 

I originally went with some close-ish patterning on the corrosion control, but some good references were provided so I did my best to get that a lot more close to the jet they used in those scenes. One thing  I didn't do was making the funky nose MODEX numbers that looked like they were done with crayons, but I did my best to ensure the size and positioning matched the few photos that showed them. On Iceman's main jet they covered the 6 from the MODEX and added a 4, but they didn't rake the 4 like the other numbers. I may try to at least replicate that with some of the coverup paint behind it.

Unofficially, I may revisit them and do a "final battle" set of them, add Hollywood and everyone with their different flight suits with TOPGUN patches, Cougar/Merlin and an alternate Maverick jet for the intro bit. But those would probably be on userfiles or some alternate download since space is already growing.

I might sneak the camera jet in just for fun, it had its own unique weathering and corrosion control patterns, and it had a big VF-213 patch on the tail at some points. I believe you can see it in quite a few sequences. Sometimes it also had the fake VFA-213/25 marking, and then it also wore the fake VF-1/110 logo as well.

And before it becomes a thing, the tail logos are an absolute pain to position, scale, and get right when crossing over the rudder panel. I've done my best to get the VF-1 logo as close as I can to 160665 from the available photos but it may not be *perfect*. If that's still an issue, I invite them to grab the template and do a perfect tail themselves, just make sure to rework the leading edge reinforcements and match the colors that were used.

• Like 1

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

5 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

And before it becomes a thing, the tail logos are an absolute pain to position, scale, and get right when crossing over the rudder panel. I've done my best to get the VF-1 logo as close as I can to 160665 from the available photos but it may not be *perfect*. If that's still an issue, I invite them to grab the template and do a perfect tail themselves, just make sure to rework the leading edge reinforcements and match the colors that were used.

I never payed too much attention to those, but after it was mentioned, i re-watched some of the scenes in the movie, and for the life of me i can't tell for sure if the logo is in the same position at all times. It seems like it moves around from scene to scene, especially on how it transfers to the rudder 🤔

Edited by captain_dalan

Even better, on some jets the logo always faced forwards, others it was one forwards one backwards.

Want to have your mind blown a little more? The clip where Iceman shuts down the right engine is a clip of the gun firing. That's gunsmoke and the nose of the jet.

• Like 1

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

22 minutes ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Even better, on some jets the logo always faced forwards, others it was one forwards one backwards.

Want to have your mind blown a little more? The clip where Iceman shuts down the right engine is a clip of the gun firing. That's gunsmoke and the nose of the jet.

That should make things "easier" 😄

• 4 months later...