Made the plunge, pulled the trigger, got the module. Hope its worth $65 paid for it.

DmitriKozlowsky

It’s ea. There’s some things on the flight model / scas that are being worked on. 

pfftt the thing is worth more than $65 but I’m kind of a fanboy. I hope you enjoy it. Make sure you get the opportunity to try multicrew

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

ugh.  I spent the money with enthusiasm...and can't play the module.  It's impossible without pedals, and my entire office setup would need to be redone to accommodate them.  

At least I'm the proud owner of a shiny new apache that I can look at!

• ED Team
35 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

First priority is fidelity of flight model. Without realistic flight model, nothing else matters much.

Please remember this is early access, we are working with real AH-64D pilots and are tweaking the flight model where needed. 
On the list for the future:
Roll tendency at higher speeds
Autorotation tweaks
Crabbing tweaks

If you have evidence something is wrong please feel free to PM me with the information and a tack replay showing any problem.

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

16 minutes ago, dmatsch said:

ugh.  I spent the money with enthusiasm...and can't play the module.  It's impossible without pedals, and my entire office setup would need to be redone to accommodate them.  

keep at it. i fly with a T16000M with twist grip. no issues with the anti-torque functions after some practice. 

Twithi bitchi. Ain't she. Pedal work is weird. I feel I am chasing and SAS is trying to correct me. Here I was thinking that UH-60L and AH-64 share same powerplant, rotor, and tailrotor, thus handle about the same. Ain't so, just going by DCS.  But I have not dyn rolled it, nor have VRS'ed it. Nor have experienced LTE yet. But with empty helicopter with 60% fuel, I do get LOW ROTOR RPM warning with throttle set to max FLY. May be rotor overpitch. Don't know.

1 hour ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Here I was thinking that UH-60L and AH-64 share same powerplant, rotor, and tailrotor, thus handle about the same. Ain't so, just going by DCS. 

I assume you're comparing the community UH-60 mod with ED's Apache?

Nothing bad about the UH-60 team, they've done a great job, but did they also use SME's while creating their mod? I kinda trust ED knows what they're doing on the Apache's FM

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

3 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

What is an SME?

Sorry mate, you were throwing abbreviations in your post, so I thought it didn't need explanation 😉 

SME = subject-matter expert  (in this case usually ex-Apache pilots 🙂)

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

22 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

ODD Problem.   Auto Start assist hangs , gets, stuck on APU start, won't proceed past that point. Left alone for 10+ minutes, but all its doing is just sitting there with APU ON, and no rotor turn.

If you find a bug, you can best report it in the bug section, accompanied by a track file.

For now, the advise I can give you:

Perform manual start up, because:

1. It's really simple and fast
  2. You'll make more use of what you paid for 😉

System specs:

vor 3 Stunden schrieb DmitriKozlowsky:

But with empty helicopter with 60% fuel, I do get LOW ROTOR RPM warning with throttle set to max FLY. May be rotor overpitch. Don't know.

Sounds like "settling with power" or too much collective in a low torque moment.

Maybe this can help:

vor 19 Minuten schrieb DmitriKozlowsky:

I learn by first observing autostarts.

Then i would encourage you to do the Cold Start Training Lesson within DCS as a start 🙂

K

• Like 1

I'd pay much more than $65 for the Apache even in it's current state, which all things said, is in great shape.  Especially for very early access.  I've not found anything that would make me say "this isn't ready for me to fly yet".  It's just rough edges, which can be expected for very early access.  I'm personally weary of giving any game studio money for early access, but it's important to remember what we're paying for.  A helo in an FPS game may have (let's just say) 300 function points which require code.  The FPS helo is basically a reskinned player object which is flying and has different weapons.  The early access DCS Apache on the other hand might have 250,000 function points which require code.  When it's complete it might have 300,000 function points.  These are arbitrary numbers of course, meant only to provide contrast.  My point is that for an aviation enthusiast like myself, a meticulously and lovingly modelled aircraft, complete with functional subsystems which aren't even visible like hydraulic lines, holds more value to me than to someone who isn't an aviation enthusiast.  If I were just "a gamer" I would probably wait until Apache launch to make the purchase... but I'm that guy who goes to visit his son on the Army base, but ends up spending all his time watching the Apaches play.  In other words; the value of this module is subjective, and it's purchase is completely optional.  In practical terms, early access to this module is, from my perspective, a generous move by ED which also allows me to contribute feedback and bug reports.  That payment of $65 was my confidence that ED is going to provide a great final product, and that I'm interested in helping them do it.

I'm just glad they didn't charge what it's worth to me... it would have gutted my bank account.

• Like 7

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

• ED Team
7 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Here I was thinking that UH-60L and AH-64 share same powerplant, rotor, and tailrotor

They share the same engine, and that is where their commonality ends. They also both use tail-end stabiliators, but even those differ between the two.

• Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

12 hours ago, dmatsch said:

Not to be cynical here, but really did you not realize the utter need for rudder pedals with the Apache? Hopefully someday you will be able to add them to your hardware and start to enjoy learning this baby...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

6 hours ago, StrongHarm said:

early access to this module is, from my perspective, a generous move by ED which also allows me to contribute feedback and bug reports

I think, if Early Access modules Super Carrier, F/A-18C and AH-64D are typical then DCS Early Access modules are significantly better than many other game manufacturers final product.

• Like 3

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

6 hours ago, Dallas88B said:

I think, if Early Access modules Super Carrier, F/A-18C and AH-64D are typical then DCS Early Access modules are significantly better than many other game manufacturers final product.

Significantly.  Yes sir.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

20 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

First priority is fidelity of flight model. Without realistic flight model, nothing else matters much.

No, DCS is a combat sim, not MSFS, so the same important are weapons and systems. Second, the FM now in Early Access is really nice and nice done (it doesnt need much, marginal matters, honestly there is nothing that makes this module useless), few things (mentioned by BigNewy are on the desk still) but its an small part, for polished FM for the final stage. ED did great job with AH-65 FM what whe have now, for „normal” flying and fighting (I dont need autorotation at this stage for example and can wait, I dont use it too mutch during my normal operations 😝).

btw. comparison of ED’s AH-64 to mod of (pretty cool) UH-60L makes my day! Lol 😅! This mod isnt any benchmark yet, flies too stable like on trials, it needs also a big FM improvement still, even authors wrote about it, its not a secret. Sorry, about copters in DCS - I noticed that people who don't know the module well, they don't know how to fly and has a weak rudder, they complain the most because they are experiencing frustration (it was the same with Mi-24, Mi-8, etc). Typical helicopters are more demanding on DCS users than fixed wings aircrafts. I know many people (who normal flying on DCS aircrafts without any problem) who dont touch any copter due difficult entry barrier, but it doesnt mean that the module has a problem, problem is on their side. This time I cant agree. Remember also - practice makes perfect + good rudder. This is a secret ;>.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

4 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

I have DCS: Gazelle, KA-50, UH-1H, UH-60L, and now AH-64D. I got pretty good at flying those, I'll get good with Apache. I only had MI-24 for trial, and its OK, I'll conquer it later. I don't like MI-8 module. Just not for me I guess.

For me Mi-8 is the most demending (in flying) module, Gazelle is an joke (but at beginning FM was quite good, now the Team of Gazelle M.I.A (unfortunately).

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro