Targeting with EXP3

oldcrusty

What's the optimal distance/angle to minimize errors for our version of APG73? It seems like the cross is always off. I know the target elevation should not be an issue with radar ranging but it almost seemed like my JDAMs were pointing at the proper coordinates shifted down to sea level (?)

As far as radar resolution goes, I could only distinguish target shapes (TU160) from around 4nm, that's only at proper offset and bank angle toward the target (?). Also, 'FRZ' function is still effected by radar updates in the background.   I hope this is not the final version of this ground radar.

In this clip the first target is co-located with WPDSG designation, still the cross on EXP3 page is a little off. The second target was designated using slew function on EXP3.  The first hit was dead on, the second short, target partially damaged.

The expanded radar isn't fully stabilized. Early versions wasn't in translation or rotation. You were always slewing blind using old visual reference. They fixed translation but not rotation so it's still difficult.

If there is an accuracy issue first thing is to deconstruct the chain of events.

4 hours ago, amalahama said:

I would recommend to post the evidence in the bugs section to have proper trackability. 

Frederf might have some evidence and knowledge related to ground radar,  I don't... just basic anecdotal stuff.

That's why this is all hazy in my head.  I always thought that once the expanded mode was 'locked' around the designation point and was scanning and re-scanning, refining the image as the jet was getting closer. The quality of course depending on distance and offset angle. As far as slewing is concerned yea, I wouldn't try to refine the designation from too far, whatever that distance may be. I also thought that the 'freeze' function was simply a snapshot of the area, rotating to show proper orientation with respect to ownship. Any violent maneuvering shouldn't 'throw it off' as it does currently. And of course, radar is not working 'solo' during this entire process. 

Perhaps someone can shed some more light on this sooner or later...

Well, there are number of issues with this version of Hornet's A/G radar but there is definitely one fix that could mitigate most of them and make the expanded modes useful. Zoom/resolution of EXP3 and possibly EXP2 (a little). With zoom level doubled in EXP3, I wouldn't care about rotation (as long as it rotates around the designated point) or other error inducing quirks. (when banking, etc.) Designating and refining would be fairly easy.  

...just a thought. 

Just a quick question: If I understand the information in this thread correctly, there are stabilization issues with the expand modes, which have repercussions on targeting. Therefore, I wondered if it is good practice to use the autopilot in heading and altitude hold mode, when trying to use the radar for targeting? 

• Like 1

Short answer:

It is always been off since it is bugged...
There have been many attempts to report this but the threads are either in "investigating" or "correct-as-is". Quickly summed, the aircraft's own angular movement is not taken in to account + some other issues that can be found in the bug report topic. Issues are also present with designation and scan rate.

The resulting experience is that you can have designations 100 feet off target depeding on your luck with the designation bugs.

And no, this isn't some "modelled inaccuracy" (I wish it was honestly), just faulty code.

Edited by Rissala
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Also EXP 3 is DBSSAR so the resolution should not change with range. The high quality image you get at 4nm you should get at 40nm.

Resolution not changing does not imply the same return intensity. If the return is very dim at 10 nm, you won't see it at all at 40 nm.

SAR is not magic.

• Like 2