Radar Elevation axis functionality

Currently the F/A-18C binding options for the radar elevation is setup like the real jet, where the position of the axis controls the slew-rate of the antenna elevation, I applaud ED's choice to do this as it works great for people that have HOTAS setups specifically tailored to the hornet.

However, I very much would appreciate it if ED could add a second axis bind to treat the antenna elevation axis as an absolute position, like the viper and other modules. For people who do not have antenna elevation axes with a sprung center, the current iteration is very difficult to use; this would remedy the issue.

Furthermore, I think the current iteration potentially creates a fair amount of issues where newer players (without the sprung-center radar control) do not notice their radar slewing up into the heavens or full down and end up wondering why their radar cannot find any targets.

Cheers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zergburger said:

Currently the F/A-18C binding options for the radar elevation is setup like the real jet, where the position of the axis controls the slew-rate of the antenna elevation, I applaud ED's choice to do this as it works great for people that have HOTAS setups specifically tailored to the hornet.

However, I very much would appreciate it if ED could add a second axis bind to treat the antenna elevation axis as an absolute position, like the viper and other modules. For people who do not have antenna elevation axes with a sprung center, the current iteration is very difficult to use; this would remedy the issue.

Furthermore, I think the current iteration potentially creates a fair amount of issues where newer players (without the sprung-center radar control) do not notice their radar slewing up into the heavens or full down and end up wondering why their radar cannot find any targets.

Cheers.

HI.

Yes, you are right. I did map the radar elevtion to a pair of buttons, for up and down, and it goes fast and precise enough, but an axle would be  great. 

Saludos.

Saca111

1 hour ago, Zergburger said:

we can't be the only two people that want this XD

No, you are not.

I recently changed from a Warthog to Viper throttle and i would love it, if Apache pilots got functions that never existed on real aircraft like reset trim i dont se a problem on a new bind...

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

The Virpil CM2 Throttle has a radar axis but it isn't spring centered, so it would be wonderful for anyone who uses this throttle (like myself) to have an absolute position. Currently I just use up/down on a hat.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:52 AM, Zergburger said:

we can't be the only two people that want this XD

You're not.  This is one of those missing "little things" (like being unable to set AB position on the throttle axis) that make me wonder if there is a mischievous prankster at ED who enjoys winding us all up.  Infuriating.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

It might have something to do with some centering functions in the real jet that has not been implemented properly yet. For instance you are able to control the elevation from the AZ/EL page. That would create some problems for an absolute axis where the scan area would either have to jump back to position of the hardware or get added as bias when you exit the AZ/EL. The latter would mean that you would not be able to center you scan area anymore. I have the elevation bound to buttons, I've gotten used to it and don't think much about it anymore. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

8 hours ago, Svend_Dellepude said:

That would create some problems for an absolute axis where the scan area would either have to jump back to position of the hardware or get added as bias when you exit the AZ/EL.

Yah, that could be confusing for some people. I think making it jump to the axis value would be reasonable compromise. 

For now I just have my axis set to a very low saturation with a wide dead zone, which makes it work mostly like a pair or variable speed buttons.

• 3 months later...