Effect of hardware virtualization on cpu usage

With msfs 2020, turning off hardware virtualization in bios improves performance.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/solved-disable-hardware-virtualization-limited-by-mainthread-but-not-a-single-core-is-close-to-100/370308/9

however, I don’t see much improvement in dcs. 

windows 10 pro

z490

32 g ram ddr4 3600

does anyone else see this? Perhaps I need to ‘optimize stuff’

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

This is a "red herring", and it has nothing to do with the DCS engine.  Your GPU is designed to run at 100%, but with the CPU, after 50% performance starts to degrade.  After 85% you are hitting max CPU utilization.  The idea that if my CPU was only running at 100% I would have better FPS is just wrong.  There are lots of threads here on how to tune DCS settings.  Perhaps you should be more specific about what you are trying to achieve.  Happy to help out.

Don’t really know where to begin. Running Msi afterburner I can see cpu and gpu utilization- neither goes to 100% even when I am seeing 30 fps in multiplayer servers. Running an overclocked 3090

Edited by skypickle

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

2 hours ago, Glide said:

This is a "red herring", and it has nothing to do with the DCS engine.  Your GPU is designed to run at 100%, but with the CPU, after 50% performance starts to degrade.  After 85% you are hitting max CPU utilization. 

DCS does not get anywhere near 50% CPU utilization unless you're using a dual core CPU. Core utilization is what matters, since all of DCS except the sound system runs on a single core. When people report low CPU utilization, it's typically one core pegged at max and the others idling, because that one core is where DCS is cramming everything. ED is working on a major overhaul that will enable it to use multiple cores, but it's still some time away.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, skypickle said:

Don’t really know where to begin. Running Msi afterburner I can see cpu and gpu utilization- neither goes to 100% even when I am seeing 30 fps in multiplayer servers. Running an overclocked 3090

30 fps is perfectly acceptable so long as it never drops lower.  I've never played multiplayer, so I can't speak to it.  Speed of Heat's VR settings are a good place to start.  These are conservative settings that you can increase one by one until you find the sweet spot.  I turn off terrain shadows, set Visibility Range LOW, MSAA x2, resolution 1440p.  SSLR and SSAA are expensive settings to enable.  If you are stuck at 30 you may have Vsync turned on in game settings or the NCP.  I use vsync and get a solid 60 of course in single player with my 3080Ti.  You can post screenshots of your settings here if you like. 

• Like 1

2022/5/29 AM1点52分,Dragon1-1说:

DCS does not get anywhere near 50% CPU utilization unless you're using a dual core CPU. Core utilization is what matters, since all of DCS except the sound system runs on a single core. When people report low CPU utilization, it's typically one core pegged at max and the others idling, because that one core is where DCS is cramming everything. ED is working on a major overhaul that will enable it to use multiple cores, but it's still some time away.

DCS 2.7 is not running in only 2 CPU cores now. And it only occurs in DCS 2.5.5 or ealier versions. DCS 2.7 now consumes too much CPU cores that it can cause high CPU temperature...

2022/5/29 AM1点52分,Dragon1-1说:

If your CPU has cooling trouble, upgrade your cooling. If you want to do CPU-intensive stuff like gaming, it should be able to run at 100% for extended periods of time. I have an off the shelf water cooler now, and I'm looking into a custom water loop for my next rig in order to hopefully do some serious OC.

I doubt that DCS is the reason why an adequate cooled modern CPU gets hot.

Ryzen 5000 is somewhere 12-14watt per core under full load, give or take 2-3 watt depending on 6 core or 16 core CPU. 

i would check cooling if DCS melts your CPU

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X