How to Set laser code for GBU on hot aircraft

RTS354

Is there a way to change the laser code of the GBU's of the f-16 while in flight? I had issues on a multiplayer server where everyone was using the 1688 code, and my bomb hit the wrong target. I know you can change the codes using the kneeboard before engine start, but I would like to change the codes on the fly, or as requested by the JTAC.

On the real aircraft, the bomb codes are changed on the ground by the crew. It would be unrealistic to allow the pilot to step out of the cockpit in mid-air to perform this change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, RTS354 said:

I would like to change the codes on the fly, or as requested by the JTAC.

Can't be done. I forget the condition that is needed to kneeboard-change the code but I think it's engine RPM <1% or similar. It's electrical power off in the F-5E. You'll have to shut down the airplane to change the code.

• Like 2

In the A-10 and F-18 you can magically change it while flying. Not only that, you need to have the engine off so every time you land to rearm you need to shut down the aircraft completely, that means an INS realign.

Same with mavericks, you need to align them on the F-16 but not in the F-18 and A-10.

DCS is very inconsistent.

Edited by Ignition
  • Like 4

It would be nice to be able change the laser codes on the bomb itself which does not require you to shut down, this is how its done in irl. Get the jet starup and ready, taxi to the rearming area "zone" set laser code and rearm.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TEOMOOSE said:

It would be nice to be able change the laser codes on the bomb itself which does not require you to shut down, this is how its done in irl. Get the jet starup and ready, taxi to the rearming area "zone" set laser code and rearm.

Agreed. So long as someone can approach the bomb with a screwdriver, they can change the code. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 3:12 PM, Ignition said:

In the A-10 and F-18 you can magically change it while flying. Not only that, you need to have the engine off so every time you land to rearm you need to shut down the aircraft completely, that means an INS realign.

Same with mavericks, you need to align them on the F-16 but not in the F-18 and A-10.

DCS is very inconsistent.

All 3 aircraft are made by different manufactures. The manufacturers are inconsistent, not DCS.

4 hours ago, 104th_Crunch said:

All 3 aircraft are made by different manufactures. The manufacturers are inconsistent, not DCS.

Huh? There is no inconsistency in reality. It is impossible to set the code on a Paveway II seeker head from the aircraft, regardless of who made the aircraft. All aircraft that align a Maverick seeker head to a targeting pod need to boresight the Maverick seeker in reality. ED has just implemented these restrictions differently in different modules. 

Presumably, this will get rectified at some point in the future. Boresighting should come to the Hornet and Hog. And hopefully all the disparate methods of setting LGB laser codes get replaced with a unified pre-light planning / datacartidge system. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 5/28/2022 at 10:40 PM, _SteelFalcon_ said:

He‘s right. Any % Rpm above 0 and it wont work. Maybe ground power works but dont flip the jfs yet

Actually it works until 15% or so 😛 don't remember exactly how much.

Edited by Furiz
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

Huh? There is no inconsistency in reality. It is impossible to set the code on a Paveway II seeker head from the aircraft, regardless of who made the aircraft. ...

Thanks for the correction. I was mistakenly referring to the way the code is set in each jet to match the GBU, but this post is actually about changing the GBU code itself in flight, which as you say, is impossible.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:20 PM, Rudel_chw said:

On the real aircraft, the bomb codes are changed on the ground by the crew. It would be unrealistic to allow the pilot to step out of the cockpit in mid-air to perform this change.

that was hilarious reply specially on "It would be unrealistic" 😂👌👏

same goes to the CBU height config! and Mark series Bomb fuse and delay , really like to get details realism on bomb fuse setting 

On 5/31/2022 at 1:41 PM, TEOMOOSE said:

100% this.

Its silly that you can fully rearm the jet with GBUs with the engine running, but can't change the codes.

Given the highly abstracted rearm/refuel/repair mechanic in DCS the inability to change GBU laser codes on the ground seems like an inconsistent limitation.

Note that the JF17 has a correct ground-only LGB setting limitation, but you can do that with the engine running. As such, it doesn't look like a base DCS Coding limitation is causing this, rather an inconsistent design decision.

I note the same thing effects the harrier APKWS (but not its LGBs oddly). 

Edited by Floydii
  • Like 2

• ED Team

I will ask the team about the hot aircraft and laser code changing 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

17 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Personally, it would be perfect to get it done via the new bomb fuse selection window shown in this video.

• Like 5

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

14 hours ago, Frederf said:

I assume team is reluctant to adjust the old methods when the new comprehensive system indicated above is pending.

I understand but years pass by and the modules are still incosistent. The F16 was released in 2019 and since then the way to change the laser codes was different to the other modules.

• BIGNEWY changed the title to How to Set laser code for GBU on hot aircraft

Fundamentally, the problem lies in the JTAC — it's because the AI JTAC (wholly unrealistically) can't adjust its code that they have had to invent all these older (equally unrealistic) work-arounds, and over time, some developers have chosen to go for a more sensible route and others have instead opted for JTAC compatibility.

The whole thing needs a game-wide wipe and rewrite, tbh. From JTAC on up, including all laser-guided weapons on all platforms, preferably tying it into a unified and universal (real-time) ground arming and -setup system. Layering on even more half-baked half-measure emergency patch solutions is rapidly becoming more and more untenable.

• Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2022 at 6:06 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Anything new in this regard? 

In real life I dont have the option to jump into hot aircraft, in DCS i have... so we should also be able to change the code while on ground with engine running. It sgould not be possible in air, but when weight on wheels.

• Like 2

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

I second that, changing laser code shouldn't require shutting down engine.

I understand that designing new rearming system that would incorporate setting laser code would take precious manhours, but how about just removing the condition of aircraft fully off?

It's not only unrealistic but also a pain in the lower lower back

• Like 1

• 4 months later...