Shorcut / keybind to set auto ranging quickly and easily

Hippo

I expect to be flamed for requesting this, but can I really be the only person who is getting a little bit irked at having to do this (WEP, B6, A, ENTER, FAB) over and over in each mission?

Or just an option to have auto ranging set as the default?

*Ducks for cover*

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• ED Team
9 minutes ago, Hippo said:

*Ducks for cover*

Grab a helmet. 😉

My two cents: this is another case of asking for the DCS AH-64D to do something that it can't do in real life. Not due to limitations of player hardware, processing power, or user interface; this is altering the very functionality of the avionics.

Is it annoying? Maybe. But is it realistic to how the aircraft avionics was? Yes.

Also keep in mind that autorange isn't used nearly as prevalently in real life as it probably is in DCS due to the limitations of it when it comes to accuracy. If you have to "keep switching to it", I'm guessing you are often actioning the gun while your sight is HMD? In this case, the gun is intended to be used for close range suppression, so autorange isn't typically used and shouldn't matter at those close range shots anyway.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Having a keybind that is a substitute for what would irl be the pushing of a few buttons in sequence is not altering the functionality of the avionics.
Having an option for auto to be the default would be.  But so what? It's a game.

🙂  I do take your point, but I'm sure it's much easier IRL to push the physical buttons, than having to peck at them with a mouse cursor (even with VR).  An assist is justified.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• ED Team
13 minutes ago, Hippo said:

But so what? It's a game.

A game that is intended to be a certain level of accuracy to the real-life counterpart. The module isn't going to make everyone completely satisfied with how it is implemented; but on one hand you have rivet-counters that demand absolute realism (sometimes even at the price of excluding those with physical limitations), and on the other you have players that want an arcade game where everything is balanced with everything else and all planes have afterburners.

19 minutes ago, Hippo said:

Having a keybind that is a substitute for what would irl be the pushing of a few buttons in sequence is not altering the functionality of the avionics.

Or there could just be 3 or 4 keybinds for the 3 or 4 buttons that need to be pressed. You could even bind them to 1, 2, 3, 4 on the keyboard and you would still be able to enter autorange easier than it is in real-life.

You did expect this would be controversial. A lot of people may agree with you, but a lot of people will not and will argue til their face turns blue on here. But I said my piece.

• Thanks 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Maybe grab Voice Attack and setup macros to do those repetitive things? just say "set autorange" or "set george tads video" and voila, it presses the buttons for you 🙂

Bailey already did a profile for voice attack that does all sorts of cool stuff.

Edited by spikenet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a modifier button set on my cyclic (right hand) combined with all the keys on the keyboard (left hand) to send button presses to the KU.  This helps so that you aren't looking down and trying to click buttons on the KU with the mouse.

If you are playing in VR, maybe not so helpful.

On a side note, an AR setup that would let you see your keyboard and other controls in "realspace" when looking down might be interesting.