Seeking Help Matching Warthog Throw Weight with Gunfighter 3

Horns

Edit: I just got a Gunfighter 3 and I'd like to mod it to get close to the throw weight of my warthog stick. Has anyone done this and can they recommend the combination spring and/or cam combinations to change?

This post was previously titled "Seeking Help Adjusting Throw Weight" and was very unclear, so I retitled and rewrote it. Previous text below.

Spoiler

I hope someone can help me. I am sure I can find info on how to make the required adjustments to the base, but I need help working out which adjustments will achieve what I need. 

My new Gunfighter 3 and F-14 grip are great, but I need a heavier throw. I have some minor shakes and issues with fine movements, but the throw weight on my warthog stick compensated for them. Ideally I’d love a throw weight approaching the warthog, but I don’t know which parts to swap out and with what.

Can anyone suggest how I could do that?

Edited by Horns
Rewrite for Clarity

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Gunfighter base comes with different spring strengths - also it is made to accommodate two springs per axis. Experiment with different springs and qty to come up with what feels best for you. 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

58 minutes ago, dburne said:

Gunfighter base comes with different spring strengths - also it is made to accommodate two springs per axis. Experiment with different springs and qty to come up with what feels best for you. 

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer, much appreciated 🙂

• Like 1

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

• Horns changed the title to Seeking Help Matching Warthog Throw Weight with Gunfighter 3

@Horns VKB have a Youtube video that shows what to do and it seems to be the latest information (other YT videos are 3+ years old)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vkb+gunfighter+change+springs

You just have to go slowly thru the video.

Least thats what I found, since there is no voice over, just writing on screen, I had to keep stopping and starting and rewinding the video so I could read the text and watch what VKB was doing both. But it does explain what to do and I got there in the end. 

• Like 1

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

41 minutes ago, Dallas88B said:

@Horns VKB have a Youtube video that shows what to do and it seems to be the latest information (other YT videos are 3+ years old)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vkb+gunfighter+change+springs

You just have to go slowly thru the video.

Least thats what I found, since there is no voice over, just writing on screen, I had to keep stopping and starting and rewinding the video so I could read the text and watch what VKB was doing both. But it does explain what to do and I got there in the end. 

Thanks Dallas, much appreciated. I’ll take a look 🧐

• Like 1

Got this done well enough, so I'll leave this in case someone in future has this issue and finds this thread...

I just wound up changing out the existing springs for one #40 spring per cam, and that has given me a good amount of throw weight and resistance, but it's still light enough (and lighter than the warthog was) to enjoy how smooth this stick is compared to the warthog. I should mention I had tightened the dampers right up when I first got the stick, so no doubt that played a role too. I have a center deadzone of 5 on each axis in DCS and that's plenty, it registers a return to center every time.

I wind up having (even) more affection for the product, being able to get in there and change out the moving parts allows a level of freedom and customization that makes it feel like a next-level product. Now I just have to learn how to fly it.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I run zero deadzone on the X and Y axis.  And I run lighter springs (and little in the way of damper action).

Calibrate the stick in the VKB software and you should be able to reduce that DCS deadzone way way down.

13 minutes ago, Thermal said:

I run zero deadzone on the X and Y axis.  And I run lighter springs (and little in the way of damper action).

Calibrate the stick in the VKB software and you should be able to reduce that DCS deadzone way way down.

Oh ok great, I will do that, much obliged