Advantages of TWS

Gunfreak

3 hours ago, Exorcet said:

The bold bit is one reason why TWS remains relevant then. The post I originally responded to implied TWS is basically never used. One instance of TWS in use obviously doesn't totally refute that, but I'd like to see something to back up the claim.

How unreliable? If it's not by much then there isn't much of a downside.

You know, TWS needs time to build the tracks. If an aircraft maneuvers in certain way it may lose the track, that's why TWS has a smaller scan volume than DTT.

5 hours ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

I think you are forgetting that there was more than one friendly aircraft in that scenario.

I realize that that was the case.

5 hours ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

Had there have been 4 bandits I think if Benji was a 2 ship , no 1 and no 2 would use DTT. Im not sure if DTT existed back then so that may have been the reason that TWS was initially used. 

Maybe, maybe not. However that TWS was used at all seems to point out that it has its place. There will be tradeoffs with DTT as there would be with any other mode, but TWS can't be completely unreliable.

2 hours ago, Ignition said:

You know, TWS needs time to build the tracks. If an aircraft maneuvers in certain way it may lose the track, that's why TWS has a smaller scan volume than DTT.

But this is all vague rule of thumb performance. What can TWS track and what can't it track? If we're going to evaluate how useful it is, numbers would be really helpful. Certainly better than anecdotes.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

4 hours ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

I was told by an active duty viper pilot, "We do not use TWS", and "We literally never use TWS", and he also said TWS is a terrible radar mode. 

That's something to take into account but it's not math which makes it hard to use. It's also non consistent with my video of a pilot literally using TWS. Maybe this is because of when DTT was introduced, but that would be a guess on our part. Also if TWS was so terrible, would it even have a use at a time before DTT?

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

7 hours ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

I was told by an active duty viper pilot, "We do not use TWS", and "We literally never use TWS", and he also said TWS is a terrible radar mode. 

It's used on the Typhoon, so apparently it isn't as terrible there, or maybe that might just explain why Typhoon folks tend to think that the AN/APG-68 isn't a great radar 😈

That's something to take into account but it's not math which makes it hard to use. It's also non consistent with my video of a pilot literally using TWS. Maybe this is because of when DTT was introduced, but that would be a guess on our part. Also if TWS was so terrible, would it even have a use at a time before DTT?

That video is what, 30 years old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

Which is fine. It's an ancient radar, surely worse than what we would have in our 2007 F-16, yet TWS was still worth using apparently.

9 hours ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

And 1/10000 viper pilots told you TWS wasn't worth using. I think the video of TWS being used in combat is more credible than you.

And 1/10000 viper pilots told you TWS wasn't worth using. I think the video of TWS being used in combat is more credible than you.

Well, If your final decision is that it’s good because a 30 year old video has someone scan in TWS than you can believe what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk