Up close with an airworthy F-4 Phantom

Had the opportunity recently to visit an airworthy Phantom, while she was undergoing a maintenance check and inspection. I was able to get the camera out during this time and created a video when they started her engines, plus I was able to talk with a pilot that actually flew the Phantom and get his insight on what it was like flying the Lead Sled.

So while we wait patiently for Heatblur's F4-E, I thought ya'll would enjoy this in the meantime:

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

The Collings ‘D’. 😎
Was going to go stateside a couple years ago (just before covid hit) to purchase a flight - are they still putting the Phantom up for paid flights? Beautifully presented aircraft, my only peeve is that on the Collings webpage for the Phantom, they had listed the stats for the ‘E’ instead of the ‘D’, but that’s just me being picky!

Great video chap. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

On 5/29/2022 at 6:07 PM, G.J.S said:

The Collings ‘D’. 😎
Was going to go stateside a couple years ago (just before covid hit) to purchase a flight - are they still putting the Phantom up for paid flights? Beautifully presented aircraft, my only peeve is that on the Collings webpage for the Phantom, they had listed the stats for the ‘E’ instead of the ‘D’, but that’s just me being picky!

Great video chap. :thumbup:

I’m not sure if they still offer flights or not, it’s something I didn’t think to ask (also unaware they did that).

And thank you, glad you enjoyed the video!

• Like 2

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

1 hour ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

I’m not sure if they still offer flights or not, it’s something I didn’t think to ask (also unaware they did that).

And thank you, glad you enjoyed the video!

Apparently they still do offer flights, but you must have a valid multiengine ticket with a valid medical to fly the jet, same goes for their Me-262.  The TA-4J they only require a PPL and a valid medical.  Gave it some serious thought myself, until the wife saw the prices...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mkellytx said:

Gave it some serious thought myself, until the wife saw the prices...

Just drop into conversation that it’s her turn to choose a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ thing afterwards . . . 😉

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

14 minutes ago, G.J.S said:

Just drop into conversation that it’s her turn to choose a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ thing afterwards . . . 😉

A very good approach that might work if she weren't a musician and done several 'once-in-a-lifetime' things herself, Prince Albert Hall, Europe, backstage at Disney Hall...  Doesn't quite work when I flew professionally on bombers, tankers and transports.  The cost/value proposition of $15,000K to go supersonic just isn't there.  Now the Me-262 thing totally could work...

2 minutes ago, mkellytx said:

A very good approach that might work if she weren't a musician and done several 'once-in-a-lifetime' things herself, Prince Albert Hall, Europe, backstage at Disney Hall...  Doesn't quite work when I flew professionally on bombers, tankers and transports.  The cost/value proposition of $15,000K to go supersonic just isn't there.  Now the Me-262 thing totally could work...

Dammit . . . 😆 I’ll have to think of something else! 
I saw that 262 repro, don’t know why, but there’s just something about that . . . . Even without the rarity value, it’s got that ‘something’ . . .

1 minute ago, G.J.S said:

Dammit . . . 😆 I’ll have to think of something else! 
I saw that 262 repro, don’t know why, but there’s just something about that . . . . Even without the rarity value, it’s got that ‘something’ . . .

The unusual attitude recovery course has some safety value to it, never mind that I've done that for my flight test work.  That said the real reason for not pushing the issue is if Elon can get the trip to Mars down to $100K like he promises, then I bet there will be Moon flights for $30-50K.  That's a once in a lifetime experience worth fighting over!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mkellytx said:

Apparently they still do offer flights, but you must have a valid multiengine ticket with a valid medical to fly the jet, same goes for their Me-262.  The TA-4J they only require a PPL and a valid medical.  Gave it some serious thought myself, until the wife saw the prices...

Dang, I hope it's still flying by the time I get my license. 🙂 I'm certainly gonna go for a PPL once I've got funds to spare, a multiengine ticket is even more expensive but I suppose doable... and then start saving up for a Phantom ride+trip to the US (unless I can get my uni to fund the latter, probably not the former unless I can come up with a biomedical experiment that involves hanging some bacteria off a plane and going to mach 2). 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 6:10 AM, mkellytx said:

Is it has to be FAA license? My country license is only FAA CAT 2