Mission 7 doesn't seem to unfold as it should sometimes.  Am I not hitting certain trigger points? 

Reveal hidden contents

[SPOILERS]Sometimes after I receive the mysterious radio transmission I do not get the follow-up dialogue between myself and Jester discussing reporting it to the CO.  I fly to the rendezvous point at Waypoint 1 (Angels 20), push to Waypoint 2.  On the way receive the mysterious transmission, then get asked to take out two bandits.  Sometimes myself or my wingman manage to take out these bandits, other times the AI take them out.  Is mission progression triggered by and dependent upon taking out these bandits myself?  It's a long mission to play, only to find when you land on the carrier that it's a draw.  I've noticed a few AI issues, Blackhawks not taking off etc.  Is that fouling up the works? 

Edited by JupiterJoe

Hi,

Thanks for feedback.

Spoiler

Spoiler coming!

After proceeding from rendezvous you should hear unclear radio call. Right after that two two ship Mig flights should pop up from Bandar Abbas and Havadarya. It does not matter who kills them. Actually only thing that matters is that both Hornet flights (Enfield 3 and 4) will reach target areas. That will trigger Beast to call package to egress followed by discussion about the radio call. Mission success is dependent of Enfield 3 and 4 reaching targets and you to land safely to the carrier or to alternate. Now that you said it I found that those stupid Air Force pilots land on wrong airfield and collide each other on runway. Fortunately that or any Blackhawk starting problems won't affect mission itself.

I'm pretty sure I know what is the problem. Few updates ago I found that Enfield 4 flight sometimes but not always fail to leave rendezvous holding. God knows why because there is same trigger for all AI to leave the rendezvous and everyone else does it. That will cause egress call not to be triggered and mission will fail. I have already submitted fix for this issue to ED but unfortunately it did not make it to last update. I hope they get it to next one.

But did you, Jester and Beast had that conversation about the radio call, landed safely and still got mission failed?

• Thanks 1

Thank you Sandman.  I shall keep an eye on Enfield 3 & 4.  If they don't leave the rendezvous point I'll know it isn't worth continuing the mission and restart.  I've played the mission four times and have only had it work properly on one occasion.  Unfortunately on that occasion I failed to land on the Carrier, d'oh! 🙄   I appreciate all your efforts and I'm loving your Campaign.

EDIT: Just playing through now.  Everything's working as it should...and the game froze on approach 🤣

Edited by JupiterJoe

I have one or two admin remarks to this Mission

1. As usual I would love to have the Bullseye in the Map and more important in the Nav System (like FP) - helps tremendous with SA. Already put it myself in during startup, but would be nice to have it in the mission already

2. The mission is barely playable in VR. Got a beefy system but been CPU limited almost the whole mission. Might be a little much going on.

3. Mission worked fine until platform. Game froze

4. Mission did run fine 2 times (first time I had to abort due to real life, but Trigger seemed to fired

5. @JupiterJoe   The stack altitude depends on who is in front of you, I believe. I got put at A20

6. I could not reach overlord on the frequency for picture update - which would have been helpful. Got all the necessary calls though.

Conclusion: Nice mission but a little too much depending on a beefy system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

I have one or two admin remarks to this Mission

1. As usual I would love to have the Bullseye in the Map and more important in the Nav System (like FP) - helps tremendous with SA. Already put it myself in during startup, but would be nice to have it in the mission already

2. The mission is barely playable in VR. Got a beefy system but been CPU limited almost the whole mission. Might be a little much going on.

3. Mission worked fine until platform. Game froze

4. Mission did run fine 2 times (first time I had to abort due to real life, but Trigger seemed to fired

5. @JupiterJoe   The stack altitude depends on who is in front of you, I believe. I got put at A20

6. I could not reach overlord on the frequency for picture update - which would have been helpful. Got all the necessary calls though.

Conclusion: Nice mission but a little too much depending on a beefy system.

Hi,

There might be some elements not so important for the mission that could be excluded to ease a bit with system requirements. I'll check that. Game freezing at the end is very annoying. Unfortunately I still can't give you reason why you have this problem. It could be mission being too massive but @JupiterJoe had that problem with earlier missions too with much less units in air. 

Overlord not being available via communication menu is deliberate choice I had to made in this and actually in quite many missions. Reason is when there more things going on at same time channel would be filled with AWACS calls about distant enemies not being important to player at the time. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Same here.....very heavy mission to a point which is unplayable for me and I also have a descent system...same for mission 6. To be fair I don;t know if the general FPS issues I had is because of the latest DCS beta update, but I haven't experienced anything this bad as this campaing...Only the dynamic liberation campaign when I select a very heavy scenario. Also froze at some point while I was still approaching Steer point 1. I'm now bailing on this campaing because of the low quality, bad optimisation and general issues. I'm sorry to say it's the first time I'm crying for the money I spent for a DCS product. 

Edited by Antonisrho

My System:

MB: MSI Z790-P, CPU: i7-13700K @ 5.4 GHz,  RAM: Corsair DDR5 64GB 6400MHz, SSD: NVMe Crucial P3 Plus 4TB, Nvidia 3080, Oculus Quest 2

On 6/26/2022 at 12:55 PM, Antonisrho said:

Same here.....very heavy mission to a point which is unplayable for me and I also have a descent system...same for mission 6. To be fair I don;t know if the general FPS issues I had is because of the latest DCS beta update, but I haven't experienced anything this bad as this campaing...Only the dynamic liberation campaign when I select a very heavy scenario. Also froze at some point while I was still approaching Steer point 1. I'm now bailing on this campaing because of the low quality, bad optimisation and general issues. I'm sorry to say it's the first time I'm crying for the money I spent for a DCS product. 

Hi,

Sorry to hear there has been more performance problems. Mission 7 got some changes in 8th of june Open Beta update to make it less performance demanding. According to your experience not enough. I have found that performance demand has grown durin last year updates. I don't exactly know what has changed. Even my freeware training mini-campaign got freezing problems (about one year after release) with too many aircrafts coming into view at the same moment. I never had those problems while testing either of these campaigns. https://forum.dcs.world/topic/302245-nttr-training-campaign-mission-4/#comment-4985237. Also being too cautious about future performance issues will cause lots of restrictions for mission planning. Must find some balance.

Do you use VR or some other performance demanding equipment like multiple high-resolution displays?

About general issues. All feedback is appreciated so that if I sometimes will find enough time to build new campaign (it takes about year for me while doing it part-time) there would be less problems you have already encountered with this campaign. Dissatisfaction about voice-over quality has been clear but if you have some other relevant issues in your mind I would be really eager to hear.

Performance-wise I believe you have everything thrown and fully active without any need! All units with ai on doing stuff for things the player cannot even see as they are hidden in F-10. You should have used more triggers to switch units and their ai on and off only to when it’s needed. If you want to keep the narrative of what’s happening in the background just use dialogue (NOT robotic text-to-speech if you don’t have the ability to get people to voice act, even VHF general noise in the background with text only). That would keep the fully active ai units to a minimum required.

Yes I use VR but the bottleneck is the CPU. I know DCS is not very well optimised either especially beta with latest updates (eg when on ground, carrier or especially in a hangar cold and dark FPS plummets). But all other campaigns have triggers spawning and de-spawning units only when needed making them playable. especially when starting this mission it’s non-playable with terrible fps!

My System:

MB: MSI Z790-P, CPU: i7-13700K @ 5.4 GHz,  RAM: Corsair DDR5 64GB 6400MHz, SSD: NVMe Crucial P3 Plus 4TB, Nvidia 3080, Oculus Quest 2

6 hours ago, Antonisrho said:

Performance-wise I believe you have everything thrown and fully active without any need! All units with ai on doing stuff for things the player cannot even see as they are hidden in F-10. You should have used more triggers to switch units and their ai on and off only to when it’s needed. If you want to keep the narrative of what’s happening in the background just use dialogue (NOT robotic text-to-speech if you don’t have the ability to get people to voice act, even VHF general noise in the background with text only). That would keep the fully active ai units to a minimum required.

Yes I use VR but the bottleneck is the CPU. I know DCS is not very well optimised either especially beta with latest updates (eg when on ground, carrier or especially in a hangar cold and dark FPS plummets). But all other campaigns have triggers spawning and de-spawning units only when needed making them playable. especially when starting this mission it’s non-playable with terrible fps!

Thanks for your reply. I'll need to pay more attention for performance indeed.

You are right about lots of things happening around even if they are not currently relevant for player. For scripted mission where player will fly pretty much pre-planned route,  it is possible (and maybe recommendable) to set AI to activate only when necessary. I think there is problem when player happens to fly anywhere else and there will be no war going on around, empty radar/RWR screen, no threat from ground and so on. Maybe it could be made to work with triggers activating AI units only when player is getting closer. It just would need tons of triggers to take into account all unexpected ways player can fly the mission if freedom for this is given. Range to activate AI also must be quite long anyway if we want to get realistic RWR warnings.

My goal was to use AI units fighting against each other around area player will operate to create some dynamicity and to make it look like real war even if player happens to fly a bit different route I have thought he/she will. I think it was too ambitious plan taking into account how much CPU performance is needed.

I might be bit crazy or stupid but actually at the moment I'm trying to solve how to make campaign with somehow dynamic ground war going on around where players squadron actions would or would not have effect for result. Like Operation Pontus but with dynamic ground war. I have found that even few moving and fighting ground units will cause FSP drop. For some reason it is much worse than with air units. I have found way to make it work with my triple display solution without getting power point show but I haven't been able to test it yet with VR. I think there is still a long way for playable campaign... or to trash can.