No adjustable brightness of clock and UHF preset indicator

Ready

Hi, I understand the clock and the radio preset indicator should be connected to the flight instruments lights dial, but they are not?

During night ops these two items shine very bright, while everything else can be tuned down nicely. Especially very noticeable in VR night ops.

Posted it last year in the wishlist:

• Like 2

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Materials Lua Location.jpg

Materials Lua.jpg

A10C UHF Radio Colour.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Asus Dark Hero X570, AMD 5800x Oc to 5ghz on 2 cores, RX6900XT Reference Oc to 2700mhz+MPT, All on Custom Water Loop, 3600 CL15 XMP, 2xCrucial P5P 1T M2, Hotas Warthog, Reverb G2,

Latest DCS Open Beta and VR only

A10CII and AH64D, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Caucasus 

Indeed, fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Clock Colour

Found this video by @Snoopy so have adjusted the RGB colours to somewhere between Amber and Champagne ( 255, 200, 150, 30) The last number '30' controls brightness so '0' is nothing and '100 to 255' is ultra bright. '30 to 50' (I chose 30) works well all weathers day or night.

A10C Clock Colour Update D.jpg

A10C Clock Colour Update N.jpg

Just need to find the correct actual colours for the UHF and repeater for day and night, anyone know?

Asus Dark Hero X570, AMD 5800x Oc to 5ghz on 2 cores, RX6900XT Reference Oc to 2700mhz+MPT, All on Custom Water Loop, 3600 CL15 XMP, 2xCrucial P5P 1T M2, Hotas Warthog, Reverb G2,

2 hours ago, Scoop said:

Clock Colour

Found this video by @Snoopy so have adjusted the RGB colours to somewhere between Amber and Champagne ( 255, 200, 150, 30) The last number '30' controls brightness so '0' is nothing and '100 to 255' is ultra bright. '30 to 50' (I chose 30) works well all weathers day or night.

Just need to find the correct actual colours for the UHF and repeater for day and night, anyone know?

Color is the same for day & night.

Thanks, is the UHF and repeater colour correct (aquamarine as I have it) or is that amber too, or grey even

4 hours ago, Snoopy said:

Color is the same for day & night.

Great! 

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 6/5/2022 at 8:33 PM, Snoopy said:

Actually the default color in DCS is almost a perfect match to the real color on the jet.

This solution is perfect for set up a night mission, but those settings are too faint for daylight. In that case one should change the settings based on time of day which is a hassle.

@Snoopy, in the real jet are these things (UHF radio main display, radio repeater and digital clock) have fixed brightness, change brightness automatically, or connected to one of the instruments lighting knobs? Thanks.

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

3 hours ago, St4rgun said:

This solution is perfect for set up a night mission, but those settings are too faint for daylight. In that case one should change the settings based on time of day which is a hassle.

@Snoopy, in the real jet are these things (UHF radio main display, radio repeater and digital clock) have fixed brightness, change brightness automatically, or connected to one of the instruments lighting knobs? Thanks.

The repeater and clock are supposed to be controlled by the Flight Instruments dial on the lighting panel AFAIK.  Not sure about the actual radio

I suppose you could make the edits into a OVGME mod folder, that would make it easier to change between missions, but you'd still have to quit out of DCS to change it

If those are controlled by the flight instruments dial then it means we should use that dial to full brightness in daytime?

Which implicates also the throttle pinky switch to back for the lighting panel to function?

• HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

1 hour ago, St4rgun said:

If those are controlled by the flight instruments dial then it means we should use that dial to full brightness in daytime?

Which implicates also the throttle pinky switch to back for the lighting panel to function?

That does seem to be the case for the clock, not sure about the UHF repeater.  Hopefully somebody knows if the clock goes back to full brightness when the dial is turned to OFF, like some instruments I've seen, though.

The pinky switch is the master EXTERIOR light switch 🙂 

Edited by jaylw314

On 6/5/2022 at 12:42 PM, Scoop said:

Clock Colour

Hello, can this method reduce the brightness of TGP and Maverick TV,It would be very useful at night ??? Thanks

Edited by Dragan

38 minutes ago, Dragan said:

Hello, can this method reduce the brightness of TGP and Maverick TV,It would be very useful at night ??? Thanks

This is not needed anymore for them, because in the last OB patch they fixed the DSP rocker function for each MFCDs which can now control the backlight of the displays perfectly.

2 hours ago, Snoopy said:

During the day you don’t need to adjust any switches to see the repeater or clock at full brightness.

So let's sum up.

The Flight Instruments Lights Dial should control the following instruments in such a way, that in OFF state they should have FULL brightness for daylight use, and changed according to the dial otherwise:

• Digital clock
  • UHF repeater
  • UHF radio frequency display on the left console (?)
  • Navigation mode select switches
  • AOA indexer lights

The Signal Lights Switch also should correctly dim ALL the warning and caution advisory lights.

None of this dial nor the switch work as intended right now.

Is that correct?

9 hours ago, Snoopy said:

During the day you don’t need to adjust any switches to see the repeater or clock at full brightness.

It sounds, then, like it is similar to other instruments I've seen where it's full bright with the light rheostat off, then goes full dim when you turn it on, then brighter again as you turn it clockwise?  That would make sense if it were that way

17 hours ago, St4rgun said:

So let's sum up.

The Flight Instruments Lights Dial should control the following instruments in such a way, that in OFF state they should have FULL brightness for daylight use, and changed according to the dial otherwise:

• Digital clock
  • UHF repeater
  • UHF radio frequency display on the left console (?)
  • Navigation mode select switches
  • AOA indexer lights

The Signal Lights Switch also should correctly dim ALL the warning and caution advisory lights.

None of this dial nor the switch work as intended right now.

Is that correct?

Nope. The Flight instrument dial lights the following:

ADI

HSI

airspeed indicator

vvi

aoa guage

clock 

nmsp panel

altimeter

the rheostat being in the off positions just turns all the lights all the way off. They are analog gauges that require no lighting at all. During the day you could crank them up and probably wouldn’t even notice the light effect in full daylight. The behavior your talking about is in other planes where they have digital displays and it’s controlling screen brightness not bezzel lights.  

the clock and repeater screens are like an old school game boy screen or a watch face they aren’t back lit at all until you turn the light on. they are pretty easy to see during the day.

the signal light dims everything but there are things that will automatically turn them back to bright light when you’re messing with the lights. Recommend  that switch be set to dim after you adjust your other lights so you don’t accidentally turn them back to bright

Edited by ASAP

42 minutes ago, ASAP said:

Nope. The Flight instrument dial lights the following:

ADI

HSI

airspeed indicator

vvi

aoa guage

clock 

nmsp panel

altimeter

the rheostat being in the off positions just turns all the lights all the way off. They are analog gauges that require no lighting at all. During the day you could crank them up and probably wouldn’t even notice the light effect in full daylight. The behavior your talking about is in other planes where they have digital displays and it’s controlling screen brightness not bezzel lights.  

the signal light dims everything but there are things that will automatically turn them back to bright light when you’re messing with the lights. They should be set to dim after you adjust your other lights

All right, let's clarify: I listed all the instrument lighting which are supposed to work with Flight instrument dial but they are not working this way right now. Obviously what is working well is not listed.

For me the Signal Lights Switch does not seems to work either.

We'd like to have a clarification about the intended behaviour of these two light controls to be able to decide that the current status is faulty or not.

One thing is for sure: right now at night in VR I can set everything to have a comfortable dim lighting except these: AOA indexer, clock, UHF repeater, UHF radio frequency display, NMSP buttons, signal lights.

8 hours ago, St4rgun said:

All right, let's clarify: I listed all the instrument lighting which are supposed to work with Flight instrument dial but they are not working this way right now. Obviously what is working well is not listed.

For me the Signal Lights Switch does not seems to work either.

We'd like to have a clarification about the intended behaviour of these two light controls to be able to decide that the current status is faulty or not.

One thing is for sure: right now at night in VR I can set everything to have a comfortable dim lighting except these: AOA indexer, clock, UHF repeater, UHF radio frequency display, NMSP buttons, signal lights.

Sorry I misunderstood. looked like it was just an incorrect list. The AOA indexer isn’t controlled by that rheostat. Just the AOA gauge at the bottom left.

When the rheostat is off the lights are off when it’s out of the off position it controls the brightness of the lights just like a dimmer switch in your house. The clock is normally not lit up and a backlight comes on when you turn the rheostat up. The rheostat is just controlling a bezel light that is pointed at the gauges and they all turn up and down uniformly. The signal light should (but doesn’t) make all the warning and caution lights dimmer to include the gun ready NWS lights. The AOA indexer and the refueling status lights are controlled by a separate rheostat on the left console. Pretty sure that also doesn’t work right now. 

15 hours ago, ASAP said:

the clock and repeater screens are like an old school game boy screen or a watch face they aren’t back lit at all until you turn the light on. they are pretty easy to see during the day

Ooooooh, okay, that's interesting!  That's not obvious at all looking at it in that video above, and definitely not in a DCS cockpit.  That would make sense, though

If the clock, UHF repeater and the UHF radio frequency display are simple inverted backlit LCDs then it's okay, but in that case ED should model the LCDs visibility behaviour to enviromental light which would be tricky (clear contrast at daylight without any backlight which fades as lights are dimmer when it needs backlight to be correctly seen).

Tha clock amber like colour on Snoopy's video then caused by the covering plexiglass before the LCD, so it's that amber colour without any backlight?

I can't recall a plane in DCS which applies LCD screens without backlight and correctly modelled the screen behaviour, so this bug could need a serious work to solve...

10 hours ago, St4rgun said:

If the clock, UHF repeater and the UHF radio frequency display are simple inverted backlit LCDs then it's okay, but in that case ED should model the LCDs visibility behaviour to enviromental light which would be tricky (clear contrast at daylight without any backlight which fades as lights are dimmer when it needs backlight to be correctly seen).

Tha clock amber like colour on Snoopy's video then caused by the covering plexiglass before the LCD, so it's that amber colour without any backlight?

I can't recall a plane in DCS which applies LCD screens without backlight and correctly modelled the screen behaviour, so this bug could need a serious work to solve...

Yeah, that could explain why the clock isn't controlled the same way, they probably figured they'd model it correctly at some point in the future and didn't get around to it.