Why does "show notes" not work, and another issue

KungFu

I've had soooo much trouble in the past with Vaicom that I basically did not want to touch it ever again.   I just got a new PC and Win 11 so I decided to give it another try and the frustration flows like the dark side through Vader.

First thing.   Kneeboard refused to work, trained it in the editor and got 95% or greater confidence many times.  Thinking good I got it, nope when actually in DCS it thinks I'm saying "need boar"  Boar is tasty but I want my f'in kneeboard.   I had to reboot for another reason and now it works.  Let's see if that sticks.

Great, so I can get the JTAC AAR, and other tabs just fine, but I look in the docs and to get to Notes, I'm supposed to say Show Notes, cool I see that in the editor and I train it to be sure.   In game..nothing, also says unrecognized so I check the profile and do a search for notes and there is nothing??? Is it a hidden sub command or something?  Either way it doesn't work.

So what phrase do I use to bring up the notes tab?  I've tried "notes" just like "JTAC" etc and nothing.  No consistency here Why would Show Notes be in the Editor yet not in the profile itself?  This is a freakin' pain.  

Next thing, sometimes (I'd say actually 60% of the time) My PTT buttons (Comm switch on the Warthog) do not keep listening when holding.   I hold the button and it listens and suspends immediately.   The other 40% of the time it works.  I have not determined why this may be happening but sometimes it starts working during the mission.  I don't have issues like this with other VA profiles

My post a bit harsh?  Well it's paid for software so I'd expect it to be top notch with proper documentation...not seeing that at the moment.

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

Sounds like commands are missing from the VAICOM VoiceAttack profile. Make sure you do the "Finish" step. VoiceAttack do not currently support editing a profile with an external app (which VAICOM is), so this must be done manually unfortunately. 

As for the commands

Show log

Show notes

ATC/Batumi page etc

JTAC/Anvil/Darknight page

AWACS/Darkstar page

Chief/Sarge/Crew page

Crystal Palace page

Hope this helps. 

Harsh? Nah, but the manual is top notch, but one must read it. 😊 Just kidding. 

Check to commands first, and we'll have a look at the listening suspended issue later. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Ok, so going down your list, show log and notes are not coming up during a search of the profile.   I have not added anything during the editor session, no alias' nothing.  All I did was go through each one and train it.   Yes I did hit finish.  This is a fresh download and install as of yesterday morning, including VA.

I have 502 in the Keyword Collections category, I have all optional Vaicom modules.  The editor claims a number of 1011 phrases, but I know there are some under the Edit page of the profile.

Now as far as the transmit not "holding"   It works just fine while DCS is not running and I have VA up with the profile loaded before running DCS.   It works fine until I hit fly in the mission and get in the jet, it goes back to resumed/suspended when holding the button down.

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

10 hours ago, KungFu said:

Ok, so going down your list, show log and notes are not coming up during a search of the profile.   I have not added anything during the editor session, no alias' nothing.  All I did was go through each one and train it.   Yes I did hit finish.  This is a fresh download and install as of yesterday morning, including VA.

I have 502 in the Keyword Collections category, I have all optional Vaicom modules.  The editor claims a number of 1011 phrases, but I know there are some under the Edit page of the profile.

Now as far as the transmit not "holding"   It works just fine while DCS is not running and I have VA up with the profile loaded before running DCS.   It works fine until I hit fly in the mission and get in the jet, it goes back to resumed/suspended when holding the button down.

1. The training thing, seems to be a personal hit or miss. NEVER did me any good. But doing the Microsoft Speech Recognition training 20 times did. 

2. Sorry for being pedantic. Did you the "Finish STEP"? Clicking finish doesn't do anything but copying the Keywords Editor keywords to the clipboard. You must paste them yourself in the VoiceAttack VAICOM profile. If this isn't done, VAICOM will not work. As long as you don't have VSPX enabled, just click on the test button in the Keywords editor, and it will tell you if there are missing keywords in the profile. And yes, a new install will have missing keywords in the profile.

3. I don't have the listening suspended issue ever more, don't really remember what I did, but it only roared it's ugly head when hitting "Fly", that's true. 

Cheers! 

Yeah I did the finish step, I went from top to bottom on the install docs.   

The voice recognition seems to be better on Windows 11 for me, when I first tried this stuff last year after getting more into VR with my Win 10 machine, VA with Vaicom wouldn't recognize much of anything but I had been using VA with another paid for space sim profile using plugins and it was perfect. 

So, at least that's not an issue.

My biggest issue now is the listening suspended problem.   Funny thing....hit ESC to bring up the DCS menu, give it a command,  then hit ESC again and the command will complete.

Honestly thinking of wiping everything out and starting over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KungFu said:

Yeah I did the finish step, I went from top to bottom on the install docs.   

The voice recognition seems to be better on Windows 11 for me, when I first tried this stuff last year after getting more into VR with my Win 10 machine, VA with Vaicom wouldn't recognize much of anything but I had been using VA with another paid for space sim profile using plugins and it was perfect. 

So, at least that's not an issue.

My biggest issue now is the listening suspended problem.   Funny thing....hit ESC to bring up the DCS menu, give it a command,  then hit ESC again and the command will complete.

Honestly thinking of wiping everything out and starting over.

Can you post your settings? I cannot remember the fix for this. But maybe somebody will. 

If you want to reset VAICOM to default. Just rename and move the VAICOM folder under VoiceAttack and paste in a new one. Remove the profile from within VA, and import the latest from the VAICOM plugin after VA restart. 

Always make sure VA is off when updating DCS, and always start VA before you start DCS. 

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Can you post your settings? I cannot remember the fix for this. But maybe somebody will. 

If you want to reset VAICOM to default. Just rename and move the VAICOM folder under VoiceAttack and paste in a new one. Remove the profile from within VA, and import the latest from the VAICOM plugin after VA restart. 

Always make sure VA is off when updating DCS, and always start VA before you start DCS. 

Which settings?, that's a lot of screenshots, and I'm pretty sure at this point it is nothing wrong on my end due to the following:

I did confirm what was found out in the other listening suspended topic in this forum (which I don't see a solution on a very big, older thread which is concerning).   It is only a problem in a cold jet, works just fine in a hot or in flight start.

So it works fine until you hit the fly button or you are starting cold.

I have 3 campaigns I just purchased and not going to modify 100 or so missions from cold to hot start if anyone suggests that 🙂    I did put in a support ticket to support@vaicompro.com

11 minutes ago, KungFu said:

Which settings?, that's a lot of screenshots, and I'm pretty sure at this point it is nothing wrong on my end due to the following:

I did confirm what was found out in the other listening suspended topic in this forum (which I don't see a solution on a very big, older thread which is concerning).   It is only a problem in a cold jet, works just fine in a hot or in flight start.

So it works fine until you hit the fly button or you are starting cold.

I have 3 campaigns I just purchased and not going to modify 100 or so missions from cold to hot start if anyone suggests that 🙂    I did put in a support ticket to support@vaicompro.com

1. VAICOM settings. That's only 3-4 important ones. I'm most interested in your MP tab. 

2. Yes, this issue have been around for some time now. For SOME people. I did have it, changed ONE setting on the MP tab and and restarted VA. That was the tip from @Hollywood_315himself by the way. But I cannot remember if that was the solution for others. No when I think about it. They had to remove DiCE, you don't have that installed by any chance do you? Actually, now I really really hope you do!!! Other mods and apps? What's in your export.lua? 

3. No, I wouldn't suggest that. You won't be able to anyway. DLC campaigns are encrypted and can't be saved. So that's that. 

47 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

1. VAICOM settings. That's only 3-4 important ones. I'm most interested in your MP tab. 

2. Yes, this issue have been around for some time now. For SOME people. I did have it, changed ONE setting on the MP tab and and restarted VA. That was the tip from @Hollywood_315himself by the way. But I cannot remember if that was the solution for others. No when I think about it. They had to remove DiCE, you don't have that installed by any chance do you? Actually, now I really really hope you do!!! Other mods and apps? What's in your export.lua? 

3. No, I wouldn't suggest that. You won't be able to anyway. DLC campaigns are encrypted and can't be saved. So that's that. 

2. No mods other than SRS and I haven't even set that up yet

BTW, I've basically disabled everything and tried every setting on this page, restart after each and nothing seems to change the outcome.

vaicommp.png

Export.lua

Edited by KungFu

20 hours ago, KungFu said:

I am not that well versed in Vaicom Pro , but did notice I show a lot more keywords than you are showing, mine shows over 1k on the keywords collection category if I am reading it right. Don't know if that might be related or not but does seem to be a significant difference.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

21 minutes ago, dburne said:

I am not that well versed in Vaicom Pro , but did notice I show a lot more keywords than you are showing, mine shows over 1k on the keywords collection category. Don't know if that might be related or not but does seem to be a significant difference.

I've fixed the issue with it recognizing keywords, so kneeboard / show notes works now. I had to train everything like 10 times.   My only issue now is the listening/suspending issue when starting cold.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KungFu said:

I've fixed the issue with it recognizing keywords, so kneeboard / show notes works now. I had to train everything like 10 times.   My only issue now is the listening/suspending issue when starting cold.

I take it you've only tried SP yet. Could you try disabling MP for a quick test? 

And you haven't done any real changes on the TX setup in the VA profile, except to define the actual physical joystick buttons. Right? 

I've only been SP so far.   Only thing I did was setup the joystick/buttons.  I've already tried disabling MP based on other posts.

No Joy.

3 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

I take it you've only tried SP yet. Could you try disabling MP for a quick test? 

And you haven't done any real changes on the TX setup in the VA profile, except to define the actual physical joystick buttons. Right? 

I found a work-around.  If I start VA up AFTER I have powered up the aircraft then it works fine I think.   I do have some question on whether or not NOTES are populated later in the mission doing it this way though, Notes doesn't seem to be populating.

So maybe that tells Vaicom devs something...don't know but at least I don't feel like I've wasted money if functionality is not affected by starting it after DCS.....I know it says not to in the manual but it's all I got.

6 hours ago, KungFu said:

I found a work-around.  If I start VA up AFTER I have powered up the aircraft then it works fine I think.   I do have some question on whether or not NOTES are populated later in the mission doing it this way though, Notes doesn't seem to be populating.

So maybe that tells Vaicom devs something...don't know but at least I don't feel like I've wasted money if functionality is not affected by starting it after DCS.....I know it says not to in the manual but it's all I got.

Well, just make sure to start it before DCS, after next DCS update, and just restart it. 😊 What you can  try. In the VAICOM folder you will find a vaicompro.exe I use that one to start VA, and if VA crashes (happened yesterday for the first time in about a year), it will restart VA for you. So if you have the issue, just make a plain vanilla shutdown VA command, and it will start it up again. I do see a strange behaviour sometimes. Sometimes I get "command disabled" bla bla. Especially if I change modules, without restarting DCS. I then have to restart VA, and then sometimes it works. Sometimes not. I guess it has to do with all the different TX/hardware I use for the different modules, and VAICOM switches automatically depending on the module. This issue surfaced with the 2.5.25 update. And at the same time people started getting the "listening suspended" issue. 

Just sayin', cheers!