South African Livery

VictorDavion

I'm not a skin artist, so I cannot help you, but is usually good idea to add some pictures of the scheme you desire, so the skinners knew what you need.

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I really wanted to do one, collected all the tools, examples, etc.....then discovered I frankly suck at using picture editing software, and wasn't about to learn. So.....er, plus one from my side, I think it would be a cool skin (like the Rooivalk).

• 2 months later...

image.png

Using this skin: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317137/

I made a quick and dirty conversion using a fictional roundel, Krita software, and the dds conversion website here:

https://www.aconvert.com/

If this sounds interesting, I would be inclined to ask the original author if he could add a South African flag on the tail of the hind and change the Russian warning to something like:

BEWARE which in Afrikaans is 'PASOP'

or

DANGER which in Afrikaans is 'GEVAAR'

One could also use both roundels from either 'Sandline' or the knight  from 'Executive Outcomes' - A merc 'dakedak' would really float my boat.

Let me know what you thinks.

greetings

Dertien

image.png

Edited by dertien

3 hours ago, dertien said:

image.png

Using this skin: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317137/

I made a quick and dirty conversion using a fictional roundel, Krita software, and the dds conversion website here:

https://www.aconvert.com/

If this sounds interesting, I would be inclined to ask the original author if he could add a South African flag on the tail of the hind and change the Russian warning to something like:

BEWARE which in Afrikaans is 'PASOP'

or

DANGER which in Afrikaans is 'GEVAAR'

One could also use both roundels from either 'Sandline' or the knight  from 'Executive Outcomes' - A merc 'dakedak' would really float my boat.

Let me know what you thinks.

greetings

Dertien

image.png

If you have edited the skin already surely you can add the extras? You wouldn't be able to re-distribute without the original author's permission.

4 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

If you have edited the skin already surely you can add the extras? You wouldn't be able to re-distribute without the original author's permission.

1) What I meant is that on his page he added the following in French, which I happen to speak fluently:

"Je réalise vos livrées sur-mesure, pour solo ou team. Service gratuit, je le fais sur mon temps libre"

Which translates to, "I can make custom skins for you, either single or multiplayer. Free of charge, I do this in my spare time."

That is why I said that, not to steal his work, and rebrand it as my own. Besides whenever I 'stole' something without permission and redistributed it, (which I have done in the past) I ALWAYS include the original author, and the website I took it from. I made a few mods for other games, and I don't mind that people do this with my work without asking as long as credit is given.

Something my ego can happily live with.

2) There is a difference in changing HSV values and copy pasting other images on top of things and make them seamlessly fit with the rest. Doing skins takes time also because of the dds format, which Krita does not natively support, although it is a great completely free image manipulation software, just like Gimp.

The original author has all that stuff on different layers, and while what I did here, is not a bad result, on a scale of 1-100% this would probably max out at 7.5/10, while he who has the orignal files could make it a crispy 100% and remove the two white stripes at the back to make it even more 'unique'. Something that is not easily done if you don't have the original files.

Edited by dertien

3 minutes ago, dertien said:

1) What I meant is that on his page he added the following in French, which I happen to speak fluently:

"Je réalise vos livrées sur-mesure, pour solo ou team. Service gratuit, je le fais sur mon temps libre"

Which translates to, "I can make custom skins for you, either single or multiplayer. Free of charge, I do this in my spare time."

That is why I said that, not to steal his work, and rebrand it as my own. Besides whenever I 'stole' something without permission and redistributed it, (which I have done in the past) I ALWAYS include the original author, and the website I took it from. I made a few mods for other games, and I don't mind that people do this with my work without asking as long as credit is given.

Something my ego can happily live with.

2) There is a difference in changing HSV values and copy pasting other images on top of things and make them seamlessly fit with the rest. Doing skins takes time also because of the dds format, which Krita does not natively support, although it is a great completely free image manipulation software, just like Gimp.

The original author has all that stuff on different layers, and while what I did here, is not a bad result, on a scale of 1-100% this would probably max out at 7.5/10, while he who has the orignal files could make it a crispy 100% and remove the two white stripes at the back to make it even more 'unique'. Something that is not easily done if you don't have the original files.

Fair enough. I have a few skins I have modified for my own use. I don't distribute them either. I guess its easier to do then in photoshop as I can remove most things but add whatever I like on top.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The livery was updated to V1.2 featuring larger roundels, as well as a new heavily worn scheme.

SAAF_Modern_3.jpg

SAAF_Modern_2.jpg

Here is another South African scheme for the Hind based on the 80's Puma/Oryx livery. It comes in two flavors:

• Early 80's with old SAAF roundels
  • Late 80's featuring modern SAAF roundels

These can be downloaded in the file section:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3331029/

SAAF_80_3.jpg

SAAF_80_2.jpg

• Like 1