Inforced landinggear?

Bedouin

Since the Strike Eagle is a heavy bird especially with drop tanks, are the landing gear then stronger than for example the Viper and more similar to the Harrier and Hornet... Asking since i am a Hornet driver and has a tendency to tough/hard landings, and was wondering if i am gonna break the Strike Eagle with this kind of treatment..

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

Anecdote, but I heard about a Mudhen driver who went out on a checkride, and it went fine, but the instructor told him he should join the Navy, since he landed it with a sorry excuse for a flare. 🙂 So, you shouldn't be too worried about breaking the gear, but the WSO might not be happy if you do it consistently. 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Anecdote, but I heard about a Mudhen driver who went out on a checkride, and it went fine, but the instructor told him he should join the Navy, since he landed it with a sorry excuse for a flare. 🙂 So, you shouldn't be too worried about breaking the gear, but the WSO might not be happy if you do it consistently. 🙂 

So you would could land it like a Hornet, with minimal flare and lots of wheelbrake 😉

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

You’re going to snap the gear clean off if you land it like the hornet without a flair.

Yes the Mudhen gear is beefed up compared to the standard F-15, but it is still an airforce jet and not designed for a zero flair 700fpm drive into the runway like the Hornet.

Aerobraking is a big part of slowing the F-15 down on landing as well.

Edited by Deano87
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

2 hours ago, Deano87 said:

You’re going to snap the gear clean off if you land it like the hornet without a flair.

You do need a bit of a flare, but since you're not flying the F-15C, landing without any flair is probably acceptable. 🙂 

• Like 1