Absolutely terrible performances in MP. Would upgrading CPU help ?

lucky-hendrix

Hi Guys,

After tweaking seriously  my setup I can run VR pretty comfortably in SP, even in heavy missions.

However hopping on the popular MP servers (Enigma is the worst unfortunately, but 4YA, blueflag are not great either) performances go down the drain. I tried to really reduce the pixel density, but unless I go ridiculously low, it still stays unplayable.

I must CPU bottlenecked in MP (the fact that DCS perf suffer so much from a few simple scripts is quite appalling, but it is not the conversation here). I wonder however if any of you manage to get decent performance, and acceptable visuals to play on those popular servers ? And if yes, what are your specks ? Could I profit from a perf increase in MP if I upgraded my CPU to a more modern AMD or Intel CPU ?

Here are my specs :

i7-7700k / MSI Z270-A

48Gb DDR4 G.Skills Ripjaws V 3200Mhz

Samsung Evo960 M.2 SSD

Gigabyte RTX3070Ti

HP Reverb G.2 ->

in SP I run OpenXR, 70% custom resolution, MSAA 2x, Texture High, the rest on low. And I have around 64Fps, I lock reprojection at 45fps, and almost never my FPS go bellow 45.

In MP I tried MSAA Off , texture low, down to 50% custom resolution, & I struggled to maintain 22.5fps ....

MP is tricky...it suffers from a multiple of issues, from heavy CPU to desync / poor sync and outright WTF is going on so helps if u describe your issue with more granularity.

With my specs (see signature) and a Varjo Aero HMD I get sometimes <20fps for short periods but mostly 30+ fps on the ground and 45+ in flight on the TAW server.  It stays fluid if >30fps.  De-sync /poor sync does happen in high density environment though and so picture will be jumpy when moving the head around in some part. It mostly happens when taxying and so while annoying it is liveable.

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

Yeah, it varies a lot. But back in the days (2019-2020) with my Cv1 & a GTX1070. Performance in MP were slightly worse than in SP. but no where such a big gap as it is today. I remember spending most of my DCS flying time on blue flag server. And I didn't readjust my settings in between playing SP&MP

I would set the openxr and DCS threads to different cores.  That will help a little...  but not a lot :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I'm not too far off from your specs and have been happy with performance on Enigmas on Syria. 9700kf (oc'd to 4.8), 64GB, 3090, using a G2.

Can you post screenshots of your DCS settings? Do you have your CPU overclocked? With DCS being so CPU-heavy, overclocking can make quite a difference.

OpenXR helped me a lot. I run it at 100% resolution, and locked at 30fps. Then I have any settings that mention having a CPU impact turned down. Like Forest/Scenery detail factors set to 0.2, MSAA off (helps it look better but any aliasing hurts spotting), cockpit global illumination off, etc.

A lesser known thing is also setting the ground clutter to a negative number. I mentioned that in the Enigma Discord and people reported gaining some fps. https://throughtheinferno.com/mod/remove-useless-ground-clutter-objects/

Reducing resolution, msaa and textures will mainly reduce load on your GPU so you will probably have to bring these down quite far to help your CPU (as you may have found) try reducing CPU settings such as shadows, heat blur and civ traffic. Also chimney smoke. 

Really take a look at those background apps in windows. Especially those things that startup. I have Adobe Photoshop and disabling all adobe apps and updaters really helped me claim some stability in DCS. Adobe runs and updates just fine without it. With a well trimmed PC I find most MP servers very close to SP performance. 

27 minutes ago, Munkwolf said:

I'm not too far off from your specs and have been happy with performance on Enigmas on Syria. 9700kf (oc'd to 4.8), 64GB, 3090, using a G2.

Can you post screenshots of your DCS settings? Do you have your CPU overclocked? With DCS being so CPU-heavy, overclocking can make quite a difference.

OpenXR helped me a lot. I run it at 100% resolution, and locked at 30fps. Then I have any settings that mention having a CPU impact turned down. Like Forest/Scenery detail factors set to 0.2, MSAA off (helps it look better but any aliasing hurts spotting), cockpit global illumination off, etc.

A lesser known thing is also setting the ground clutter to a negative number. I mentioned that in the Enigma Discord and people reported gaining some fps. https://throughtheinferno.com/mod/remove-useless-ground-clutter-objects/

nullHere are mysettings for SP .FOR MP,  I tried with MSAA off as well. it will help a bit but still not good enough. You say you are not far off, but a 3090 is still a good 20-30% better than a 3070Ti + more VRAM & Ram & better CPU.

my I7-7700K does not overclock very much at all & I tried anything, I am at 4.5Ghz can't get more.

Don't you find that all the fences & taxi line at airports etc 'sparkle' way too much with MSAA off ?

image.png

image.png

15 minutes ago, lucky-hendrix said:

nullHere are mysettings for SP .FOR MP,  I tried with MSAA off as well. it will help a bit but still not good enough. You say you are not far off, but a 3090 is still a good 20-30% better than a 3070Ti + more VRAM & Ram & better CPU.

my I7-7700K does not overclock very much at all & I tried anything, I am at 4.5Ghz can't get more.

Don't you find that all the fences & taxi line at airports etc 'sparkle' way too much with MSAA off ?

Yeah, 3090 is a bit better. The extra VRAM does help. We aren't far off on CPU though. With your specs you should be able to get it running alright.

I do get some sparkle/shimmer with MSAA off, but I've gotten used to it as the price for it being smoother. Also having aliasing off helps with spotting. Shimmer is not too bad at 100% render scale - probably a good amount of shimmer with MSAA off when you are running render scale at 70% though.

Your settings look ok for the most part, but a few recommendations for you to try:

OpenXR Toolkit - set reprojection to always on. In the OpenXR settings in-game, also try locking reprojection to 30fps. That should definitely smooth things out a bit.

DCS Settings - Try with visibility range to High or Medium. Range has a big impact on CPU, and Ultra is asking a lot. I run High, and used to run Medium before I switched to OpenXR. Also try setting ground clutter negative per https://throughtheinferno.com/mod/remove-useless-ground-clutter-objects/

Edited by Munkwolf

Also, I forgot to ask if you run your G2 at 90hz or 60hz? Running it at 60hz can help a lot. There can be a little bit of strobing at 60hz but it was worth it imo. I ran 60hz on my G2 before OpenXR helped enough where I bumped it back up to 90.

Edited by Munkwolf

1 hour ago, Munkwolf said:

Also, I forgot to ask if you run your G2 at 90hz or 60hz? Running it at 60hz can help a lot. There can be a little bit of strobing at 60hz but it was worth it imo. I ran 60hz on my G2 before OpenXR helped enough where I bumped it back up to 90.

The strobe effect is way too noticeable for me.

• Thanks 1

I just tried again, with same option as above +visib range at medium. On Enigma cold war server in a viggen. Frankly barely playable to unplayable. FPS mostly under 30fps, most of the time down to 18-15fps. So can't even keep the motion re-projection at 30fps. So much jaggies everywhere I couldn't discern contact if I wanted to. Plus turning head results in a very stuttery experience.

Again, afraid to repeat my self, but the gap between SP & MP is so great it is unbelievable . And it seems way worse compared to how DCS was 2years ago.

Frankly I don't known what other option I can reduce to have something playable, As I said before I went down to 50% Custom resolution, and it looked absolutely terrible, but even then it wasn't smooth ... I guess I'll have to stick to 'other WW2 sims' to have a possibility to play on public MP server.

Edited by lucky-hendrix

3 hours ago, lucky-hendrix said:

I just tried again, with same option as above +visib range at medium. On Enigma cold war server in a viggen. Frankly barely playable to unplayable. FPS mostly under 30fps, most of the time down to 18-15fps. So can't even keep the motion re-projection at 30fps. So much jaggies everywhere I couldn't discern contact if I wanted to. Plus turning head results in a very stuttery experience.

Again, afraid to repeat my self, but the gap between SP & MP is so great it is unbelievable . And it seems way worse compared to how DCS was 2years ago.

Frankly I don't known what other option I can reduce to have something playable, As I said before I went down to 50% Custom resolution, and it looked absolutely terrible, but even then it wasn't smooth ... I guess I'll have to stick to 'other WW2 sims' to have a possibility to play on public MP server.

Hmm, that's a bummer.. it feels like something else is going on though... I would think you'd have better frames than that with your hardware. There are people playing on enigmas with worse.

Windows HAGS is off?

DCS USB Hotplug option disabled?

Temps ok where there is no throttling going on?

Do you have the same issues on the hoggit training or gaw servers on caucasus?

Deleted DCS fxo and metashader folder contents recently?

I personally don't see a huge gap between SP & MP, unless the server is full or there is something heavy going on (like when the bombers drop on the industrial targets on enigmas).

Edited by Munkwolf
  • Thanks 1

Yeah other than that visibility range it looks good so there has to be something else going on...  I mean MP is certainly a bit slower...  but not a ton.

Maybe make sure your network card drivers are up to date (some software NIC's use a ton of CPU), set core affinity or take a look at the CPU and what's actually happening when you're in MP.  Turn off AV software just in case it's being a dork...

All the settings mentioned by MunkWolf...'

I'd bet it's throttling somewhere...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

18 hours ago, Munkwolf said:

Hmm, that's a bummer.. it feels like something else is going on though... I would think you'd have better frames than that with your hardware. There are people playing on enigmas with worse.

Windows HAGS is off?

DCS USB Hotplug option disabled?

Temps ok where there is no throttling going on?

Do you have the same issues on the hoggit training or gaw servers on caucasus?

Deleted DCS fxo and metashader folder contents recently?

I personally don't see a huge gap between SP & MP, unless the server is full or there is something heavy going on (like when the bombers drop on the industrial targets on enigmas).

Thanks a lot for the input , I appreciate it !

DCS USB Hotplug option disabled? -> It wasn't and now is, no major change

Temps ok where there is no throttling going on? -> Checked with MSI afterburner all under 85°C

Deleted DCS fxo and metashader folder contents recently? -> I did now, no changes

Do you have the same issues on the hoggit training or gaw servers on caucasus? -> Actualy, no , it is much better on Hoggit Training, there were 24ppl online, it was playable, mostly above 30fps, sometimes dipped under, but not for long, 4YA, or enigma, impossible to make it work ...

So it might only be very heavy servers, or Syria, or both

IMHO until Hyper-threading will be implemented in mp serwers flying with SHADOWS/TERRAIN SHADOWS set OFF keep my fps always above 45fps in Apache, so im happy. 

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

Ok so your cpu is maxed @ 4.5ghz. What is your highest mhz your gpu can hold at the cool temperatures. You may try to look into undervolting your 3070ti to get the highest clock speed/mhz with a lower temperature. For example my 3090 was pushing alittle over 1 volt at @ 1935mhz and temps sitting at 72-76c. I was able to feed it 875mv at 1935mhz and the temps underload/dcs came down to 62-68c with lower gpu fan rpms. I noticed that everytime the gpu gets to a certain high temp the frequency drops and thats when the stuttering and loss of fps happens. You may have to turn up your fans, all of them to get the temps right and steady gpu mhz. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020