Hardware requirements for VR on Quest 2?

Logic

Hello, first of all I'm not even playing DCS yet, but do have experience with other sims and slowly starting to envision long term plans of getting into DCS + VR.

My plans for headset have rapidly been converging to the Oculus/Meta Quest 2.
One reason being that it can also be used stand-alone for games attractive for the family.

(but for DCS I'll have to use the link cable, I know that). 
(Feel free to tell me if you think I'm doing something completely stupid with that choice)

My current hardware is fairly dated:
CPU i5-6500 @3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM
GPU GTX 1050 Ti,

so one of my plans is to grab a used GTX 1080 Ti but leave the rest of the system unchanged.
Getting any more recent higher performance card wouldn't make much sense as it would trigger replacement for all other system components.

What would my DCS VR experience look like with this setup?
Barely playable or enjoyable at reasonable settings and framerates?
Would the overall system be CPU or GPU limited?
Will I be able to play multiplayer with this?

Honestly - going to be pretty weak for VR, especially DCS in VR. The whole system is pretty limited for VR. 

If your family will make use of a Quest 2 in stand alone, you can get it for them and give it a try - but I would not hope for much as far as using it with your PC.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I ran a RiftS on an I5-6500 and a 1070 with a pd of 1.0 , msaa x2 , shadows on , water high , civil traffic low and trees at 70% . This in singleplayer , and i had no problem maintaining 40 fps with ASW on down low in the Hornet , L-39 , Huey or Tf-51 . I did upgrade to 32mb of ram before going vr tho (original Rift) .

Extrapolate from this what you will for a 6500 , 1080ti and a Quest 2 running at 36 frames with ASW . 

I do think a G2 might be advantageous , as it would allow running at 30 frames with motion smoothing , albeit with no option for stand-alone use .

Forget multiplayer with a 6500 and vr . Not gonna happen .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

You VR experience will need some compromise, for sure, but like everyone else you'll have some compromises to decide on.. A 1080 TI should run DCS smoothly as long as you are not to greedy when it comes to eye candy. I had a good first VR experience running DCS on a 1070. 

If you have DCS on Steam, I recommend  launching the game with oculusVR rather than SteamVR. Leave your Quest 2 parameters on default or recommended resolutions and frequency in oculus software, start from a Low DCS graphic configuration and slowly increase the quality one paramater at the time. Check the framerate impact for each parameter, and always choose smoothness and FPS over eyecandy. Otherwise you'll get sick and you don't want the VR experience looking like a powerpoint slideshow.