Huey and Warthog Throttle

DishDoggie

I posted this in the Thrustmaster section to but want it here as well because it is about the Huey

just went from a X56 Rhino to a New Warthog HOTAS My X56 Throttle when used for flying the Huey had a way different through range. What I am trying to figure out if I move my X56 Throttle 25% from Zero I had the start of a lift off as the Huey will just start to get lift to make the Huey move left or right depending on how much or less rudder input you are giving. So the Ship is now So Light you know liftoff will be starting with the next slow amount of collective given. SOOO with the Warthog Throttle I have to put WAY More Throw to get to this point. 25% on the X56 and 70 or 75% on the Warthog then this gives you all of the rest of the % left for all your flying needs. For the life of me It makes no sense. The even stranger thing is the first 75% move shows up in game on the Collective yet with the other X56 it di to but the rang of use was more natural. The X56 Throttle can be a pain in that it will cause system problems and in game malfunctions if you do not hook it up and the way it want to be. The Joystick is good but doesn't have the precision the Warthog gives. So I am New to the Thrustmaster gear If you use the same Warthog Throttle and fly the Huey tell me if yours works like this too. For planes it works like it should just like the X56 did for a plane. Huey in a Inverted state so Pushed forward is input - and lift up or pull back toward you is input + Sad to say I feel like for input the Warthog Throttle is not a good Huey Throttle It is a Wonderful Plane Throttle without a problem.

Huey Pilots please give me input. Thank You

On 6/1/2022 at 7:34 PM, DishDoggie said:

I posted this in the Thrustmaster section to but want it here as well because it is about the Huey

just went from a X56 Rhino to a New Warthog HOTAS My X56 Throttle when used for flying the Huey had a way different through range. What I am trying to figure out if I move my X56 Throttle 25% from Zero I had the start of a lift off as the Huey will just start to get lift to make the Huey move left or right depending on how much or less rudder input you are giving. So the Ship is now So Light you know liftoff will be starting with the next slow amount of collective given. SOOO with the Warthog Throttle I have to put WAY More Throw to get to this point. 25% on the X56 and 70 or 75% on the Warthog then this gives you all of the rest of the % left for all your flying needs. For the life of me It makes no sense. The even stranger thing is the first 75% move shows up in game on the Collective yet with the other X56 it di to but the rang of use was more natural. The X56 Throttle can be a pain in that it will cause system problems and in game malfunctions if you do not hook it up and the way it want to be. The Joystick is good but doesn't have the precision the Warthog gives. So I am New to the Thrustmaster gear If you use the same Warthog Throttle and fly the Huey tell me if yours works like this too. For planes it works like it should just like the X56 did for a plane. Huey in a Inverted state so Pushed forward is input - and lift up or pull back toward you is input + Sad to say I feel like for input the Warthog Throttle is not a good Huey Throttle It is a Wonderful Plane Throttle without a problem.

Huey Pilots please give me input. Thank You

You can change how steeply the input ramps up in the axis editor in DCS so it fits your preference. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 12:29 PM, mcnabb100 said:

You can change how steeply the input ramps up in the axis editor in DCS so it fits your preference. 

Thanks I will Try that but I am new to the Thrustmaster ownership and 2 days ago I just realized My Brand NEW Warthog Throttle is Defective. It has 5 LED lights that should light up when the Throttle is moved. Mine are not working no matter how far you move it forward, Maybe something else is not operating correctly so I have a Ticket in with Thrustmaster as it is under Warranty and it is Brand New and it is Defective.

The curves are a good idea. Otherwise It is just something to get used to, as  real pilots do. Different controllers have different feels.  BTW in real aircraft controls feel different. Its just a thing real pilots deal with and so can you. Apart from real airframes I have  multiple PCs and flight rigs at my place, (Warthog on one virpil on another), just fly through it.

Edited by Los
  • Like 2

On 6/6/2022 at 5:57 PM, DishDoggie said:

Thanks I will Try that but I am new to the Thrustmaster ownership and 2 days ago I just realized My Brand NEW Warthog Throttle is Defective. It has 5 LED lights that should light up when the Throttle is moved. Mine are not working no matter how far you move it forward, Maybe something else is not operating correctly so I have a Ticket in with Thrustmaster as it is under Warranty and it is Brand New and it is Defective.

Isn´t that something that has to be programmed with TARGET ? The LEDs on my Warthog never light up (I don´t use TARGET). I don´t think they light up by default.
Regarding your problem: Do the movements of your throttle line up with the collective in cockpit ?
I´d say as long as the collective in cockpit moves with your throttle inputs, it´s working as intended.

For me, the Warthog works fine as collective, but I never used anything else, so I can´t compare...

For reference, this is my setting (I only use the right throttle as collective)

image.png

3 hours ago, Eugel said:

Isn´t that something that has to be programmed with TARGET ? The LEDs on my Warthog never light up (I don´t use TARGET). I don´t think they light up by default.
Regarding your problem: Do the movements of your throttle line up with the collective in cockpit ?
I´d say as long as the collective in cockpit moves with your throttle inputs, it´s working as intended.

For me, the Warthog works fine as collective, but I never used anything else, so I can´t compare...

For reference, this is my setting (I only use the right throttle as collective)

Yes The Collective does move with the Cockpit collective stick my X 56 Rhino Throttle had twice the movement at takeoff lift giving me far more input control then the Thrustmaster and Thank you

My settings are just like yours. I really appreciate the info on the Throttle lights as I am not using TARGET and had no Idea they only work with that software. So if I pull the throttle back towards me to the point of my nose just starts to spin move from torque I then only have 1 1/8 " of throw in the stick for usable control that makes the Huey liftoff and set down I have also did this with both side of the throttle sticks left and right and they both act the same.

Thank You Very much for your help I do feel better about the lights now. I just need to work with the amount of input throw to get use to it. 

Hi, wanted to throw my 2cents in 🙂 just to try and save anyone going through what I did.

The trick to really precise helicopter flying is using controllers that have absolutely no stiction (both for collective and cyclic), which is unfortunately very very hard to find in an off-the-shelf form without modifying it. A lot of the heli input movements needed to keep it stable are tiny. 

The warthog will work (i have one too) but if it's like mine out of the box, it won't allow you to move the throttles or stick smoothly in tiny 1mm per second increments (it will stick/grab). You'll probably need to try clean/regrease it with something like Nyogel, but even that doesn't totally remove the sticking on this throttle.

For throttle or collective - The best results I've had so far is to find a way to modify/build something so it has two large-ish diameter smooth steel washers making contact / twisting against each other, and applying a tiny bit of grease between them, and this usually works well for a couple of years or more. However, with one surface being plastic, or plastic against plastic, even Nyogel becomes grippy after several months, but it feels great initially.

Worth noting if using the warthog joystick and decide to remove the centering spring - it has a firmware centre deadzone of several degrees that can't be totally removed even though the installed software setting says it's set at zero

Edited by Dogmanbird
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As of now I have this setting for the Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Throttle setting to fly a Helicopter in this case the UH-1 Huey.

This gives me more of a full range of movement from the stock setting in game. (AXIS tune not set) I would have to move the Throttle up 75% of its movement distant to just Start to get lift off leaving me with a very small range of use. With the new settings I move the Throttle maybe 1" and almost instantly get the very start of lift effect giving more range of use and better control. I will more then likely still change this a little more to my liking but I feel it is FAR better then the stock game movement range if AXIS Tune is left untweaked.

image.jpeg

Edited by DishDoggie

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2022 at 5:57 PM, DishDoggie said:

It has 5 LED lights that should light up when the Throttle is moved. 

If that's true, that's the first I hear about it, and I own it for a while.

You can toggle the LEDs, but auto light up based on deflection? Of which axis?

Good luck with your curves!

I'm going to continue flying without them. 😉

Edited by Xupicor
  • Like 1
  • Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)

1 hour ago, Xupicor said:

If that's true, that's the first I hear about it, and I own it for a while.

You can toggle the LEDs, but auto light up based on deflection? Of which axis?

Good luck with your curves!

I'm going to continue flying without them. 😉

I was Wrong about the 5 lights they do not light up like that.  I have stopped using the THRUSTMASTER for Helicopters only for fixed wing now. It works fine with no Curves for fixed wings. 

Fair enough. I'm using it for helicopters with little to no issue. Standard spring is quite soft with a 20cm extension, works good enough. (I don't notice any baked in center deadzone? With the stick centered I can make tiny movements and they are registered... Maybe the new firmware took care of that? Certainly a couple of degrees deadzone would be plenty noticeable with an extension...) The upgrade I'm aiming at now is not a more precise base (though I've considered it) but rather FFB setup.

As for the throttle, I use it for the collective, no curves, works great, what was your gripe with it again? Just the curves? What you miss here is that effective translational lift will make you use the part of the curve which is below stationary ground-effect hover position of the collective (on approaches at least) and with your curve you're squeezing that segment, especially with a light loadout. Still, curves are a personal preference, so go ahead with what works for you. 

• Like 1
  • Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)