ED, please copy the JTAC 9-line brief to the kneeboard

nickos86

Hi ED,

For VR and for general realism proposes - could you please make the 9-line given by the JTAC to appear in the kneeboard? Just a real pilot would write it down on it's kneeboard - so that the same practice would be implemented in game... 

Thanks!  

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, nickos86 said:

Hi ED,

For VR and for general realism proposes - could you please make the 9-line given by the JTAC to appear in the kneeboard? Just a real pilot would write it down on it's kneeboard - so that the same practice would be implemented in game... 

Thanks!  

This would indeed be a very helpful feature (requested many times here already)

In the meanwhile, until ED finds time to add this to DCS core; just in case you didn't know, these options might be helpful for you:

1. A few updates ago, ED added a radio history feature, so you can read back all that has been said. If you press escape while ingame, you'll see the option there (unfortunately this pauses the game and might require you to switch back and forth a few times in order to enter all data in your aircraft systems)
  2. Voice Attack VAICOM has the kneeboard extension. Among other features, it'll also automatically write down everything that is said over the radio (exactly like you're asking for in your OP). Although personally I think it's worth the few bucks, this is a payware addon.

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

6 ore fa, nickos86 ha scritto:

Hi ED,

Thanks!  

You can have any image as a kneeboard page by putting it into the "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Kneeboard" folder (That's for caucasus map, you can do the same for any other map). Just remember it has to be 800X1200px.

Another kneeboard page we should have by default is the list of NATO RWR Threats for NATO aircraft, so we know what's actually locking us from the RWR.

Anyway, you can download a RWR threats page from here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/it/files/3308041/

And a 9line page from here

One thing we could use is the ability to actually write stuff on our kneeboard, that's expecially useful in VR.

Cheers.

Edited by 𝓥𝓲𝓵𝓮

15 minutes ago, 𝓥𝓲𝓵𝓮 said:

You can have any image as a kneeboard page by putting it into the "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Kneeboard" folder (That's for caucasus map, you can do the same for any other map). Just remember it has to be 800X1200px.

Another kneeboard page we should have by default is the list of NATO RWR Threats for NATO aircraft, so we know what's actually locking us from the RWR.

Anyway, you can download a RWR threats page from here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/it/files/3308041/

And a 9line page from here

One thing we could use is the ability to actually write stuff on our kneeboard, that's expecially useful in VR.

Cheers.

It seems you didn't understand the OP's wish

We all know we can create custom kneeboard pages, that's not the point here. @nickos86 and many other including me are saying that it would be convenient in use if a dedicated kneeboard page was included in DCS core, that would automatically add 9-line information (or other radio comms) without us having to try and scribble something on a piece of paper or attempting to blindly type on our keyboard while having a VR headset on our noses.

Actually, the only thing we would need, is for this radio message history text:

image.png

to be automatically copied to our ingame kneeboard..

(this feature has been wish for approximately 73642 times on this forum)

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

8 ore fa, sirrah ha scritto:

It seems you didn't understand the OP's wish

We all know we can create custom kneeboard pages, that's not the point here. @nickos86 and many other including me are saying that it would be convenient in use if a dedicated kneeboard page was included in DCS core, that would automatically add 9-line information (or other radio comms) without us having to try and scribble something on a piece of paper or attempting to blindly type on our keyboard while having a VR headset on our noses.

Actually, the only thing we would need, is for this radio message history text:

image.png

to be automatically copied to our ingame kneeboard..

(this feature has been wish for approximately 73642 times on this forum)

Oh, i see. That would indeed be cool, albeit at least in VR i would rather write everything on my knee board by myself, using the controllers as a pen maybe

5 hours ago, 𝓥𝓲𝓵𝓮 said:

Oh, i see. That would indeed be cool, albeit at least in VR i would rather write everything on my knee board by myself, using the controllers as a pen maybe

I think that probably most people are not skilled enough with the VR controllers to use them for small and fast handwriting (I know I'm not 😅). Very well possible that most DCS users don't even use them at all, as they don't mix very well with HOTAS. But hey, I could be wrong about that 🙂

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

2 ore fa, sirrah ha scritto:

I think that probably most people are not skilled enough with the VR controllers to use them for small and fast handwriting (I know I'm not 😅). Very well possible that most DCS users don't even use them at all, as they don't mix very well with HOTAS. But hey, I could be wrong about that 🙂

I use a real flight stick with my right hand and an oculus controller with my left, so I can grab the virtual throttle inside the cockpit with the controller to adjust the throttle as i need. This allows me to use my left controller for in cockpit switches and buttons when i'm not gripping the throttle. It's a really immersive way of doing things, altho I don't get the real feedback I would from a real throttle lever.

Anyway, I also keep my right controller hanging from the right side of my chair so I can use both virtual hands during the startup procedure, so to me it's not an issue to let go of my real stick, grab the right controller and write something with it.

+1.  It would be very handy if the entire (or the last x number of messages) "radio history" could be duplicated to the kneeboard, and while we're at it, duplicate the briefing information as well.  i often find it necessary to reference this information in-mission, and it would be much easier and less immersion-breaking to get it from the kneeboard than having to ESC in and out and use the mouse in the main menu.

Edited by Hippo
  • Like 2

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Can we get feedback from ED on this topic ?

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits