Next VR Upgrade from G2

C3PO

Hi - considering upgrading my G2 to a newer unit. Ideally, I'd love a G3 if such a thing every appears with a wider FOV as I've been delighted with the G2 generally. Been looking at the Pimax 8X ... are these worth moving to? The base stations additional cost and hassle is a bit of a negative for me.

• Like 1

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

What else are you considering?   I have the Varjo Aero and very wide sweet spot is massively useful for spotting...miles better than G2.  Clarity is also brillant but FOV is similar.  I would not go back to the G2 now but if FOV is what u r after then look elswhere.  

• Like 1

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

I would take the Varjo over that huge neck breaking Pimax. I’m hoping by the end of the year to strap on the Varjo ! 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I'm hanging in there for a G3....  (A lot to invest for the Varjo infra, if you don't have the appropriate hand me downs). 

• Like 4

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I’m looking for a wide FOV G3 too, that would absolutely be the way to go in my view and I’m not alone:

I believe the FOV on the Pima is excellent but I think many other aspects are a compromise from what I understand. 

• Like 1

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Interesting question this.

I'm "still" using a Reverb G1 (as imho the step towards a G2 didn't justify the costs). It's mainly the limited fov that I'd really like to see increased, but apart from Pimax, this doesn't seem to be high on the developers agendas (or maybe it's just not realistically possible yet without degradation of resolution, SDE, etc.. I really don't know).

Anyone here that used both the Pimax 8k and Varjo for DCS?

I can imagine that the large fov on the Pimax creates a much better feel/sense of speed (especially when flying close to the ground), but perhaps I'm overestimating this?

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

About the only option currently for a little wider FOV other than Pimax (much wider FOV) would be the Vive Pro 2. It too however comes with the high cost of needing the base stations and controllers.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Guys, do you know something about this Refreshed version of HP G2? It was annoucement long time ago, last summer I suppose. Till now no any news about it or I missed something. It was supposed to be revised G2 version, something like 2.5, not G3 (FOV, res.the same). They talked about new gaskets, better tracking (new cameras) and better cable (again). Its quiet about it now.

Or maybe they decided to add it to G3 finally if still no this new, revised version of G2? 🤪

Do you know something about it?

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I don't, but I'm happy with my G2 for the time being. My current rig is about at the top of its capabilities anyway, so in the end, I have many upgrades coming (CPU+mobo+DDR4 or 5 memory) before I'm going to be considering another headset. So, I'd rather wait for G3 or maybe some other next generation offering. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YoYo said:

Guys, do you know something about this Refreshed version of HP G2? It was annoucement long time ago, last summer I suppose. Till now no any news about it or I missed something. It was supposed to be revised G2 version, something like 2.5, not G3 (FOV, res.the same). They talked about new gaskets, better tracking (new cameras) and better cable (again). Its quiet about it now.

Or maybe they decided to add it to G3 finally if still no this new, revised version of G2? 🤪

Do you know something about it?

This was the announcement, Systemactive the HP G2 resellers in the UK have advertised having these available for some time.

https://press.hp.com/us/en/blogs/2021/award-winning-hp-reverb-g2-vr-better.html

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

33 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

This was the announcement, Systemactive the HP G2 resellers in the UK have advertised having these available for some time.

https://press.hp.com/us/en/blogs/2021/award-winning-hp-reverb-g2-vr-better.html

Thx. yes, it was this.

HP Reverb G2 Key Updates:

• Improved Controller Tracking: Get improved tracking below the waist with 30% more vertical area coverage1.

* Increased vertical tracking coverage will also be included on the HP Reverb G2 Omnicept Edition2.

• Cable: Updated 6M cable for increased compatibility with AMD systems, resolving connection issues2
  • Face Gasket: New design enables eye relief to be set to either 9mm or 15mm, enabling users to better dial into their visual sweet spot2.

Can someone confirm that have it (2 gaskets inside etc - if not you havent  the new revision of G2v)?

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Yes, the G3 would be my ideal upgrade ... 

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

On 6/3/2022 at 12:34 PM, sirrah said:

Anyone here that used both the Pimax 8k and Varjo for DCS?

I can imagine that the large fov on the Pimax creates a much better feel/sense of speed (especially when flying close to the ground), but perhaps I'm overestimating this?

I (still) have Reverb G1, Pimax 8KX and Varjo Aero.

Befor I got the 8KX I was dure that the wide FOV was king. But a Oc 9900KS/RTX3090 etc do not have enough power to drive the 8KX in DCS with my reference for settings. The swrtings needs to be tuned diwn too much.

Also, the pixels per degree is not that high on 8KX. 8KX has good resolution (as in the number of pixels) but as these are used for a huge FOV, the resulotion per degree or the sensed resulotion for the eye is not very high.

The Reverb G1 has higher ”density” of pixels and the cockpit screens etc is clear enough in G1 but not in the 8KX for my standards. I have had the 8KX for over 18 months but only used them about 10 hours.

8KX Is good for Half Life Alyx, racing games etc but not for DCS as i see it.

I did always use G1 since O found the 8KX ”useless” in DCS. With DCS in dog fights etc I more or less did loose snt time as the quality was not good enough. With G1 I have very good kill rate. 

Varjo Aero is very sharp, the small FOV was anoying initially( being used to 8KX and G1), but after some time I got used to that.

I only really miss reprojection in the Aeros, otherwise they are really good.

But somehow I also can not stop thinking how good the G1 (and G2) is.”, specially if you think about the pricing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

23 minutes ago, Gunnars Driver said:

I (still) have Reverb G1, Pimax 8KX and Varjo Aero.

Befor I got the 8KX I was dure that the wide FOV was king. But a Oc 9900KS/RTX3090 etc do not have enough power to drive the 8KX in DCS with my reference for settings. The swrtings needs to be tuned diwn too much.

Also, the pixels per degree is not that high on 8KX. 8KX has good resolution (as in the number of pixels) but as these are used for a huge FOV, the resulotion per degree or the sensed resulotion for the eye is not very high.

The Reverb G1 has higher ”density” of pixels and the cockpit screens etc is clear enough in G1 but not in the 8KX for my standards. I have had the 8KX for over 18 months but only used them about 10 hours.

8KX Is good for Half Life Alyx, racing games etc but not for DCS as i see it.

I did always use G1 since O found the 8KX ”useless” in DCS. With DCS in dog fights etc I more or less did loose snt time as the quality was not good enough. With G1 I have very good kill rate. 

Varjo Aero is very sharp, the small FOV was anoying initially( being used to 8KX and G1), but after some time I got used to that.

I only really miss reprojection in the Aeros, otherwise they are really good.

But somehow I also can not stop thinking how good the G1 (and G2) is.”, specially if you think about the pricing.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Very helpful 👍

Negative points aside, is it true that the wide fov of the Pimax increases sense of speed? Especially for racing games I'd expect seeing stuff fly past in the corners of your eye, adds to the feeling of going fast. But is that expectation correct, or am I overestimating it?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

IMHO currently best upgrade from Reverb G2 would be Vive Pro 2. Unless wanted to swing the bucks for the Aero.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

9 hours ago, YoYo said:

Thx. yes, it was this.

Can someone confirm that have it (2 gaskets inside etc - if not you havent  the new revision of G2v)?

I guess I got one G2 Gen2, out since March this year main difference being the facegasket and the newer AMD-compatible cable.

Having an all AMD-system compatibility is good. Had lots of problems with a RiftS and G1. Now I have maybe only occasional problems when starting WMR. But I guess only if I start WMR too fast after bootup.

The gasket gives a clearly better FOV, but still quite a bit less than the Index. I removed the spacer right away and never have tried it again since. 

Being critical of VR in DCS for a long time, the G2 with OpenXR for me finally made VR have more pros than cons compared to TrackIR/monitor. Still using both though.

If I could make a wish for the G3 features, Id like an Index-FOV with a larger sweetspot. Id be ok with the rest staying the same.

Not gonna buy an Aero since they dont support AMD. VivePro2 seems a too small step for me right now. 

With the G2 right now I guess I can live quite well for the forthcoming time feeling no need to upgrade.

Edited by Wali763
  • Like 1

Good to hear it, so its true. Thx for info.

Id like to know that its possible to buy this new gasked? 

I use this (mod: https://www.etsy.com/pl/shop/DanolsDesigns) from a year, 0,5cm and its cool thing, I dont want to back to orginal one, the sweet spot is bigger near 1,5x

http://yoyosims.pl/sites/default/files/Obrazki/WMR/nakladkag2_4.jpg

http://yoyosims.pl/sites/default/files/Obrazki/WMR/nakladkag2_3m.jpg

However I like this orginal the sponge which touches the face, it has quite good "breathing" properties.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

Thanks for sharing your experience! Very helpful 👍

Negative points aside, is it true that the wide fov of the Pimax increases sense of speed? Especially for racing games I'd expect seeing stuff fly past in the corners of your eye, adds to the feeling of going fast. But is that expectation correct, or am I overestimating it?

Yes, it is kind’a true.

Better feel of speed in car games but also in DCS at low altitude. 

First impression was for some parts ’Waow” but it did not last so long.

The vertical FOV is not that big in the extended part of the view, compared to normal FOV VR sets. 
Also, the sharpness is not good in that part I think. 8KX has a quite good/big sweet spot in the normal FOV part though.

I hardly see any big difference between the wide FOV and the medium(150degree) FOV because of this.

I would like to have the FOV of the 8KX with the sharpness and pixel density of the Varjo Aero and at the same time the good fps flow of the Reverb.

But this wont be possible with the curremt graphics cards.

Until that is possible, I will select high pixel density and sharp picture.

I rank Varjo Aero way higher than 8KX for DCS, and also the reverb as way more playable than 8KX for DCS.

I am about to sell the 8KX because I do not think I ever will use them. 
Of course there is other people with other thoughts about 8KX. 

• Thanks 1

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

2 hours ago, dburne said:

IMHO currently best upgrade from Reverb G2 would be Vive Pro 2. Unless wanted to swing the bucks for the Aero.

I have the vive pro2, for several months now and went back to the G2…….I did not find it much of an upgrade….and with the new OXRT , the G2 is awesome. I use the VP2 on my sim racing rig, rather than DCS……..

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

16 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

I have the vive pro2, for several months now and went back to the G2…….I did not find it much of an upgrade….and with the new OXRT , the G2 is awesome. I use the VP2 on my sim racing rig, rather than DCS……..

Interesting I too went from Reverb G2 to Vive Pro 2 and I really liked the Vive Pro 2 especially with the wider FOV. If I did not have the Aero now I would still be using the Vive Pro 2.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

On 6/4/2022 at 10:09 PM, dburne said:

Interesting I too went from Reverb G2 to Vive Pro 2 and I really liked the Vive Pro 2 especially with the wider FOV. If I did not have the Aero now I would still be using the Vive Pro 2.

Interesting, how did you find the FPS of the Vive Pro 2 v G2?

On 6/4/2022 at 9:53 PM, markturner1960 said:

Hi,

What is OXRT?

Open XR tools, see here: 

Do you know, I cant remember exactly why I swapped back...! Possibly because the mic and audio were better in the G2, plus, you can run it with the Open XR runtime.....

• Thanks 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

2 hours ago, C3PO said:

Interesting, how did you find the FPS of the Vive Pro 2 v G2?

Pretty similar, maybe Vive Pro 2 a little less in that department.

• Like 1

Don B