Monitor choice

Hi all,

Here I am completing my rig I've been assembling for two years or so.

So far, I have all the pieces of the computer, with a Ryzen 5800X, a Radeon RX6900XT, 32 GB of RAM (3200MHz CL16) and a 2TB M.2 PCIe3 disc (only one for Windows and games, but there is another one plus a HDD on its way for productivity, in Linux). I also have the controllers, bus still lacking a serious monitor. So far I've been using my old working laptop with an LG 25 inch UW display hooked. It's smallish and slow so I'm definitely planning on a larger monitor.

I am hesitating between a 32 inch 16:9 one for more vertical space and general real estate (probably an LG 32GP850-B or a Gigabyte M32Q) or a 34 inch ultrawide (possibly the Huawei MateView GT or a Gigabyte M34WQ, or a LG 34WN750-B). I'm told ultrawide is a transformative experience and for work it may be a great addition, but how about immersion in DCS? Should I rather seek more vertical space for cockpit and vertical scanning in dogfights?

Thqnks for advice.

11 minutes ago, Delta-canard said:

I am hesitating between a 32 inch 16:9 one for more vertical space and general real estate (probably an LG 32GP850-B or a Gigabyte M32Q) or a 34 inch ultrawide

Here you can see what you can expect in terms of FOV with each resolution:

https://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?5011-21-9-vs-16-9-Monitors&s=cb443a9ee7d4af88682ea6466971aca2&p=56184&viewfull=1#post56184

I went with an ultrawide, but didn't really like the results in practice, as I told here:

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

OK well since I posted that I bought a new desk. Got bought a 3090 and found a 43" 4k TV that is actually an IPS screen that does an excellent job with DCS.

I can tell you that a 32" monitor, has more vertical space than a 34". The ultrawide 34" is nice and fancy buy you have to use the cockpit zoom function to take advantage of the wider aspect ratio. An ultrawide monitor is actually much shorter than a 32" 16:9, it is obviously slightly wider.

For me personally I wasn't happy with it really, adjusting the zoom got on my nerves after a while. I prefer 16:9. That is a personal choice, as I wasn't sure I bought my ultrawide used off eBay, it was back on and sold a month later. Some DCS users love ultrawide though so keep that in mind.

I can tell you that if you hook up your AMD 6900xt to a proper Freesync monitor you can use the "target framerate control" in Radeon. Its really good for keeping your frames stable.

Oh well. I didn'r really consider 4k as out of my budget but now I'm thinking of it.

Basically, this means either the BenQ PD3200U, apparently a great monitor for productivity with outstanding colour accuracy, however it doesn't support FreeSync and, more importantly, stretches my budget by another 200 € at least; or one of the LGs, 32UN650 or 32UN880. The mount seems to be the main difference. They are more affordable but have less precise colours. Is the benefit from 4k worth the compromises in price, colour or framerate?

So, I still dont't know what to buy but here's my understanding:

32 inch 16:9 has advantage in surface, vertical FOV, prince, in-game support; it's better in dogfight. Its drawbacks are horizontal FOV and pixel density

34 inch 21:9 gives better horizontal FOV, looks fancy and is transformative for some poeople, might be better for productivity as it allows for three full windows in a row; might be better during refueling and landing because of peripheral vision. As drawbacks, it's pricier at equivalent specs, has less vertical FOV and actual real estate.

Also, I've been thinking of stacking a future big 34 inch ultrawide and my existing small 25 inch ultrawide and stitching them together in a multi-monitor setup (basically, when looking traight ahead, the smaller screen would be showing the instruments panel). But I'm reluctant at making my life that complicated.

OK 4k looks gorgeous in DCS, really gorgeous. Things like the Tpod screen look fantastic. However there is an almighty drawback, thats spotting in a dogfight. I get canned in the multi player servers because I simply cant see the other guy. Also dont underestimate the graphics power required for 4k, it finds the edges of my 3090! thats on water! If you go 4k I would heavily advise you make sure it has Freesync, if you want 32" something like the Viewsonic VX3211 4k

1440p is the simplest solution and the best balance of dogfight spotting and cockpit/terrain visual candy. Again it would benefit from Freesync.

Then you have 3440x1440 ultrawide on a 34" panel. The extra wide viewing space is only there if you "zoom out" on the cockpit view. There are some visual guides on here and elsewhere that shoe the problem. Its not a problem either just more of an inconvenience.

A monitor is a very personal choice mate. A 32" 1440p Freesync monitor will give you a great DCS experience and be the simplest plug and play option.

Its my opinion but a 32" 4k monitor, you wont see to dogfight without the "guide target dots" to help you. I use 4k but its on a 43" TV. Its great I love it but get a cheaper TV like a Hisense or similar for this. Only go for 4k if its on a bigger screen.

An ultrawide will look great and probably come with Freesync as standard. You will have to zoom out slightly when the mission has loaded to get the full effect. Unless this has changed in the last year or so from an update to the view options.

Ive never done multi monitor as it always seemed like a headache, so cant comment on that.

FWIW, I used to play on a PD3200U. Fantastic monitor! For productivity... Still have it hooked up to my primary Linux workstation, Like it so much I bought one for my wife as well. There's nothing wrong with it as a DCS monitor but it was not great either (tearing).

Get a gaming monitor is my reco. Something with higher refresh and [f,g]sync so you have more options. There are decent ones with good colours out there. It doesn't have to be photo-retouch accurate. It's a game, between the semi-borked lighting in DCS and screwing around with the gamma it's not something I'd be super concerned with as long as you buy something with decent colour.

I'm playing on a 43" 4K TV now... I find it too big (physically) with TrackIR. I'm thinking about something x1600 or x1440. Haven't decided if I want to wide screen or not. In that thread linked above I like the view of the 1920x1200 for the extra vertical height. Maybe 3480x1600 is where I should be looking.

$0.02

Edited by reece146

I agree with Bossco82.

I went through an odyssey over a year ago when replacing my old monitor (1080P LG 32ML600M-B), and tried a bunch of PC monitors and TVs to make sure I got what I really wanted.

Tried ultrawides again after nearly a decade, both 21:9 and 32:9 formats and, must say, it still feels like it really is an acquired taste - you either love it or hate it.
For me, after those initial moments impressed with "oh you can really see more to the sides when in cockpit!", it just ends up feeling like someone has chopped off the top of the screen. No bueno. The vertical depth is lost (IMO) and in reality it just doesn't work as good as 16:9, which for me is still the perfect format.

Once the format was decided (16:9), it came down to the resolution and screen size...

Tested a bunch of stuff and my own results were that the best compromise is 1440P (2560x1440) on a 32'' screen size of 16:9 format. It really is the "sweet spot".
1440P can be driven in games at high details without overwhelming the GPU, image quality is good, and at that 32'' size it feels "big without being too big".

For me the best image and "immersion" is 4K (3840x2160) on a 43'' screen size, or bigger if you can distance yourself a bit from the screen.
The 4K image quality on such big screens is something that makes you pause, because the clarity and scale of objects become "like real life size" (F14 cockpit visual checking is orgasmic). Once you've taste and savour it, nothing else is as good.
But there is one big problem - that 4K resolution pushes the GPU a lot harder, and you always have to sacrifice details to keep lower GPU usage and high framerate, something that I never felt was a problem with 1440P. This, unfortunately, is the deal breaker for many that consider 4K screens.

At some point I got an outstanding deal that was just too good to pass, on a 55'' 4K curved screen TV with Freesync (Samsung NU8500). It's trully amazing but, over a year later it still feels way too big at times. I'm currently looking to sell it and, maybe, get a good 43'' 4K screen. 

Freesync is a very welcome feature but, as much as I like it and vouch for it, I'm not sure I would consider it a deal breaker if a really good deal comes up for a screen without it. 
Same thing for high refresh rate, especially if it's for intensive sim/games like DCS, because maintaining things at 60+FPS at all times is not easy once you push details high.

What I mean is, such "gaming" features can be important, but much more important is the quality of the screen panel.
IPS or VA, so long as it's one with good response time, low input lag, good color gamut and black/grey uniformity, and if well calibrated, it's all good. And there are TVs that are great for PC gaming. Websites like RTINGS are valuable resources if doing research on it.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Thanks for the great advice!

I was actually leaing that way and might have pulled the trigger earlier if fot for all the people around telling me how you ca't go back after trying the ultrawide. I just ordered a LG 32GP850-B which was one of my first picks and actually the least expensive. It will be largely enough to get me started and I would; eventually, expand.

But you make me wonder: I haven't really considered large screens and tvs, I thould I would rather, civil servant's pay permitting, move to VR.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Delta-canard said:

Thanks for the great advice!

I was actually leaing that way and might have pulled the trigger earlier if fot for all the people around telling me how you ca't go back after trying the ultrawide. I just ordered a LG 32GP850-B which was one of my first picks and actually the least expensive. It will be largely enough to get me started and I would; eventually, expand.

But you make me wonder: I haven't really considered large screens and tvs, I thould I would rather, civil servant's pay permitting, move to VR.

Very good choice (IMO), enjoy that LG 32GP850-B. 👍👍 It's a really good screen and will deliver excelent PC gaming experience. 
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gp850-b
A prime example of what I mentioned in my previous post about "the sweet spot".

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Really good choice there mate, when you set it up look for the "target framerate control" option under advanced graphics in Radeon. Set if to your desired fps. Then enable Freesync on both the monitor and in Radeon itself. If the option is there make sure you enable the VRR option in Windows.

This should allow for you to turn the graphics settings right up and have a very smooth, may I suggest 60fps experience.

• Like 1