Will/Did the F-14 have the AIM-7P?

roobarbjapan

9 hours ago, DSplayer said:

The 7P has that datalink guidance which allows for it to guide when the seeker itself doesn’t see the target. The warhead itself however is the same as all the other AIM-7s.

Only for the AIM-7P Block II, the Block I doesn't have that.

Not sure which we have in DCS (doesn't help that the name is ambiguous), though apart from the names, the only difference between the AIM-7P.lua and the AIM-7MH.lua is an entry for "rad_correction = 1" [source, with credit going to _Quaggles]

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

4 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Only for the AIM-7P Block II, the Block I doesn't have that.

Not sure which we have in DCS (doesn't help that the name is ambiguous), though apart from the names, the only difference between the AIM-7P.lua and the AIM-7MH.lua is an entry for "rad_correction = 1" [source, with credit going to _Quaggles]

And what does it mean?

2 hours ago, The_Tau said:

And what does it mean?

Your guess is as good as mine, I'm in the same boat as Callsign JoNay

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, lee1hy said:

The current F14's AIM7 is garbage.

The current F14's AIM7 is like any other AIM7 in DCS, because there is only one AIM7 in DCS (including subvariants ofc, but only one -M, -MH, -F, -P etc).

There is nothing different between the F-14's AIM7 and any other AIM7 in DCS.

• Like 4

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The AIM-7 in general is kind of crap, it is usable (particularly the later versions), but hardly the best missile of its time, not even the best Fox 1. It's slow and has poor kinematics, lofting helps a bit with range, but can sometimes result in it taking a long time to get to the target. It's vital to be going fast when trying to score hits with the Sparrow, and to use proper F-pole tactics as to avoid flying into (typically faster) Russian missiles. I've recently started to practice Fox 1 tactics, winning with the Sparrow is not an easy task.

Edited by Dragon1-1

2 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

The AIM-7 in general is kind of crap, it is usable (particularly the later versions), but hardly the best missile of its time, not even the best Fox 1. It's slow and has poor kinematics, lofting helps a bit with range, but can sometimes result in it taking a long time to get to the target. It's vital to be going fast when trying to score hits with the Sparrow, and to use proper F-pole tactics as to avoid flying into (typically faster) Russian missiles. I've recently started to practice Fox 1 tactics, winning with the Sparrow is not an easy task.

If you snake properly, you can make it work against any other fox1 in a 1v1 though. But it takes practice and knowing what you do.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

7 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

There’s a reason they put guns back on the F-4 after relying on AIM-7s.  

• Like 2

This actually had more to do with AIM-4s, which were really crap, particularly in Vietnam, with its electronics-unfriendly conditions. Sparrow's issues in Vietnam came from the VID requirements, which rendered its long range moot and caused its poor turning to become an issue. PAVN didn't use radar missiles on their fighters, so Sparrow's kinematics weren't the primary issue. However, when the Soviets captured an early model Sparrow, they supposedly abandoned the idea of copying it when they realized their own R-23 was better.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The AIM-7P added still more capability, including sixteen times the memory expansion and twice the processor speed of the AIM-7M. It was modified to attack low altitude targets, including anti-ship missiles, and had the ability to receive mid-course up-link information in the same format provided to the Navy's Phoenix, the AMRAAM, and the Standard. As a result of the Gulf War, the US is likely to upgrade the AIM-7 even further, and provide the AIM-7R with better terminal phase control, IR-seeker capability, and electronic countermeasures.

https://csis-website-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/legacy_files/files/media/csis/pubs/941015lessonsgulfiv-chap06.pdf

• Like 2