[4YA] WWII - Project Overlord - historically accurate DCS 1944 server

7 hours ago, Skewgear said:

This should already be happening. Maybe our randomisation of new mission lengths has accidentally lined them back up again. Will check.

This week's release of our 5th June mission should help, though. From the 4YA Discord (link to join is in first post of this thread):

Mission 5th June 1944 D-Day Night V1.22 - now in the regular rotation!

We are now launching our night mission as a 2-hour long intermission in our usual mission selection. Experience the challenge and thrill of night flying, and the excitement of taking part in the first hours of D-Day.

Mission features:
- Night time - check your DCS gamma setting in the options menu
- Illumination for airfields can be requested using F10 radio menu
- Large-scale C-47 wave of the airborne landings, following their historically accurate route
- Allied bomber raids carrying out historical missions
- Large invasion fleet, to be found and attacked by the Axis side
- Historical ground targets for Mosquito squadrons deep behind enemy lines

This sounds like good fun for the Mosquitoes. The nights of early June are close to the shortest nights of the year and at Normandy latitudes it should not be completely dark even in the middle of the night.

Long time ago when the Mosquito forum opened and we were waiting to preorder I posted a story of a mosquito vs. FW-190s over Normandy. While it was technically a night fighter mission, the visually ID’ed the 190s from a couple of mile away and that was after 11 PM.

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

On 6/16/2022 at 7:29 AM, Spirale said:

Great server THX!

I wish DCS WW2 receives more popularity

I´m agree. But we need to scull in the same direction for move the ship forward.
Nerfing enemy planes, or to add unnecessary difficulties, (such as; disabling friendly units icons in F10 map, causing unwanted team mates dispersion) don´t help to increase the population of WWII servers. ... Unless we have a proper radar vectoring system, by radio messages for fighters, as actually they had.

Edited by IIIJG52_Otto_

My biggest pet peeve with this server is the accuracy of the coordinates of the ground enemy units. I'm talking about the targets that are located in the open field areas, i.e. NOT in the cities.

In VR it's extremely difficult to locate them even if you KNOW PRECISELY where they are.

In this server the coordinates are very poor and can cover 5km x 5km blocks, and finding the units is extremely difficult. Majority of the time I find them when they already start shooting at me, and unfortunately it's the only tactic that has the highest chance of me finding the targets.  I sense it's one of the reasons why such a few players are actually interested in working on the ground objectives and simply resort to a never ending CAP.

I know the server admins are all about "team play" and stuff. But sometimes I don't feel like talking to anyone or listening to anyone and just wanted to run couple of ground attacks, and it turns in to a total crapshoot when I can't find targets after circling the objective area for 10 minutes, which usually ends up in someone finally noticing me and shooting me down. Yay.

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 6:38 PM, peachmonkey said:

My biggest pet peeve with this server is the accuracy of the coordinates of the ground enemy units. I'm talking about the targets that are located in the open field areas, i.e. NOT in the cities.

In VR it's extremely difficult to locate them even if you KNOW PRECISELY where they are.

In this server the coordinates are very poor and can cover 5km x 5km blocks, and finding the units is extremely difficult.

Allied strike tasking orders were delivered as six figure grid references on the GSGS maps issued to both RAF and USAAF airmen. Here's the one covering most of the DCS Normandy map. https://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A8474

As you'll see from the scale on the X axis, a six fig grid on these gives a 1km X 1km square. In DCS Normandy a lat long coordinate given to the nearest minute yields a box about 2.5km X 1km, as you'll see by turning on the relevant F10 map overlay.

You're working with coordinates that aren't far off what pilots actually used back then. We've talked about using grid references from the F10 map and have begun introducing them along with the lat/longs but it would be a stretch too far to give 6 fig grids for those, I think.

There's always the 4YA WW2 training server if you want a quick mud moving fix. Targets on that are marked with red smoke, it's hard to miss them!

• Like 5

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

New mission launched: 22nd June 1944.

- new front line design

- active naval and artillery bombardment throughout mission (trial)

- new moving ground target (trial)

- total 9 ground targets 

- dynamic airfield supply network

- mission objective point system

- long term smoke after bomber raids 

- 100% historically accurate ground target locations drawn from RAF and USAAF operational record books and mission reports

- 2x historically accurate B-17 bomber raids

- 1x 99% historically accurate A-20 raid

- controllable AAA guns with Combined Arms

- new briefing format (trial)

The team has worked hard on this one and it's making more use of DCS mission features than ever before.

Personally I'm proud of the A-20 raid which almost exactly follows the original navigation log (heading, timings, speeds, heights, waypoints) of the 416th Bomb Group's raid on Cherbourg on 22nd June 1944. It doglegs mid Channel for gameplay reasons but that is the sole deviation from reality other than aircraft markings. Even then a future update will see each bomber getting its accurate markings and positioning in the formation. What you see is what really happened.

Elsewhere we've got a moving ground convoy advancing on Caen that needs to be stopped. Its location and route are drawn directly from original records. This is the first moving convoy in 4YA WW2 and if it works well, we'll be livening up all our missions with similar features.

Here's hoping the community enjoys the mission!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

On 6/25/2022 at 3:51 PM, peachmonkey said:

you do understand the spotting is limited by the visualization tech, such as LOD's, shading, lighting, and resolution. Making this "realistic" (whatever that means in the context of DCS) is bound to make the experience extremely limited due to the above mentioned visualization problems. I've seen the position was described "targets are in the ORCHARD"... what "orchard" can there possibly be on the MAP in DCS? Is there a nicely fenced patch of land with the trees bearing the apple fruit?  You guys are kidding yourself with this narrow minded position of "realism" and then complain there are no folks using WWII in DCS. One of the reasons why IL2 is popular with WWII is because of spotting capabilities. I flew IL2 for 5 years before switching to DCS, which I love and learning every day, but DCS offers the crappiest spotting capabilities for the aircraft AND ground targets. There reason why there isn't much noise about it because 99% of DCS players fly jets with radars and other computerized targeting tech.

And shove your 'training server' suggestion up yours. Put on a VR helmet and try to find the targets, wise ass.

edit:  I'm giving you guys a constructive criticism and instead of listening to other players the usual unwanted and unsolicited patronizing bull<profanity> ensues.

Most of my squadron friends fly in vr and they often see the ground targets before me on a flat screen. It sounds more of a you problem than a server problem tbh

Edited by Brigg
  • Like 2

• ED Team

A reminder to all 

1.6 No multiplayer disputes on the ED forums, including inter-squad flamewars.

1.2 Forum members must treat each other with respect and tolerance.

rules can be found at the top of the forum, if you are in doubt PM me or Nineline. 

Thread cleaned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

3 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

A reminder to all 

1.6 No multiplayer disputes on the ED forums, including inter-squad flamewars.

1.2 Forum members must treat each other with respect and tolerance.

rules can be found at the top of the forum, if you are in doubt PM me or Nineline. 

Thread cleaned. 

thanks Newy, we appreciate it!! ❤️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A minor request:

If it is possible, please add the remaining mission time to the F10 menu.

I hate planning a long NOE navigation to target and after takeoff get a message that the server will rest before I will reach the target.

• Like 3

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

New feature announcement: full statistics!

We are delighted to announce that the Project Overlord website now has a full set of player statistics: kills, deaths and bail outs. You can view the stats page here; click or tap the column headers to sort the table. It needs a second or two for your browser to crunch the numbers: http://projectoverlord.co.uk/stats/

The statistics for this month only count deaths from 17th July onwards so the kill/death ratio will look a bit funny until all stats reset at the end of the month.

We know there's a large portion of the DCS WW2 multiplayer community that enjoys tracking their progress over time. Hopefully this adds to the enjoyment of Project Overlord.

Edited by Skewgear
removed reference to crashes because we don't have those!
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Our latest update released over the weekend, comprising all ten missions in our rotation:

6th AUGUST 2022

4YA OPERATION WW2 CHANGELOG

- Changes to Allied heavy AAA (added Director to all units, adjusted skill to compensate for their higher precision)
- Increased amount of AAA units near the front line
- Adjusted position of Allied radar stations to precisely match the historical locations
- Added hot-start P-47s to 22nd June mission
- Reduced critical health limit for destruction of bunkers in 28th June mission

There's also a little insight into our thinking on flak guns and their placement over on our dev blog: https://projectoverlord.co.uk/blog/2022/08/07/research-populating-project-overlords-mission-from-combat-reports/

Our next targets for updates will be lowering the cloud base and setting weather to a rough approximation of historical conditions on each day (including turbulence), and enabling random birdstrikes at low level.

Both of these are subject to ingame performance not taking a big hit. Weather conditions at the moment are far nicer than they were in reality because rendering thick low clouds in particular is a real tax on performance. But after months of relentless optimisation we think we have the overhead to make some cautious changes and enhance the experience on Project Overlord.

See you in the skies!

• Like 2

Tried the stable version of the server last weekend. Was demanding for a rookie mustang pilot as was bit lost at first and got jumped ar high alt by 6 109s.

The only thing that bothered me was the fact that the time the server was set as it was kinda dusk/dawn already. Not sure if "regular" combat occured at these hours (apart from the nightfighting that took place in limited numbers) as you virtually cant see anything. Especially during t/o landing w/o airfield illumination is quite... challanging. Not sure if i just happen to be in the wrong mission or time but thats the only negative i have to mention from a subjective pov. Rest was good so far and will try again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doughguy said:

Tried the stable version of the server last weekend. Was demanding for a rookie mustang pilot as was bit lost at first and got jumped ar high alt by 6 109s.

The only thing that bothered me was the fact that the time the server was set as it was kinda dusk/dawn already. Not sure if "regular" combat occured at these hours (apart from the nightfighting that took place in limited numbers) as you virtually cant see anything. Especially during t/o landing w/o airfield illumination is quite... challanging. Not sure if i just happen to be in the wrong mission or time but thats the only negative i have to mention from a subjective pov. Rest was good so far and will try again.

I couldn't like and say thanks at the same time, so thanks!

9 hours ago, Doughguy said:

We don't have a stable release version. Server runs on open beta only. Are you sure you were flying on 4YA?

There's a night mission in the rotation (5th/6th June) and we have a few dawn/dusk starts and finishes. Both sides flew quite a lot at those times of day, some Spitfire squadrons didn't RTB from their final sorties until after 11pm in the days after D-Day. The Luftwaffe carried out most of its effective raids at night to avoid the Allied day fighter patrols, totalling ~150 loitering on CAP over the beaches ready for GCI to call them in.

Ah, beta and stable have merged. You won't see the server after the next open beta release when the branches split again. Recommend you upgrade to open beta, there are guides out there on doing that without redownloading the entire game again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doughguy said:

Cheers, upgrading to a beta made me chucke :D.

ive purely tried it out out interest since im new to mp. If its gone its gone. Atm im just too bad to compete. I keep practicing with a mate tho whos about same level as i until we can hold our own.

but will come back 🙂

The only way to learn is to dive right in and die. A lot. Just like the WWII pilots did.

Hmm... on second thought, I checked and that last statement may not be entirely accurate. 🤔

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

Yes, guys, this program has been in the DCS for a long time, it seems to have come from LO, its use in the WWII world makes the gameplay much easier for those who use it, so spread it among your friends so that everyone is on an equal footing until they turn it off export objects on the server and it won't stop working).

6 hours ago, gordonvembu said:

thnx for the heads up...always amazes me how ppl come up with hacks.

personally, makes the mp gaming more fun as i am now able to find enemies.

some sort of happy medium between this and the status quo might be ideal for gameplay.

Please, pretty pretty please, do NOT download and use that program that post was reeking of malicious intent!

• Thanks 3