[4YA] WWII - Project Overlord - historically accurate DCS 1944 server

A coworker and I are just learning the FW190 and BF109 after flying modern for a while.   Looking forward to jumping into this server and joining the battle.

Is it NOOB friendly?

Gear: Asus 690Z, i5 12600K / 64GB DDR5 / Samsung 2TB nVME / RTX 4090 24gb / TM-Warthog / x56 Throttle w/pedals / HP Reverb G2 v2, Tracker IR

Irish 1-1 | Maleioch

dcs sign.png

2 hours ago, Indyplumber said:

A coworker and I are just learning the FW190 and BF109 after flying modern for a while.   Looking forward to jumping into this server and joining the battle.

Is it NOOB friendly?

Use SRS and fly with your coworker or someone as a wingman, its a much better experience, and eventually I recommend you guys join a squad. I am new to DCS and after a week of flying on my own , joined I/JG7 squad and now really I am enjoying the experience.

Edited by motoadve
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 2:00 PM, Indyplumber said:

Is it NOOB friendly?

If by n00b friendly, you mean people will help you and answer questions on SRS/Discord, then yes.

If by n00b friendly, you mean that OpFor will go easy on you, well .... nope 😄 There are some very skilled pilots on both sides that will absolutely school you 🙂

See you in the skies! 😄

10 hours ago, Simps.NL said:

If by n00b friendly, you mean people will help you and answer questions on SRS/Discord, then yes.

If by n00b friendly, you mean that OpFor will go easy on you, well .... nope 😄 There are some very skilled pilots on both sides that will absolutely school you 🙂

See you in the skies! 😄

Definitely meant the first sentence.  I expect no quarter in the skies.

• Like 1

Gear: Asus 690Z, i5 12600K / 64GB DDR5 / Samsung 2TB nVME / RTX 4090 24gb / TM-Warthog / x56 Throttle w/pedals / HP Reverb G2 v2, Tracker IR

Irish 1-1 | Maleioch

dcs sign.png

This is probably covered already somewhere here. Can liveries be added for aircraft? Such as updates to the default skins or custom versions? Thanks!

Rig Specs, i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 Plus MB, 64 GB Kingston Vengeance Beast ram, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1 TB NVme SSD Drive, EVGA 750 Watt PS. Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vizio 43 inch G-Sync Compatible TV, Oculus Quest 3, CH Hotas,( Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, All axis analog pots converted to sensors), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, V3.

@13sq*Axe

Since the server is focussing on historical realism we won't allow free choice of liveries and custom liveries. But we offer a mod pack for nicer, historical liveries made specifically to fit the server's need. You can find the download links in the 4YA Discord 

https://discord.gg/GY8PY7Bv

The way the livery mods for 4YA Project Overlord work is that they overwrite some of the default liveries, which are almost all not fitting for the time period and squadrons of the Normandy campaign, with custom made historical liveries. Those were made with great care for historical accuracy based on reference photographs and other sources of squadrons that were involved in the Normandy battle.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Night Owl said:

@13sq*Axe

Since the server is focussing on historical realism we won't allow free choice of liveries and custom liveries. But we offer a mod pack for nicer, historical liveries made specifically to fit the server's need. You can find the download links in the 4YA Discord 

https://discord.gg/GY8PY7Bv

The way the livery mods for 4YA Project Overlord work is that they overwrite some of the default liveries, which are almost all not fitting for the time period and squadrons of the Normandy campaign, with custom made historical liveries. Those were made with great care for historical accuracy based on reference photographs and other sources of squadrons that were involved in the Normandy battle.

Many Thanks! Night Owl!

Edited by 13sq*Axe

Rig Specs, i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 Plus MB, 64 GB Kingston Vengeance Beast ram, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1 TB NVme SSD Drive, EVGA 750 Watt PS. Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vizio 43 inch G-Sync Compatible TV, Oculus Quest 3, CH Hotas,( Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, All axis analog pots converted to sensors), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, V3.

Question about aircraft ordnance, specifically P-51. I bring up the arming menu after spawning and it seems to let me load rockets but they will not fire. I have weapons release button assigned, switches set and can fire them in other missions so I think I'm doing that right. I'm assuming they are not there. With no outside view I can't check. So only certain airfields will allow certain ordnances?  

9 hours ago, 13sq*Axe said:

Question about aircraft ordnance, specifically P-51. I bring up the arming menu after spawning and it seems to let me load rockets but they will not fire. I have weapons release button assigned, switches set and can fire them in other missions so I think I'm doing that right. I'm assuming they are not there. With no outside view I can't check. So only certain airfields will allow certain ordnances?  

You can check the F10 Map, there you can see which airfields provide rockets/bombs/repair/refuel.

HVAR rockets are not available in the earlier missions, I think they are available starting mid-july. 

Are teams communicating with something other than SRS?  I've logged in a few times this week and there will be 8-10 pilots on the Axis SRS channel but I don't hear anyone communicating.  Very little if anything other than silence.  Are they using your Discord to comm?

Irish 1-1 | Maleioch

dcs sign.png

On 3/31/2023 at 3:13 PM, Indyplumber said:

Are teams communicating with something other than SRS?  I've logged in a few times this week and there will be 8-10 pilots on the Axis SRS channel but I don't hear anyone communicating.  Very little if anything other than silence.  Are they using your Discord to comm?

I experienced that last evening.  a fairly large number on the server but no one using SRS. 

On 3/30/2023 at 2:18 AM, Nirvi said:

You can check the F10 Map, there you can see which airfields provide rockets/bombs/repair/refuel.

HVAR rockets are not available in the earlier missions, I think they are available starting mid-july. 

I was in a "July 6 44" mission last evening on the server. The F10 map had "rockets/bombs/repair/refuel" labels for the US airfields if I was reading it correctly. However all I could get in a load out was M64's. I was trying to take out a moving train target and the 50 cals on the P-51 didn't seem to phase it. I was surprised by that. I got close once with bombs but no cigar. Rockets would have been great. looks like the next July mission " July 18" will allow them. the labels on the F10 map are a bit confusing on the pre late July missions. 

Edited by 13sq*Axe

RADIO CHANNEL SPLIT TRIAL

Since its inception Project Overlord has always used one single SRS channel for all radio comms. After player feedback over the last few months we're going to trial splitting it into two separate channels for airfield calls and combat (main guard) calls. Some players say airfield comms interfere with critical combat calls, and vice versa.

The trial will take place this weekend (15th & 16th April). All radio calls to do with airfield movements (taxiing, takeoff, landings, circuits) will take place on a separate channel from combat calls (querying bogeys, calling break if someone's being bounced, formation comms on the way to ground targets etc)

ALLIES: Channel A is for Airfield Channel B is for Battle

AXIS: Channel II is for Airfield Channel triangle (III) is for Battle comms

We will observe this weekend's trial and use the results, along with your feedback, to help decide whether to make this a permanent change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

• 2 weeks later...

I am here again to congratulate you on how your server has evolved in the last few days. 
the last tuesday i've gratifully amazed when i could enter in the 4YA-Overlord server with 100 virtual pilots on-line. I had not seen that large pilots meeting in a server from old times of iL2-46 or iL2-CloD.. i had never seen this in DCS WWII servers.

unfortunately, i was forced to uninstalling SRS because is not comfortable to talk with SRS in server comms and Discord with my squad mates at same time even in different languages, but text chat worked propertly in the server when it was needed.

By the way, i would suggest that the adding of the friendly units icons in F10 map, could be a good help for find and help teammates in the server, without sustancial lost of historical accuracy.

this is a video of my sortie. i hope that you like it .

Edited by IIIJG52_Otto_
  • Like 1

Flew there today, I kept seeing "unit" through the clouds, I thought they were planes at first, but appears to be various ground units I could see through the clouds at 13 000 feet..

Also I'm disapointed I could not use the track file, I had hoped to make a video of my short adventure there today. But it appears since the server doesn't allow F2 views, you can't watch the track file either. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Flew there today, I kept seeing "unit" through the clouds, I thought they were planes at first, but appears to be various ground units I could see through the clouds at 13 000 feet..
Also I'm disapointed I could not use the track file, I had hoped to make a video of my short adventure there today. But it appears since the server doesn't allow F2 views, you can't watch the track file either. 
You can change the track file (from your Saved Games/Tracks/Multiplayer) into a mission file by changing the .trk extension to .miz , then open it in mission editor. Change mission settings to allow views, then save. Change .miz back to .trk, then watch the track with external views.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

34 minutes ago, Scotch75 said:

You can change the track file (from your Saved Games/Tracks/Multiplayer) into a mission file by changing the .trk extension to .miz , then open it in mission editor. Change mission settings to allow views, then save. Change .miz back to .trk, then watch the track with external views.
Cheers!

Ah thanks.

Will the track work or just break like regular singleplayer tracks?

Ah thanks.
Will the track work or just break like regular singleplayer tracks?
I did it the other day, and I followed my aircraft ok for over 30 mins. The track seemed to hold together. The only thing I'm unsure of is if you see players spawn in or out. I was on the server by myself, so I couldn't confirm.

• Thanks 1

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Not that much happened. I came across 2 Ju88s, and on it's second burst took out all my guns and cannon.  So I went and landed on nearest friendlyish airfield.

Yep, that sounds about right for me too. Laser accurate gunners. Even trying to do Boom & Zoom, I can never get the geometry correct and I end up a sitting duck on their six

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scotch75 said:

Yep, that sounds about right for me too. Laser accurate gunners. Even trying to do Boom & Zoom, I can never get the geometry correct and I end up a sitting duck on their six emoji1787.png

I just happened upon then I was flying in the general direction of Carentan, and two spots were heading the same direction  so I assumed they were friendly.  Until I got close and then I was behind them at the same altitude and was to lazy to try and duck under them I had just enough time to get in a few inaccurate burst before my plane got riddled. Surprised they didn't kill my engine. 

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Gunfreak:

@Gunfreak

This is unfortunately a multi threading bug. Aircraft, ground units and balloons will render in front of clouds at longer distances. If you can fly in single threading I suggest to do that to avoid this confusing bug. 

Edited by Night Owl