[4YA] WWII - Project Overlord - historically accurate DCS 1944 server

7 hours ago, Decibel dB said:

https://projectoverlord.co.uk website is down?

Whoops, forgot to post here.

We've moved the website to a new host and given it a little design refresh. It's also easier for the whole team to use.

It was down for the last few days while we did the necessary work. It's still a work in progress as a lot of old content and cruft from the previous design needs stripping out by hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

Since the new website is up I don't show on the stats anymore I/JG7_moto, any ideas why is this happening?

I did fly yesterday, I did get one kill, but my name is not on the stats.

Edited by motoadve

The stats server picks up your ingame name as set in DCS. When you open the multiplayer server selection screen check your ingame name at top right.

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

20 hours ago, motoadve said:

nullI have not changed anything, my name still there.

image.png

Kills made on other 4YA servers do not count towards your stats on Project Overlord. I can see you had a blast on the 4YA WW2 training server the other day but none of those will show up in stats for PO.

-------------------

From earlier this month, before I forget to post it here:

NEW NORMANDY 2 MISSION
6th July 1944 v5

- new airfield layout using historical Axis airfields
- closer fields can be used to rearm and refuel for Axis, some have limited slots
- new historical ground targets at chosen positions to focus encounters
- new structures targets making use of the new map assets
- trains and moving convoys as targets of opportunity
- adjusted the position of all ground units and all spawns
- AI fighter-bomber raids spawning at intervals to attack targets when population is low
- implemented new FW-190 A8 liveries from the latest update of the mod pack.

Happy flying! 😃

Edited by Skewgear

57 minutes ago, Skewgear said:

Kills made on other 4YA servers do not count towards your stats on Project Overlord. I can see you had a blast on the 4YA WW2 training server the other day but none of those will show up in stats for PO.

-------------------

From earlier this month, before I forget to post it here:

NEW NORMANDY 2 MISSION
6th July 1944 v5

- new airfield layout using historical Axis airfields
- closer fields can be used to rearm and refuel for Axis, some have limited slots
- new historical ground targets at chosen positions to focus encounters
- new structures targets making use of the new map assets
- trains and moving convoys as targets of opportunity
- adjusted the position of all ground units and all spawns
- AI fighter-bomber raids spawning at intervals to attack targets when population is low
- implemented new FW-190 A8 liveries from the latest update of the mod pack.

Happy flying! 😃

This was a mission on PO server, lasted only 30 minutes, took off, shot down a Spitfire, got some damage by flak, then landed.
Is it because of the mission lenght? Needs to be a certain amount of time?

Not a big deal , but I am in the Ironman Campaign with our squad.

I just tired the server and it seems very nice! Thank you!

I have one question: twice, while overflying friendly territory, my airplane was instantly and fatally damaged (basically exploding mid air). I didn't see any flak or enemy planes shooting at me, just a loud bang out of the blue, fire and big holes everywhere in the wings, just before exploding. Can you explain what it was? 

I checked the tacview but it only shows my airplane and no other units. 

Using the multi-thread exe. 

Thanks! 

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

3 hours ago, bkthunder said:

I just tired the server and it seems very nice! Thank you!

I have one question: twice, while overflying friendly territory, my airplane was instantly and fatally damaged (basically exploding mid air). I didn't see any flak or enemy planes shooting at me, just a loud bang out of the blue, fire and big holes everywhere in the wings, just before exploding. Can you explain what it was? 

I checked the tacview but it only shows my airplane and no other units. 

Using the multi-thread exe. 

Thanks! 

I am going to take a wild guess that you were flying an Allied aircraft straight and level over Caen at low to medium level. What you describe sounds like the results of getting bounced or someone sneaking up on your low six and letting rip.

The alternative is a direct hit from heavy flak. Normally the guns take a minute or so to fully zero in on target.

Tacview is not installed on the PO server; the required data export was being used to cheat by some players so we disabled it. You can obtain a tacview by opening the mission track file in the DCS mission editor, enabling all views and then running the replay with tacview enabled.

@motoadve

It can occasionally happen that kills get missed. We have managed to make this much more rare with the custom 4YA kills logic script, but we can't avoid it to 100% since at some point we still have to use core DCS features. 

Unfortunately nothing we can do about those rare cases. Though I like to think that historically they also sometimes weren't able to get a kill confirmed 🙂

Edited by Night Owl
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 9:14 PM, Night Owl said:

@bkthunder
One question, did you buy the ww2 assets pack? 

Because the server requires it to work properly, if you don't own it then you will for example not see the flak, only feel it's effects. 

That must be it, I don't have the asset pack and not planning to buy it tbh

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

16 hours ago, bkthunder said:

That must be it, I don't have the asset pack and not planning to buy it tbh

You won't be able to fly on the server from this DCS update onwards. There was a bug in the core program (now fixed) which allowed players without the WW2 asset pack to join even though it's a mandatory module.

Yep I just noticed, it is what it is. I'm not going to buy an asset pack the price of a full module, that should be part of the base game. I have plenty of ED products paid for in full and waiting to be finished, won't be adding more to the list. That said, the server looked fun and a great way to get into DCS WW2, I wish them continued success!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 2:32 PM, bkthunder said:

Yep I just noticed, it is what it is. I'm not going to buy an asset pack the price of a full module, that should be part of the base game. I have plenty of ED products paid for in full and waiting to be finished, won't be adding more to the list. That said, the server looked fun and a great way to get into DCS WW2, I wish them continued success!

I got the WWII assets pack with the Normandy map, 5 years ago for 29 bucks altogether. Maybe that was a sale.  It was sold together. I never even knew what it was for until I read this thread. 

• 1 month later...

Wake turbulence is now enabled in all missions following successful testing yesterday.

Birdstrikes are also now enabled - pilots who constantly fly at treetop height may find engine failures occur, simulating a bird hitting the propeller. DCS does not display visual models of birds but calculates the probability of strikes occurring. Fly above 600ft to avoid birdstrikes.

LotATC settings updated to make them more realistic to WWII for our GCIs and to use our radars' performance in a more realistic manner.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 12:53 AM, Skewgear said:

Birdstrikes are also now enabled - pilots who constantly fly at treetop height may find engine failures occur, simulating a bird hitting the propeller. DCS does not display visual models of birds but calculates the probability of strikes occurring. Fly above 600ft to avoid birdstrikes.

Are you guys trying to make the server as unfun for Mosquitoes as possible?

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

4 hours ago, Bozon said:

Are you guys trying to make the server as unfun for Mosquitoes as possible?

Speaking as a regular Mosquito nav and pilot, no. This is aimed at the tedious people who constantly fly in little circles over the Caen rooftops while ignoring every single mission design feature of the Project Overlord server and then whine about being bored. I'm sure we've all experienced the chain of 8 or 9 non-SRS Mustangs and Spitfires chasing a lone 190 or 109 in that area.

The typical Mosquito mission profile should involve popping up to check navigation every so often, or over cliffs or hills. That should reduce the odds of bird strikes to a realistic level. We're monitoring the implementation and will review if it's causing problems.

• Like 2

@Skewgear OK, I hope this is not exaggerated and “Fortress Europe” will not be defended by pigeons.

If there is no graphic representation of a bird strike, can we get some message? What I fear is that I’ll be hit by birds and not even realize why my engine died: was it ground fire? did I miss-handle it? did I hit a treetop?

Most bird strikes did not kill the engine - at least so it seems. This may be a clear case of survivors bias though, where the cases of dead engine did not return to report it… IDK.

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!