SLAMER, fog at 105Nm range in DL13

Anubis_94

Hello,

TLDR: While using the SLAMER in F18 with DL13, a fog seem to be present at 105Nm range from shooter.

Details (and little history): at first the issue of a "blank", "too bright" DL13 was reported.

We assumed the new FLIR would fix the issue, but we encountered again the issue in my squad last week.

Investigation shown that, if the missile was far away from ~100Nm from the shooter, display was lighten, maybe in an attempt to indicate the missile was too far for comm.

But the fact that, target was still visible and sharp when missile was about to hit (<1Nm) was odd: it wasn't a distance issue.

So, next test:

A hornet in active pause, 125Nm from a target. SLAMER activate at 60Nm, FLT LOW to see the ground.

A fog seem to be present at 105Nm range from shooter.

Attached a track/ACMI/Video showing the issue.

The fog can be seen starting at 2.30, and range is mesured at 3.30

Target is, as previously, visible when missile is about to hit (<1Nm, at 4.13)

Extract from the video, where the lake is masked by the fog

image.png

Issue was observed on Persian Gulf and Syria, with various weather (incl. CAVOK) (EDIT: memory error from author)

SLAMER_1msl_125_actv_60Nm.trk SLAMER_1msl_125_actv_60Nm.acmi

Edited by Anubis_94
Typo & screen

• 2 weeks later...

Did it, nothing changed with the visib range.

But still new elements

There is an error in the OP: I though we encountered the issue with CAVOK meteo, but I certainly confused with a light scatered.

Following tests, with extreme visib range (settings at video end), show the issue with a meteo, light scatered, and no issue, with no meteo.

Issue with SCT LIGHT

SLAMER_110Nm_SCT_LIGHT_mto.JPG

No issue with no meteo

SLAMER_110Nm_CAVOK_mto.JPG

SLAMER_110Nm_SCT_LIGHT.trk SLAMER_110Nm_CAVOK.trk

Edited by Anubis_94